Basics learning tool?

I really want to learn more trials like moves that I can use on my Freeride. However.... Learning on a 200+ bike could give the bike a beating. I specifically want to learn to turn using my front brake. Not sure what that is called. So I may have had a good idea, maybe not? I bought a Inspired Flow trials bicycle. I hope to learn some basics that I can transfer over to my obstacles. Especially jumping with the bike. Not jumps, but jumping with the bike. I noticed that many good trials riders also ride bikes, and do the same sort of tricks. I wonder though.... I usually let the bike do most of the work. Jumping with the bike looks exhausting? I have not gotten started yet, so I have no idea. I'm just fishing for conversation because I know nothing and assume someone here may have some experiential knowledge to share. 

Ryan Young's DVD is well worth buying, IMHO

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-DVD-Trials-Training-Techniques/dp/B001DQFCZI/

I'm new too, so don't trust my opinions, seems that all the techniques require a lot of leg strength and balance. Everything seems to start with weighting and deweighting the pegs. I have been used to sitting on the seat of my KTM 90% of the time, and only standing over rough stuff. My Beta has no seat, you have to stand 100% of the time, and that alone makes it hard. Need to do more exercise.

Dude, it's a dirt bike! Don't worry about giving it a beating. Plus that thing is light enough that it will fall pretty well with barely even cosmetic damage except maybe on rocks. But who cares about cosmetics!

From what I hear, trials bicycles don't transfer to mototrials very well at all. They are also hard on the back no doubt, I have ridden one briefly.

Sounds like you're interested in nose wheelies.

- Start with a little momentum in 1st gear

- Compress the shocks with your legs, then at the same time:

- Press the front brake, unload the shock, push against the handlebars with your hands (think of yourself pushing the bike around the front tire, NOT pushing straight down into the bars)

- Your butt will be near the back of the seat, don't throw your body front toward the bars, it's totally unnecessary and removes all control over the bike.

- For turning, throw your hips in the direction you want to go whenever you unload and point your handlebars in the direction you want to go.

I'm not very good at it, I can do some nose wheelies and turn it a bit but certainly not without dabbing. It also helps to have your bars properly adjusted, make sure they're about perpendicular to the ground. Let's practice some in a couple weeks!

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the videos, one would think trials takes minimum effort to do. WRONG!!! Riding trials is a full body workout. Before trials, I didn't get much exercise...I have a sit down job, I'm lazy at home, and I'm recovering from a medical problem. When I first started riding trials, just starting the bike was a serious challenge and I could only ride for 5-10 minutes at a time because I got so completely exhausted.  It's much better now, trials has improved my balance, made me stronger in general and improved my stamina. For me, riding trials takes alot of practice and exercise, but it has been worth the effort. It's the most fun thing a person can do with their clothes on.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rrefugee said:

Watching the videos, one would think trials takes minimum effort to do. WRONG!!! Riding trials is a full body workout. Before trials, I didn't get much exercise...I have a sit down job, I'm lazy at home, and I'm recovering from a medical problem. When I first started riding trials, just starting the bike was a serious challenge and I could only ride for 5-10 minutes at a time because I got so completely exhausted.  It's much better now, trials has improved my balance, made me stronger in general and improved my stamina. For me, riding trials takes alot of practice and exercise, but it has been worth the effort. It's the most fun thing a person can do with their clothes on.

Riding motorbikes off-road is the most fun you can have with clothes on. But then again, I've never tried doing it with clothes off, bet it's the most fun thing either way!

• Like 1