Buying PW50 that's been sitting

After much searching it seems I've found a 2000ish pw50 for my 2nd oldest.  It has been sitting for a couple years and has the Chinese knockoff carb (seller says bike won't run with current carb) which I plan to replace with either the carb from  pwonly.com or the OEM option.  I'm told compression is good (though I'll verify it myself) and that top and bottom end are in good shape. I don't think it will start, so I've got to check a few things out before I lay out the cash. I plan to check compression, make sure there's a spark (I'll likely bring along a new spark plug), make sure the suspension isn't leaking, what else should I be looking at?  Thank you all in advance!

How much are they asking for the P Dub? Anyway... I've owned my fair share of PWs, 50s and 80s and I can honestly say I've never had a carb problem outside of needing cleaned. I say that because I'm suspicious of anyone who replaces oem carb with a crap Chinese knock off that are almost always bad. Like, what is the real problem with the bike? That being said there's not a whole lot that can go wrong with those little things. The only problem I've ever had with the motors was primary coil going bad (one 50 and one 80) and just periodically doing a top end tho I didn't even really do a lot of that. Never had an issue with a carb, oil injector, right crank seal (pretty common in two strokes), bearings or anything.

Check the compression like you plan. Check for spark. Ask why the carb was changed. Ask if oil injector pump works properly and see if the hose is inserted from the pump into the carb. Pop off the pipe (I think it's held on by two 10mm screws if I recall correctly) shine a flashlight in there - slowly move the piston up and down with the kicker and see if the piston looks fried (this should take less than 10 minutes to check) . If the bike is not running its important to check these things.

I wouldn't worry much about the suspension as these things offer little more resistance than a spring in a ball point pen even when brand new 🤣.

If the price is right go for it!

• Like 1

I always checked for signs of abuse...loose stem bearings, dinged rim, rear frame extension bent down. I’ve bought a couple, always got a little money off for it knowing it didn’t effect much as far as my kids were concerned.
If it isn’t running, get it for pennies. Like mentioned above, those things run forever. If it isn’t, price accordingly

• Like 1