No more hideous fork boots:)

Ever since I got the bike I have loathed the ugly fork boots on my S model. Of course I don't want to spend $500+ converting to SM forks strictly for looks. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. I also don't care for how the Fork Sox look. I saw the ktm blade style mod, but can't find those for sale anywhere. So I ran across this picture on here from 2009 a dude used SM fork guards on his S. He only posted one pic tho, no explanation or anything. So I decided to try it myself. Behold, the finished product:thumbsup:

IMG_20180113_062133363.thumb.jpg.8273f18a8c1c58434cb3e2d2c02ff0db.jpg

To my surprise it actually fit right up. I got UFO ones and all I had to do was pop out the little metal bushings they had shoved in the hole. Then the bottom bolt from the bottom triple tree clamp went right in, just had to drill one more hole for the top and Dremel a little bit of plastic away to make room for the head of the bolt. And it mounted right up. I'll post some more pics below of the process. Also it has two more holes on the front of the guard, I put a zip tie thru one of those on the speedo cable side, and went around the bottom clamp to hold it in place. The brake hose side, I just bent the top brake hose guide against the guard and that's holding that side in place. I removed the lower white brake hose clamp because it was getting in the way when the forks compressed. Then I bent a little piece of aluminum into shape and used that as the brake hose guide, I still need to paint it black. Obviously since these fork guards are on the opposite side they're intended to be on(since they're upside down) the brake hose guide mount is now on the speedo cable side. I think I'm going to try to utilize that as the speedo cable guide and get rid of the ugly white one. And of course before mounting the fork guard you have to screw into place the little fork guard guide, I put that right below the biggest bulge at the top of the lower fork, it's not made to be on something that big in diameter but it does work. In my opinion this looks 100x better and is also more functional than the fork boots. Just thought I'd leave this here because I don't want to be greedy with this:) I've never seen it done before other than that one guy in 2009 so I figure most of you haven't thought of it either and would maybe be interested in doing it yourself. IMG_20180111_173030404.thumb.jpg.00b43466ede6328f83221fec9e8a80c6.jpg

IMG_20180111_173043721.thumb.jpg.6b60a35e4d51b33aa191da7224d3f6c0.jpg

IMG_20180111_173130235.thumb.jpg.117ba810ab82bb8cdc11e1510eb8fe9c.jpg

IMG_20180111_183129769.thumb.jpg.d82217907cc5d263a40abede5f4ac540.jpg

IMG_20180111_185923823.thumb.jpg.43e0732b39cb59c66377a0a0b9a5bc69.jpg

IMG_20180111_185930478.thumb.jpg.28d6d02b2c38e4d22074dabe3ef4ac43.jpg

IMG_20180113_062126616.thumb.jpg.3cd041cc16a1d4e1e716633c0e11e915.jpg

Looks better, but I think you need to put gatorz (that's what they used to be called) on to keep the dirt from getting by the dust seal that is now exposed

I like my fork gaiters...:rolleyes:

Edited by Jboat

Nice conversion. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Dmouse said:

Looks better, but I think you need to put gatorz (that's what they used to be called) on to keep the dirt from getting by the dust seal that is now exposed

You don't think the dust seals will be enough? I figured modern mx bikes don't use anything like that behind their guards so I figured I'd be ok

1 hour ago, Bm1997 said:

You don't think the dust seals will be enough? I figured modern mx bikes don't use anything like that behind their guards so I figured I'd be ok

From past experience, I would say no, the dust seals are not enough. If you don't take it off-road at all, it might be OK

From my experience trail riding..., bikes with USD forks (and thus more exposed seals) seem to have leaking seals way more often. 

20171129_223828030_iOS.jpg.9296a0b4dad622758de1e78fcc846f17.jpg

Blue gators installed - wouldn't be without.  I have them on both my bikes.  The other bike (KLX450r) is used for single track trails and is way more exposed to dirt and crud.  Best $19 spent on prevention.

7 hours ago, Jboat said:

I like my fork gaiters...:rolleyes:

I like mine too. :D

IMG_20160609_124106_hdr.jpg

I like gaiters, put them on all my bikes. Old school is cool! Of course, i'm an Old Fart who remembers when guys rode Harleys, BSA's and Triumphs in the woods. Your mod is well done and I'm glad that you like it. It's you, who you have to please and nobody else. Keep the rubber side down!

Looks terrible to me.

Also looks to me like your front brake hose is likely to be eaten by the spokes/rotor soon.

1 hour ago, kevvyd said:

Looks terrible to me.

Also looks to me like your front brake hose is likely to be eaten by the spokes/rotor soon.

To each his own, but no the brake hose has no way of going into the path of the spokes or rotor 

It might look better but in no way is it more functional than gaiters. The gaiters block 100% of debris and water from getting anywhere near the fork seals, that's functional.

27 minutes ago, iceman73 said:

It might look better but in no way is it more functional than gaiters. The gaiters block 100% of debris and water from getting anywhere near the fork seals, that's functional.

The neoprene type "gaiters" also do a wonderful job of trapping dirt, moisture, and abrasives right up against the legs and seals of the fork...exactly where you want that stuff.

U know, rather than just taking the 2 minutes every few rides to clean your seals...

10 hours ago, Bm1997 said:

To each his own, but no the brake hose has no way of going into the path of the spokes or rotor 

Not trying to flame here.  I agree.  To each his own. 

BUT...If the guards are affixed to the upper leg/lower part of the triple clamp--->and then the hose is affixed to the tab on the guard--->  Then the hose will be forced down toward the hub, and possibly the spokes or rotor...no?

Unless that piece that affixes the hose to the guard allows for sliding.  Which I cannot seem to discriminate from your pics.

When I ground my front end out a whole load of brake hose shoots up through that top guide eye... I'd hate to think what is happening to that hose if it's now clamped at the top and so has to flex at the bottom instead, not to mention the risk of it getting snagged on something.

Is that how it is?

Hey BM1997, take a close look at what kevvyd says about the hose path, caught my eye and concern also. That hose must either move freely through the bracket or deflect somewhere below the bracket if it can't.

Just another fine example why not to buy a used motorcycle.

3 hours ago, kevvyd said:

Not trying to flame here.  I agree.  To each his own. 

BUT...If the guards are affixed to the upper leg/lower part of the triple clamp--->and then the hose is affixed to the tab on the guard--->  Then the hose will be forced down toward the hub, and possibly the spokes or rotor...no?

Unless that piece that affixes the hose to the guard allows for sliding.  Which I cannot seem to discriminate from your pics.

Yeah, I guess my pictures are inaccurate as far as that goes. Originally it was fixed, but when compressing the forks I found what you just stated to be true of course. I'm working in a clamp for the bottom fork and a sliding piece to mount to the fork guard. And it does look way better in person, my garage is tightly packed so I couldn't get a good picture. But the fork boots just weren't cutting it for me look wise, plus they're really hard to keep clean so they're always muddy. And since I plan on converting to SM one day I didn't want the fork boots messing up the SM look. 

1 hour ago, DrzDick said:

When I ground my front end out a whole load of brake hose shoots up through that top guide eye... I'd hate to think what is happening to that hose if it's now clamped at the top and so has to flex at the bottom instead, not to mention the risk of it getting snagged on something.

Is that how it is?

1 hour ago, shuswap1 said:

Hey BM1997, take a close look at what kevvyd says about the hose path, caught my eye and concern also. That hose must either move freely through the bracket or deflect somewhere below the bracket if it can't.

22 minutes ago, mousie said:

Just another fine example why not to buy a used motorcycle.

Take a look at my most recent post. Don't worry I'm an engineer I take things like that into consideration...