chris.scott664

Best Dual-Sport for 50/50 mix (MA)

2 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I’ve slowly been making the conversion from strictly off-road to dual-sport. Ive always ridden 250 four strokes mx bikes and have felt extremely comfortable on them. I recently traded my CRF for a Kawi KLX250s. Man am I seriously underwhelmed with the power. My initial intention after realizing it only had 18hp was to dump $1-2000 into it to get the power up. I’ve realized thats a pretty dumb idea because I can just put that money into buying a better bike!

My dilemma is I just can’t figure out which bike makes the most sense. My plan this entire time has been to try and plate a WR250f (maybe even 450f), but i’ve since realized that might not be possible in MA. (It has an offroad only MSO). Is retitling through one of the Dakotas actually possible?

Do i head over to the pricier KTM who seem to be more dualsport friendly?

Another question:

Do I jump up to a 450? I’m partially afraid this will be too much in the trails.. who knows. I know the 450 makes the most sense for the street. I’ve previously owned a Suzuki SV650.. for two days (before my parents made me get rid of it). So too much power on the street isn’t a concern.

Looking for any and all advice!

living under an EnviroNazi regime you have few choices. If you want a 50 state dirt bike with a plate, KTM, Husqy and Beta at 10k + $$$ for mods is it. If you don't mind underpowered and heavy you got Suzuki Drz or Yamaha Wr250r. If you don't mind kicking, the best of all worlds is XR650R.