Bm1997

No more hideous fork boots:)

54 posts in this topic

Nope.... still not for me I'm afraid. Looks wrong as there should be some beefy forks at the top to balance out the size of those chunky looking guards.

Only benefit I can see is they are protecting the lower fork legs but at the cost of making the sliding surface more vulnerable and adding a little weight.

3 minutes ago, Padilen said:
37 minutes ago, Dmouse said:
Dr. Smith was one of the creepiest guys of all time!

And the Burger King, "King"

I happen to think the BK guy does funny stuff, despite looking really F'ed up! Dr. Smith comes off like a boys gymnastics doctor to me

18 hours ago, Marc05 said:

I think that bushing you removed served a purpose.

Maybe as an engineer you have already calculated... 

But I belive you have removed the piece that transfered the appropriate tension, provided by the bolt, around your plastic piece and directly to your fork clamp. I would suspect your plastic protector is going to crush or wear quickly, and that bolt will loose the proper tension, if not all the tension it is providing for your fork clamp.

Unless I am not understanding your mod correctly

Yeah that is the purpose the bushing served, but I have torqued the bolt down to the correct torque and the plastic did compress a bit but not all that much, it still retains it's rigidity

4 hours ago, Dmouse said:

The OPs' fork guards are on the upper leg instead of the usual lower, a little unconventional

Look at the old RMs, also older KTMs, and Yamaha made a big SM early 2000, they all utilized this design. It's not unheard of, that's where I got my idea

40 minutes ago, Bm1997 said:

Look at the old RMs, also older KTMs, and Yamaha made a big SM early 2000, they all utilized this design. It's not unheard of, that's where I got my idea

Yours are protecting the correct portion of the fork tube, it's just that being up higher, the upper part is less likely to be damaged, therefor not as needed. The upside down fork has them on the lower leg

1 hour ago, Bm1997 said:

Yeah that is the purpose the bushing served, but I have torqued the bolt down to the correct torque and the plastic did compress a bit but not all that much, it still retains it's rigidity

I would expect that to loosen as the plastic loses it's elasticity. Might overcome the bolt loosening with a dab of re-usable lock -tite. That what I use here and there with small fasteners I don't want to check after every blinkin' ride.....or replace all the time.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, Dmouse said:

Yours are protecting the correct portion of the fork tube, it's just that being up higher, the upper part is less likely to be damaged, therefor not as needed. The upside down fork has them on the lower leg

I mainly did it for looks. I think the boots are ugly and impossible to keep clean. I don't mind cleaning the mud off the upper forks after every ride. I rarely even get my bike that muddy, usually street riding or dirt, rarely mud. Anyway I'm happy with how it turned out, tomorrow is gonna warm up so I should get around to putting the finishing touches on it, also may look for some bushings to replace the old smaller ones as everyone seems worried about my bolts backing out

Good job making it work, I also don't like the stock look.  I have the KTM setup you mentioned.  If anyone is interested this is from a 1999 250 EXC and if your Google Fu is strong, I think you can still find these parts.  You just have to shorten (less tall) your headlight bracket to make room for the mounting.

2 x 50301090250    Clamp protector guide

1 x 5460139000030  Fork protection guide R/S    
1 x 5460129000030  Fork protection guide L/S

1 x 50301093000    Fork protector R/S black
1 x 50301092000    Fork protector L/S black

TMbbZEf.jpg

SPQvxWc.jpg

BBjS5oM.jpg

-mtnpat

Edited by mtnpat
2 people like this

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:54 AM, ohiodrz400sm said:

I like it, it's different than everyone else.

....Riders are a vain bunch. We think if it isn't good enough for a pro then surely it's not good enough for use. Usually the exact opposite is true..

I see this as "words from the wise"...:cool:

To each their own and don't let "what the pro's need" as a limiting factor on going down your own path for off track riding.

Bullsnoot aside, most of us don't ride in stadiums nor do we need half the stuff out their that's for sale these days to have a really great time riding. 

:ride:

2 people like this

Very true. There is a discussion on the General board on how the pros don't run guards like us mere mortals. Well, if you're a pro, a crash big enough to destroy your pipe means you're so far back in the field you're not getting points for the race anyway.

3 people like this