xr600r fork swap

hi guys   is there a straight forword fork swap for 1997 xr600r  eg cr-crf 250 any imput would be great  thanks

XR400R forks slide right in the triple clamps and are way better than the 600 forks. You can use you front wheel but you'll need a 400 axle and speedo drive and you'll have to change the 600 wheel bearings to 400 wheel bearings as the 400 axle is thicker. The 400 wheel bearings will drop right in the 600 hub. The brake will bolt up to the 400 forks. 

Stewart     

• Like 2

The easiest way to do the fork swap onto an XR600R is as follows:

1. Buy forks, front wheel, and triple clamps, and stem from basically any modern CR125, CR250, CRF250R, or CRF450R (other stems work too, as long as they have a 30mm stem diameter for the top and bottom stem bearings)
  2. Buy these 30x47x12mm tapered roller bearings.  They fit on the 30mm diameter stem, and they fit inside of the XR600R's 47mm diameter head tube. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Quality-Industrial-30X47X12-mm-metric-32906-tapered-roller-bearing-wholesale-and-retail/449568503.html?aff_platform=aaf&aff_trace_key=6cfdfdb96a404a84ada8f66d02205df8-1512947283049-01059-VnYZvQVf&afref=https%253A%252F%252Fthumpertalk.com%252Fforums%252Ftopic%252F1040761-usd-fork-swap-is-awesome%252F&dp=0b5857c74df4abf53ca6c77ad76a5693&mall_affr=pr3&terminal_id=f26c87cbc0134176a731a38bbaad589e&aff_platform=promotion&cpt=1516313529051&sk=jiMVVzv&aff_trace_key=2f549433fd0240f881d06154ec355558-1516313529051-06016-jiMVVzv&terminal_id=6496d64b38fb42e2b5fa9dbc933ae26f
  3. Put the triple clamps on the bike using those bearings for the steering stem.  Put the forks into the triple clamps.  Done. 

There is a ton of information on fork swaps that I gathered and put into this thread.   I used yamaha forks on this build.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stewart_frank said:

XR400R forks slide right in the triple clamps and are way better than the 600 forks.

Define "Way better".  They're still archaic wrong-side-down bendy wet noodle 43mm forks.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dirtjumpordie said:

Define "Way better".  They're still archaic wrong-side-down bendy wet noodle 43mm forks.  

Sorry I should of been more specific. There way better than any other XR forks. There more adjustable than the 600 fork and with proper set up they work pretty good. I've got them on my XR500 and also on a 90 model XR250 and there hands down better that the stock ones. I't really depends on what you want to do. This set up can be done fairly cheep and with little hassle with good results. 

Stewart

• Like 3

With a vernier caliper, a lathe and a fresh foot of metal, you can put any front end onto any bike.
And use the oem bearings that are supposed to go into that frame.
dirtjumpers method is awesome. Just buy a spare set of some Ali express ish...!
But I use a thick gauge aluminum, lathe the base to press into the triple I want, next up lathe to fit the oem lower stem bearing, next up lathe to fit oem top bearing, then cut lower nuts threads where they need to be, then cut top threads where they need to be.
Now pay attention to steering stops.
Newer xr6 forks(cartridge) are better than older(non cartridge) and xr4 forks are better.
As well as 650r forks.
But we've all whittled wood, putting a new front end on is just whittling metal. Press out the old, press in the new and boom. You could have '16 crf450 forks on in a half hour of whittling. Only thing is, that machine that whittles isn't a pocket knife, its a $10,000 lathe! I don't own one, I wish.

• Like 3

The easiest way to do the fork swap onto an XR600R is as follows:
  1. Buy forks, front wheel, and triple clamps, and stem from basically any modern CR125, CR250, CRF250R, or CRF450R (other stems work too, as long as they have a 30mm stem diameter for the top and bottom stem bearings)
  2. Buy these 30x47x12mm tapered roller bearings.  They fit on the 30mm diameter stem, and they fit inside of the XR600R's 47mm diameter head tube. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Quality-Industrial-30X47X12-mm-metric-32906-tapered-roller-bearing-wholesale-and-retail/449568503.html?aff_platform=aaf&aff_trace_key=6cfdfdb96a404a84ada8f66d02205df8-1512947283049-01059-VnYZvQVf&afref=https%253A%252F%252Fthumpertalk.com%252Fforums%252Ftopic%252F1040761-usd-fork-swap-is-awesome%252F&dp=0b5857c74df4abf53ca6c77ad76a5693&mall_affr=pr3&terminal_id=f26c87cbc0134176a731a38bbaad589e&aff_platform=promotion&cpt=1516313529051&sk=jiMVVzv&aff_trace_key=2f549433fd0240f881d06154ec355558-1516313529051-06016-jiMVVzv&terminal_id=6496d64b38fb42e2b5fa9dbc933ae26f
  3. Put the triple clamps on the bike using those bearings for the steering stem.  Put the forks into the triple clamps.  Done. 

