Is an XR 400 right for me?

I'm looking to buy a street legal dual sport.  I currently own a Kawasaki KLR 650 and have a blast trying to keep up with my buddies on their green sticker dirt bikes, 250's, 450's, etc.  For what its worth, I also ride a Vstrom 1000 for commuting and longer rides.  The only dirt experience I have is on the KLR so I'm not used to anything fast.  I'm really just looking for a trail bike that is lighter than the KLR 650 that would be better in the dirt.  I briefly rode one last year and it felt like a mountain bike with a motor compared to my KLR.  I was looking at a WR450 but think it might be more than I really need.  I've narrowed it down to a WR250R or an XR400.  I'm not very experienced with motor work so low maintenance is key.  I also don't know if the kickstart only on the XR would be a problem.  Since this is an XR forum, I'll try to keep my questions related to that.  So, is there any particular year XR I should stay away from?  Are there inherent problems I should look for while shopping for an XR?  Since they don't have odometers, how can I gauge how many hours it has on it?

i have an 1997 xr400 and a 1991 xr250 (now 280). The smaller bike is better in tight trails and most off-road riding. The 400 comes into it's own blatting across open spaces and chugging up hills but it does feel heavier than the 250.

Kick start on both of these can be troublesome especially after a spill. I have a pumper carb on the 400 which is better all round and a popular upgrade.

I don't ride either on the road unless I have to. Compared to road bikes they are slow, wobbly (on knobblies) and don't stop that well.

3 hours ago, Bradley Shelley said:

I’ve got two currently for sale within 100 miles of me

Which would be where? Fill out your forum profile so we know where your from. And state how far you're willing to travel for the right bike. Folks near you might have some leads and it's always good to know if you have forum members near you that can help when you have a problem.

Edited by Trailryder42

Had a '96 XR400 a few years ago and sold it. Regretted that move ! Bought my 2nd last September. Drove 150 miles or so to get it. Don't see many lately for sale. I think you'll dig a XR400. Reliable, air cooled, low maintenance. Oh yeah, lots of torque. I would like a titled one, but not super important to me. 

Xr 400s  are becoming  increasingly  difficult  to  find  here in Ontario  Canada . Owners keep  them.

Maybe  consider  a drz400e ? No, not quite as  good  as  an xr400 for off road , but very  commonly  found  at a good  deal.Great engine.Very reliable  and low maintenance  too.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2018 at 0:50 AM, Bradley Shelley said:

I'm looking to buy a street legal dual sport.  I currently own a Kawasaki KLR 650 and have a blast trying to keep up with my buddies on their green sticker dirt bikes, 250's, 450's, etc.  For what its worth, I also ride a Vstrom 1000 for commuting and longer rides.  The only dirt experience I have is on the KLR so I'm not used to anything fast.  I'm really just looking for a trail bike that is lighter than the KLR 650 that would be better in the dirt.  I briefly rode one last year and it felt like a mountain bike with a motor compared to my KLR.  I was looking at a WR450 but think it might be more than I really need.  I've narrowed it down to a WR250R or an XR400.  I'm not very experienced with motor work so low maintenance is key.  I also don't know if the kickstart only on the XR would be a problem.  Since this is an XR forum, I'll try to keep my questions related to that.  So, is there any particular year XR I should stay away from?  Are there inherent problems I should look for while shopping for an XR?  Since they don't have odometers, how can I gauge how many hours it has on it?

The XR4 is just about the best trail bike ever made for the casual rider.  Very user friendly,  reliable, simple and easy maintenance.  Kick starting is not a big deal, a healthy xr4 starts easy.  Look out for rusted out frame, look carefully at the frame tubes under the engine.  And at the sidekick bracket.  The swingarm bolt can get stuck, do a search, can be a big deal.  The early models had a cast choke plate in the carb that could brake in two and do some engine damage.  Easy fix.  The XR4 has very few weaknesses.

For casual trail riding you do not need a full blown race bike.  I have had several ktm's and husky´s and they definitely outperform a XR4 at all-out speeds, but for casual trail riding I prefer the XR4.  Suzuki DRZ400E (don´t know about the DRZ400S, never had one) is also a nice bike, but it is nowhere as good off road.  If that matters to you, the DRZ is better on-road though, don´t really know why it just feels more at home on the blacktop.  Less engine vibration I guess, and the DRZ has a more rev happy engine.

Edited by GU520

4 hours ago, Bradley Shelley said:

Thanks everyone, I’m pretty convinced that an X-R 400 is the right bike for me.  I’m keeping my eyes open for the right one everyday now.  Also need to convince the wife I need a 3rd bike in the corral.?

Just show up with the XR400 at your house one day and tell your wife that you're "just doing a little work on this bike for a buddy of mine".  Then she kinda get used to seeing the bike there and it will start to look like it belongs there.  So the idea of having the bike around won't be daunting.  Then after a while you say "ah well ya know my buddy said he'd give me this bike really cheap because he got a different one.  He's a really nice guy."

Its not really lying.  Its just a method of communication.  Rather than telling her that it would be good if you got the XR400, you're simply showing her that it would be good if you got the XR400.

And there you have it.  I promise that works.  Ask me how I know ?  

Edited by dirtjumpordie
  • Like 1