CR500 Identification

Hey there

So I'm looking into buying a cr500 and the one i have my eye on appears to be a 91+ but the owner has it listed as a 1990. Judging by the rear side panels and air box it does not look like a 1990. Owner says the vin is painted over and not very legible. Ill post some pics and let me know what you think. 

00z0z_4tA2teR83p3_1200x900.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4303.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4297.jpg

Edited by Eckseedoubleyou
  • Like 1

Side covers are 91+

Frame has been painted with a shocking red

get him to scrape some paint off the frame so you can see the vin - its only crap paint

2 hours ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

Even painted over it should be readable enough. 10th digit, if it's an L, it's a '90. '91 would be an M, '92 an N..

Good to know, ill check this

If that’s the stock tank and seat it’s a 90. It was the first year of the upside down forks and the bike was all red. 91 had white shrouds and white stripes on the seat. I’ve owned both

37 minutes ago, jim1234 said:

If that’s the stock tank and seat it’s a 90. It was the first year of the upside down forks and the bike was all red. 91 had white shrouds and white stripes on the seat. I’ve owned both

If they are the stock side covers then its not a 90 & i havent owned any

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim1234 said:

1 hour ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

If they are the stock side covers then its not a 90 & i havent owned any

Is it possible to put 91 rear side covers on a 90?

4 hours ago, jim1234 said:

That seat looks to be off about a 2000 model, tank and airbox look to be 91, shrouds are 89 color with 88 graphics, forks/engine cases/radiators are 90 or 91... it's definitely a mutt of a bike.

2 hours ago, Eckseedoubleyou said:

Is it possible to put 91 rear side covers on a 90?

Yes if you swap the seat, subframe, airbox and silencer as well.  As I stated above, it's definitely had several parts changed at some point in its life.  Since the bulk of the bike appears to be 1991 (airbox, forks, triples, wheels/rotors, tank, engine cases, radiators) I'd guess it's a 91 that has had several parts swapped out.  91-01 parts will all interchange with no fuss, the style of the plastics didn't change at all (only colors and graphics over the years) and a lot of the other parts only changed cosmetically (radiators went from painted black to bare aluminum in 92 or 93 I believe) or had other minor changes (linkage bolts changed, stuff like that).  The only real change of note was that in 92 the transmission ratio changed from a closer ratio trans to a wider ratio, everything still interchanges though (engine cases also went from black to non-painted). In 95 the front wheel/axle/rotor changed, and pretty much any CR125+ wheel from 95 to about  2008 wheel would fit, in 96 the triple clamps and forks changed for the better.  96 also saw a high speed compression adjuster added to the shock.

Long story short, without the VIN you'll probably never know exactly what it is.  91 would be better than 90, as the linkage attachment point on the frame changed and the 90 and older stuff won't jive with the 91+ frame, or vice versa.  I'd ask the seller to knock some of that paint down so the VIN can be legible.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cowboyona426 said:

That seat looks to be off about a 2000 model, tank and airbox look to be 91, shrouds are 89 color with 88 graphics, forks/engine cases/radiators are 90 or 91... it's definitely a mutt of a bike.

Yes if you swap the seat, subframe, airbox and silencer as well.  As I stated above, it's definitely had several parts changed at some point in its life.  Since the bulk of the bike appears to be 1991 (airbox, forks, triples, wheels/rotors, tank, engine cases, radiators) I'd guess it's a 91 that has had several parts swapped out.  91-01 parts will all interchange with no fuss, the style of the plastics didn't change at all (only colors and graphics over the years) and a lot of the other parts only changed cosmetically (radiators went from painted black to bare aluminum in 92 or 93 I believe) or had other minor changes (linkage bolts changed, stuff like that).  The only real change of note was that in 92 the transmission ratio changed from a closer ratio trans to a wider ratio, everything still interchanges though (engine cases also went from black to non-painted). In 95 the front wheel/axle/rotor changed, and pretty much any CR125+ wheel from 95 to about  2008 wheel would fit, in 96 the triple clamps and forks changed for the better.  96 also saw a high speed compression adjuster added to the shock.

Long story short, without the VIN you'll probably never know exactly what it is.  91 would be better than 90, as the linkage attachment point on the frame changed and the 90 and older stuff won't jive with the 91+ frame, or vice versa.  I'd ask the seller to knock some of that paint down so the VIN can be legible.

Im getting the feeling i should pass on this bike. I wanted an original 91 cr500 not a pieced together molested bike. Even if the condition wasn't great id restore it but at least all of the parts match

Most of that bike appears to be 1991, the stuff that isn't is all cosmetic (at least from what I can see from the photos).  If the bike isn't totally roached out it might still be a worthy restore candidate, just know that the plastics and seat cover at least will have to be changed.

I have a 91 also, currently torn completely down awaiting me to make a decision on what I want to do with it.

13 minutes ago, michaelchristie207 said:

how much does he want ? there’s a few cr500’s near me. restored 01, a couple aluminum frame ones and a 96 all mint 

2500 in pa

Run the VIN with the Police. Any illegible VIN for any reason or the reluctance of the owner to allow you you clearly see and identify the VIN could be a problem. Don't damage the metal cause that would upset me if I was selling the bike,just get to the point of being able to see the numbers. Be cordial but firm.

Any resistance from the owner? Walk away.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wally_Tunison_in_N.J. said:

Run the VIN with the Police. Any illegible VIN for any reason or the reluctance of the owner to allow you you clearly see and identify the VIN could be a problem. Don't damage the metal cause that would upset me if I was selling the bike,just get to the point of being able to see the numbers. Be cordial but firm.

Any resistance from the owner? Walk away.

No VIN No Sale

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Eckseedoubleyou said:

2500 in pa

I wouldn't pay that much... I paid less than that (initial purchase price) for both my CR500's combined.

11 hours ago, Eckseedoubleyou said:

Im getting the feeling i should pass on this bike. I wanted an original 91 cr500 not a pieced together molested bike. Even if the condition wasn't great id restore it but at least all of the parts match

You know, it is all in what you want. I'm not one for "restored" museum pieces. Great that people do it, so we can see what stuff was like way back when, but not for me. It is like having a cake you cannot eat, you get what I mean? Bikes are made for riding! 

As soon as many guys get a bike they start modifying it and cobbling it up. Well, if you get this bike at a good enough price, you can feel what it is like to ride the livin' daylights out of CR500 without guilt of messing up a timeless classic. 

What really hurts my heart, is the breakers who get a great deal on a running bike and scrap it to sell on Ebay bit by bit. :(

Edited by sbest
  • Like 2