There is a ton of information on fork swaps that I gathered and put into this thread.   I used yamaha forks on this build.  

I am assuming this would work on an L?

I just finished a USD conversion on my 1996 XR600r using the All Balls lower bearing kit. The fork donor was a 1991 CR500R and the top bearing is the same. This kit worked well and the bearing is the same dimensions as the bearing link that dirtjumpordie inserted. The tech tip I have is that for me the AllBalls kit was better as it comes with 2 spacers that are needed for this specific swap. I had to use a spacer for the bottom race to push it down further. You can spacer the lower bearing up as well but lowering the race worked better for me. Without this, the lower clamp will rub the head. After completing this job I can see the benefit of turning down the triple to use the stock bearings. I had great luck with All Balls and its a good way to go if you don't have access to a machine shop. Newer USD front ends require different bearing for top and bottom. 

Like others have said, you can get most fork triples mounted using a few techniques and YES it will work on an L too. Get the entire front end if you can. Wheel, brakes, etc. 

Edited by ericsXr600R
Just adding
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ericsXr600R said:

I just finished a USD conversion on my 1996 XR600r using the All Balls lower bearing kit. The fork donor was a 1991 CR500R and the top bearing is the same. This kit worked well and the bearing is the same dimensions as the bearing link that dirtjumpordie inserted. The tech tip I have is that for me the AllBalls kit was better as it comes with 2 spacers that are needed for this specific swap. I had to use a spacer for the bottom race to push it down further. You can spacer the lower bearing up as well but lowering the race worked better for me. Without this, the lower clamp will rub the head. After completing this job I can see the benefit of turning down the triple to use the stock bearings. I had great luck with All Balls and its a good way to go if you don't have access to a machine shop. Newer USD front ends require different bearing for top and bottom. 

Like others have said, you can get most fork triples mounted using a few techniques and YES it will work on an L too. Get the entire front end if you can. Wheel, brakes, etc. 

Exactly on point.  Thanks for sharing, as I didn't even know that the all balls conversion kit came with those spacers!  

To the OP, here is a link to where you find the all balls conversion bearings.  Its easy to do.  And they list the inside diameter of as well as outside diamter of the bearings. https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkco

I have a set of crf250 r forks triples front wheel and brake setup for sale forks have new seals oil and bushings for 400.00 + shipping from Fort Wayne IN

I bought a used '94 quite a few years ago. The stock forks had been revalved/resprung by Factory Connection, they worked great. Only beef was the fork underhang. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, creeky said:

I bought a used '94 quite a few years ago. The stock forks had been revalved/resprung by Factory Connection, they worked great. Only beef was the fork underhang. 

I don't disagree that the factory forks with some new springs would be ok for my level of riding. But, its fun to modify and have something more unique. I'll see how much difference I notice this spring.

I did the fork swap and it feels amazing.  Its 50x better than the stock forks.  The stock forks feel flexy/bendy.  Its a very vague feeling.  The USD forks make the front end of the bike feel very stable, exact, and planted.  Just like a modern moto bike.

Sure, the valving is better on the USD forks, but the real gain is in the corners.  You can actually feel what the front end is doing.  Because the forks arent flexing like hell.

On 1/30/2018 at 3:28 PM, ericsXr600R said:

I also used the All Balls conversion bearing kit, I ended up putting one of the spacers, the thicker one, below the seal and bottom bearing. I looked at putting it in before the race, but it sure looked like the "nose" of the bearing would interfere with the spacer before fully seating in the race? The thinner spacer was a better fit thickness wise, but the O.D. was too large. With the spacer above the race did you have any issues with the bearing interfering with the spacer?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WojoMojo said:

I also used the All Balls conversion bearing kit, I ended up putting one of the spacers, the thicker one, below the seal and bottom bearing. I looked at putting it in before the race, but it sure looked like the "nose" of the bearing would interfere with the spacer before fully seating in the race? The thinner spacer was a better fit thickness wise, but the O.D. was too large. With the spacer above the race did you have any issues with the bearing interfering with the spacer?

I haven't had any issues. The wider OD spacer is for going under the lower bearing on the stem if you choose to do it that way.