Sign in to follow this  

dualsport Which Street Legal Dual Sport?

hey guys, so lately i’ve been thinking and i think i’d like to try and get my hands on a dual sport that i could bring onto the streets. i’m looking for the early-mid 80’s era as i love the look of them. i don’t know much about these, and all i’ve really looked at were the honda xl’s & xr’s. Which do you think would be a decent bike i could get to restore? i have also been looking at the drz’s as well. but i’d like to know what’s the pro’s and con’s of the different dual sport type bikes and which you’d prefer? & also, all i have to rip now is a 250 2t on dirt.. and i know for examples the xr’s go up to 650 but haven’t been able to find anywhere, mostly 250’s and 300’s. Have any you guys ridden these? just seems like small displacement for the roads? you guys ever wish they had more power? thanks for any input!

• Like 2

The Drz is super fun, and i take it on the same tracks I take my mx bikes and I can't break this bike. Now your used to 2T 250 power? The Drz in stock form will feel like a scooter. But a go anywhere fun one. This is the reason I have 3 bikes. 2t mx 4t mx/Enduro and the DRZ [emoji16]
Good luck.

• Like 3

The Drz is super fun, and i take it on the same tracks I take my mx bikes and I can't break this bike. Now your used to 2T 250 power? The Drz in stock form will feel like a scooter. But a go anywhere fun one. This is the reason I have 3 bikes. 2t mx 4t mx/Enduro and the DRZ [emoji16]
Good luck.

How big is your drz? and does it really lack the power compared to your other bikes?
  • Like 1

Mid 80's Honda xr and xl bikes are awesome and hard to find.  First generation Drz400 's are good too, but are often too powerful.?

IMG_0372.JPG

• Like 1

Mid 80's Honda xr and xl bikes are awesome and hard to find.  First generation Drz400 's are good too, but are often too powerful.[emoji33]
IMG_0372.JPG.7e50c78d8bbb36e3bc0d4f1f0be0ac3a.JPG

what year are the first gens? an they’re only up to 400 correct? so how would that feel compared to a 250 2t

My DRZ400s isn't fast compared to my KTM 350 but it's got enough to get me around.  What's great about them is their low maintenance, reliability and flexibility.  I live on dirt roads and ride dirt roads, paved two lane country roads, into town to run errands, some two tracks, etc.. I don't ride much single track with it because I have my KTM for that.  

Powerwise they are about 32HP stock.  Opening up the airbox (aka 3x3), rejetting and putting on a free flowing exhaust will get you about 38 HP.  I haven't done it yet, but moving to an FCR39 carb will get you to 40 HP but supposedly it runs stronger everywhere so the 2 HP peak gain is a bit misleading.  

I picked this 2012 up with 2,043 miles on it for $3,500.  

new1.jpg.63ff823b48df32261618e15af5fc1561.jpg

How big is your drz? and does it really lack the power compared to your other bikes?

I have a Drz400s (set up for 90% OFF ROAD) the power delivery feels different, its a smooth predictable power curve with no crazy oooomf. Now it's not weak, once your used to it and the weight you can do anything on it. That 250 2t powerband punch that your used to, you won't have. But again, just stay on the throttle and you will make it up any hill, you just have to be aggressive.
The drz400s has a little less power than my crf250r and Kx125 but has more torque.
The reason why I bought the DRZ dual sport is, I'm my area they shut down the legal mx tracks and I was only left with my 3 secret single track Enduro trails LOCATIONS (only me 2 other guys know this these spots) that is 1 mile and 2 miles away from my home. I hate riding on the street but this was perfect for my DRZ. Gas up, gear up, ride 5 minutes away, rip it up for a couple hours, get a beer and lunch at Applebees down the street and I'm home by 1pm or later, just in time for my daily "Honey do list" PERFECT...[emoji106]

This is the flexibility a dual sport can bring to your life.

