Hard clutch pull on 600. Need to make easey !!!

Hay to All, I got a 96 600, Been riding for 8 years now, I'm 56 and the clutch pull has always been hash , Iv clean lube, bought new cable, still hard pull, can only ride about 2 hours in tight woods, and try to stay away from the harder trails because of the clutch, I try doing a search a couple of times, But nothing comes up on post said script not working and pages freezes up and says try again ??? 

This makes the pull a lot easier, and is adjustable for how much help you wan't.  You do lose a little feel and it adds to the overall length of the clutch cable so some re-routing will be in order, but the trade off can be worth it.  I haven't used one of these for a long long time, but way back when it did the trick on my '87 Yamaha TT350.

https://thumpertalk.com/shop/Moose-Racing-Easy-Pull-Clutch-System-3ECU007-p4159962.html

As raDad mentioned, it also helps to smooth out any radius bends in the cable.  Scott Summers also used to cut and re-weld the clutch arm (down by the cases) extending it further to increase the leverage ratio that the cable had over the interior actuating push rod.  If you have access to a MIG/TIG welder, or know someone that does, this may be the best option to try.  This post from the XR250/400 forum talks about extending the clutch arm:

Buy an RSC.
Righteous Stunt Clutch.
I doubt you'll have this issue. Sure, its not meant for dirt bikes. But I've used these with one finger on liter sport bikes.
Stunters around here swear by them. Flickin wheelies on liter bikes.
RIP SoLow

• Like 2

Hi Slow Dirt,

I struggled with this same issue it tight conditions. My research showed many of the same suggestions that have been given. My first solution was to put on a new cable and lube it. No big revelation there but I found a post online where someone drilled another holding spot for the cable end in the lever. This worked awesome for me, was easy to do along with being free! i also made the cable guide groove match the new hole so the cable didn't bind. Just some quick Dremel work. Make sure to adjust the cable so the clutch is fully engaging and fully disengaging properly. The window for this is smaller since your pulling less cable with the same lever travel. I attached a pic, I hope it comes through.

Clutch lever mod.jpg

• Like 4

Finely got the search to work , found this Clake clutch in auss , man 750.00 OUCH-OUCH way to much , Did that Moose deal 30 years a go on a suz RS 175 another brand back then did not work at all .

“RSC stunt clutch” lever in the long lever blade will answer your needs

• Like 1

An aftermarket easy-pull clutch lever / perch (or the above home brewed mod of drilling a new hole in the clutch lever) is the easiest.  They work on the simple physics of changing the leverage ratio.  Extending the clutch actuator arm (the other end of the cable, located above the left case cover) works on the same principle.

Well finely got off my butt , and did the drill new hole in clutch lever and smooth out the groove for the cable , looks good , its does help a little , but its still not enough of a light pull , But thanks for all that reply , May look into that stunt lever , so ?  where is it sold on this inter net , card is still full from X-Mass need to pay off . Thanks for the Help .

• Like 1

How long is your current lever?

Shorty ones are fine on a bike with a hydraulic clutch or a disc brake,, but can be crap if it's a cable set-up.

I always run the longest levers available, (mostly because I got a drum-brake on the front.....)

it just gives more leverage.

You ladies need to ride more or at least work out those little handsies , not just the one you're romantically involved with.    :lol:  

• Like 1

IMG_0538.JPG
Get one of these and use on your left hand while your right hand does those 12oz curls.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cooldudesmd said:

IMG_0538.JPG
Get one of these and use on your left hand while your right hand does those 12oz curls.

My son has one of these , I can squeeze it with my thumb and index finger.   :smirk:

Some of them are soft, some are really stiff. One of our technicians at the shop has a pair that I could squeeze all day in my right hand, but my left hand/ forearm gets a good workout after 20-30 minutes.