Been seeing some reports. Anyone else have anything? I had two Dakotas are the mid size is perfect for me. Any info is appreciated. Have looked at the Ridgeline but just not sure.

Sure haven"t seen or read anything on a new Dakota. Be nice to see one that got decent fuel millage.

Supposedly a new V-6 that provides that. Found some more info using Google, looks promising.

Hi Tex!  Have you checked out the soon-coming Jeep "Wrangler truck"?  It will be sort of a "mid-size", and prolly with 3.6 liter V-6 and/or the new 2 liter turbo 4 cylinder which apparently has been tested in at 6.5 seconds 0-60 in the regular Wrangler, and is supposed to get pretty good fuel mileage.  The horsepower and torque on the new 2 liter 4 is incredible, so if they can make enough of them, maybe they could also be available in a new Dakota.

My brother has a 2-door rear-drive 05 Dakota with the 4.7 V-8 and loves it---among other things uses it to gather/haul wood to his place in Eastern Sierras for splitting for winter heat.

Edited by BSAVictor
  • Like 1

My last 01 Dakota had the 4.7, it was a great engine for me but did not get great mpg 16--19.  But it was the perfect size P/U for me for light duty stuff and my bike.  What I have seen of the Jeep variant is a tiny bed not big enough for a bike. Maybe that will change. I really like the photos of the new Dakota if they are accurate.

I thought the new Jeep truck bed looks long enough to carry two light-weight bikes with gate down, or one bike loaded diagonally into front corner?

22 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

but did not get great mpg 16--19

One of the more fuel efficient is the ecoboost Ford but I don't think it's besting your Dakota's old MPG by much. I read that they're 20 MPG but EPA says 22 combined.

Honda Ridgeline is same at 22 MPG combined. I don't think you're gonna find anything much better than that in a "full size" pick-em-up truck. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2018_Honda_Ridgeline.shtml

Frontier is 21 combined city/highway. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2018_Nissan_Frontier.shtml

Looks like the Chevy Colorado diesel is best at 25 combined. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/39069.shtml

For me, going to a "mid size" to save 3 MPG is not worth the compromises.

Yeah, might be some time before Dakota comes back out, if it does.  Jeep truck coming soon for sure, but price will prolly be relatively higher than that of Dakota, and prolly Jeep truck won't discount much due to likely high inelasticity of demand (those who want it will pay "more"---everything else equal---to get it).  So depending on your timetable and budget....

If I had a longer garage in my condo complex, I'd like to someday get a new four-door Dakota--to me they would be the best set of all-round vehicle characteristics! I don't know how much parkin you do around binesses and newer housing, but around these parts, ain't hardly no proper room for FULL-size pickemups!  But then again, Kahleephoneea ain't the pick-up capital that Tejas is!

Edited by BSAVictor

The midsize Dakota--Honda--Frontier--Ranger--Colorado is perfect for me. No need/desire for a lumbering full size that requires a ladder to climb into. A dirtbike, lawnmower etc is all I will ever haul so no need for the extra capacity or towing. And I like loading up my last Dakota and driving it in my garage so the next morning all I had to do is tighten the tie downs and head off to the trails. No loading in bad weather and security is a good thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

The midsize Dakota--Honda--Frontier--Ranger--Colorado is perfect for me. No need/desire for a lumbering full size that requires a ladder to climb into. A dirtbike, lawnmower etc is all I will ever haul so no need for the extra capacity or towing. And I like loading up my last Dakota and driving it in my garage so the next morning all I had to do is tighten the tie downs and head off to the trails. No loading in bad weather and security is a good thing.

My 07 Titan was full size but now is looking fairly svelte compared to the 11 year newer "full size" trucks. Mine is a 2WD which keeps the load height sane and step in height too. No reason for 4WD for me anyway. No reason for bigger tires either. Like you, I only haul what you listed plus occasional bark mulch, gravel, drain rock, cut up trees and shrubs from the yard, etc.

Yep, trucks have grown to the ridiculous.  My heavy work days are over but once you have a truck of any type is is hard to do without one. Very handy. And a nice bike in the back of a p/u just looks right!

• Like 1

On January 13, 2018 at 8:37 PM, BSAVictor said:

I thought the new Jeep truck bed looks long enough to carry two light-weight bikes with gate down, or one bike loaded diagonally into front corner?

On January 14, 2018 at 10:22 AM, YHGEORGE said:

Haven't seen that, will search some more.

FYI... my Jeep Scrambler thread over on Wrangler Forums.. 

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f714/jeep-wrangler-jl-scrambler-pickup-towing-test-2128633.html

On 1/14/2018 at 10:49 AM, shrubitup said:

One of the more fuel efficient is the ecoboost Ford but I don't think it's besting your Dakota's old MPG by much. I read that they're 20 MPG but EPA says 22 combined.

Honda Ridgeline is same at 22 MPG combined. I don't think you're gonna find anything much better than that in a "full size" pick-em-up truck. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2018_Honda_Ridgeline.shtml

Frontier is 21 combined city/highway. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2018_Nissan_Frontier.shtml

Looks like the Chevy Colorado diesel is best at 25 combined. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/39069.shtml

For me, going to a "mid size" to save 3 MPG is not worth the compromises.

The full size trucks tend to get better mileage in my day to day driving than the mid sized trucks. I was driving a base V6 F150 rental not too long ago and it was getting 22 mpgs, driving my tacoma the same way I typically get 16 to 17. The smaller trucks have the same poor aerodynamics, with under powered motors anymore. The diesel half tons are pushing 30 mpgs with a lot of real world drivers getting around that maybe a mile or two less. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, busted bones said:

The full size trucks tend to get better mileage in my day to day driving than the mid sized trucks. I was driving a base V6 F150 rental not too long ago and it was getting 22 mpgs, driving my tacoma the same way I typically get 16 to 17. The smaller trucks have the same poor aerodynamics, with under powered motors anymore. The diesel half tons are pushing 30 mpgs with a lot of real world drivers getting around that maybe a mile or two less. 

Yeah, my ram 1500 with the v6 is averaging 22-23 in my area, which is all rolling hills (as compared to ~15mpg for the 06 kia sorento the ram replaced). Outside of parking and maneuverability I don't get the smaller trucks.

• Like 2

I and I don't think anyone here like me is talking about ten year old models. The new Chev/Ford/Dodge models will get excellent mileage but that is just part of the pkg. Several other factors come into play. And more importantly, this thread is/was not a comparison. Simply a request for info. No need to turn it into an oil thread.

• Like 1

Sorry, didn't mean to booger up your discussion. The trade show is ongoing (or just finished) in detroit so I'll bet there's a lot of info out there now.

2 hours ago, Marylander said:

Sorry, didn't mean to booger up your discussion. The trade show is ongoing (or just finished) in detroit so I'll bet there's a lot of info out there now.

Didn't know that, thanks. I wonder is anyone even got to go with the crazy weather.