P.s. - My wife prefers "the blue bike" because when I take the "red or green bike" to the track, I'm gone all day.
Happy wife = Happy Life [emoji23]
received_10214800637159987.jpeglg%20v20%20back%20up%20videos%20%20(16).jpg

What's great about them is their low maintenance, reliability and flexibility.  I live on dirt roads and ride dirt roads, paved two lane country roads, into town to run errands, some two tracks, etc.. I don't ride much single track with it because I have my KTM for that. ** AGREED [emoji106]
Powerwise they are about 32HP stock.  Opening up the airbox (aka 3x3), rejetting and putting on a free flowing exhaust will get you about 38 HP.  I haven't done it yet, but moving to an FCR39 carb will get you to 40 HP but supposedly it runs stronger everywhere so the 2 HP peak gain is a bit misleading.  - AGREED [emoji106]
I picked this 2012 up with 2,043 miles on it for $3,500.  
You got a sweet deal!!!
Mine is a 2006 - 2100 miles $ 2900
new1.jpg.63ff823b48df32261618e15af5fc1561.jpg

I rode a DRZ E model for many years, then I drank the orange kool aid and I would never consider going back. If you ride 2 stokes the DRZ will be  disappointing. I suggest looking into European imports.

FB_IMG_1515778570173.jpg

• Like 1

I have a KTM so I agree there is no comparison, but it really depends on how you plan to use it.  My KTM is plated but I would never consider riding it daily on the road like I do my DRZ.  The KTM is a race bike with a race bike maintenance schedule.  The DRZ can be ridden daily and will go 30,000+ miles with nothing but oil changes, air filter cleanings and chain lubing.

If you're primarily going to use it in the dirt and just want the plate to stay legal connecting trails, getting lunch, etc. I agree the KTM is far superior.  But if you are looking for a daily commuter that can do some dirt duty the DRZ is more realistic.

Since I already posted a pic of my DRZ, here's my KTM.

evart2.jpg.db8a780a1c96388f48cc9864c16d3eae.jpg

evart3.jpg.f51c49f54f6474a27bd4b4e7730494e0.jpg

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 2

I have a KTM so I agree there is no comparison, but it really depends on how you plan to use it.  My KTM is plated but I would never consider riding it daily on the road like I do my DRZ.  The KTM is a race bike with a race bike maintenance schedule.  The DRZ can be ridden daily and will go 30,000+ miles with nothing but oil changes, air filter cleanings and chain lubing.
Doc

Well it would be for on road use only, i have my 250 for dirt so that’s good enough, how’re the xr 500’s for maintenance wise? currently looking at one right now.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, boulet12 said:

Well it would be for on road use only, i have my 250 for dirt so that’s good enough, how’re the xr 500’s for maintenance wise? currently looking at one right now.

I used to ride an XR200 in the 80s and they were bullet proof and very low maintenance.  Comparing the XR to a DRZ, the DRZ is more modern (liquid cooled, etc), similar in reliability but the big thing is they are still in production and have hardly changed in the last 18 years.  So parts are available at any Suzuki dealer and there is huge community support.

I'm not trying to talk you out of an XR but just wanted to give you some options to weigh.  I don't have a ton of experience with the XRs but I'm sure someone who does will chime in.

Doc

• Like 1

Check out the new Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled. Very impressive.

Im not in the state to spend that kind of money right now, im looking for something a little older since it’ll be cheaper cause there’s a good chance it’ll need work.
  • Like 1

Quick side question. i know the xl’s come street legal with proper gearing same with the xrl’s. i’m looking at a xr500, would this have proper gearing or would if need a tear down?

Quick side question. i know the xl’s come street legal with proper gearing same with the xrl’s. i’m looking at a xr500, would this have proper gearing or would if need a tear down?

They haven't made an XR500 for over 30 years. God knows what the bike you're looking at has on it.
  • Like 3

They haven't made an XR500 for over 30 years. God knows what the bike you're looking at has on it.

im just going based on what comes out of factory, what kinda of gearing would it have

Had a KLR650 and an XL650 and now have a DRZ400 SM.  I liked all 3.  The XL is really tall and more of a desert bike than a dirt bike.  The KLR is a solid if not terribly exciting dual sport.  My SM gets ridden on the street only but I know I’d really like an S or E model.

Ive tried 4 different ones. The KTM 690 is my favorite all arounder and a bike I want to keep forever. The older designed stuff feels like... We'll... Obese 1980s dirt bikes. The WR250R feels great off road but is lacking power on road. Dirt bike conversions are too much maintenance and what feels fast off road let's you down above 60.. The 690 is an animal on road and heavy but good dirt bike. Husky 701 I would imagine is the same since its just minor revisions.

I never tried a DRZ. Could be amazing. I'll never know. Probably KTM/ Husky for life now lol. I can't imagine the japanese EVER making a 70hp street legal dirt bike. Especially one with reasonable maintenance. They just dont take those kinds of risks.

Edited by Oic0