3 days at Taylor Park

Planning an August trip. What trails and sights are a must see, must do. Only going to have 3 riding days.

Check out Flag mountain. Trail isnt hard but view is awesome. All  the trails are good. And they can be difficult even if they are marked moderate or easy. If it rains it gets tough. And it WILL RAIN. Some trails marked moderate will still have a spot or 2 or 3 that can be very difficult. Now I am talking about the single track trails. The wider quad trails and roads still will take you anywhere and you will still get the good sights. Best thing to do is go to the TRading Post and get a map. We went first week of August 2016 and it was dry for 3 days then rained for 2 days. Very different conditions then. Still very cool Place. 

Better go now though, they paved the mountain pass from Buena Vista so next year it will be a mad house. In a few years it will be a lot more "developed" than now. It is pretty remote and desolate now. 

• Like 4

the Gunnison North MVUM is the map I ride with out there. All of the singletrack marked is excellent riding. It is hard to suggest possible loops without a bit more information on skills and inclination for ride duration each day.

Bear Creek, Italian Creek, Flag, Star to Doctor Park is a fun area for a day.

Double Top, Hunter, water fall, brush creek in another area for a day.

Timberline is good but one of the more difficult trails. Fossil Ridge is also good but how you link it depends a lot on skills and energy for length of ride day.

• Like 3

Where are you staying?

I'd concur with the recommendations of Doctor park, Star trail/Star connector, Bear creek, rosebud, American Flag, Lily Pond. In 3 days you can cover a good amount of the great ones. I too would shine away from Timberline unless you want to test yourself. 

We will be there Week of July 30 with some California friends showing them around. 

• Like 1

While this probably won't affect the OP coming from the California side, Cottonwood Pass will still be closed well into Fall of 2018 for paving from the Summit all the way west to Taylor Park Reservoir. Unless something magical happens and weather is VERY dry, I do not expect the project to finish ahead of schedule. For those of us coming from the East side, it adds a significant detour south through Sargents/Gunnison

https://flh.fhwa.dot.gov/projects/co/cottonwood/documents/cottonwood-pass-2018.pdf

I like the Latitude40 maps of the area myself and it supports a local business to me. https://www.latitude40maps.com/crested-butte-taylor-park-trails/ 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. We will be staying at the cabins at the trading post. I am a fairly average rider and the 2 other guys are above average riders. I would prefer not to hurt myself with dangerous trails( im getting old. Be 51 by then) . Which bike? 04 450 exc set up for long range high speed Baja runs or 09 250 wrf set up for single track?

Just now, ehall said:

Thanks for the replies. We will be staying at the cabins at the trading post. I am a fairly average rider and the 2 other guys are above average riders. I would prefer not to hurt myself with dangerous trails( im getting old. Be 51 by then) . Which bike? 04 450 exc set up for long range high speed Baja runs or 09 250 wrf set up for single track?

250 single track bike for sure.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ehall said:

dang....51 is old now?  I must be working on decrepit at 55.

Definitely would second going with a bike more suited for singletrack for Taylor Park riding but why not bring both?

• Like 1

I think that depends on your size and how much you really want the power... TP starts at 10,000' above sea level. Thats a lot power lost, especially for a 250.. I would tell you that your baja setup is probably perfect except that the counter sprocket should be one tooth smaller than stock, at least.. and you will appreciate the extra fuel. Either bike will be fine. But when you go to climb American Flag or ride the flag connector trail (one of my favorites), you will be glad you brought a 450.

those of us in the AARP MC club will tell you bring the lighter bike. but either will do well there, you will want to gear down for slow speed trails, there is nothing in TP that will mimic Baja. I'll be in baja with the Mortons April 5-13 this year so I am getting my low altitude fix and my high altitude fix. 

• Like 2

the 450 would certainly be better on the double track climb to the top of Flag. But on all the single track I just can't imagine how the 250 wouldn't be a better choice in every way. But then I am 51 as well and exclusively ride my 250 4 stroke in both the mountains and the desert singletrack.

You go to Taylor Park to ride single track. The double track is just a necessary evil to connect the single track.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, zzsean said:

You go to Taylor Park to ride single track. The double track is just a necessary evil to connect the single track.

pretty much what I was thinking.

the 450 would certainly be better on the double track climb to the top of Flag. But on all the single track I just can't imagine how the 250 wouldn't be a better choice in every way. But then I am 51 as well and exclusively ride my 250 4 stroke in both the mountains and the desert singletrack.

Fair enough. Truth is you don't need the extra power. Not even at 10000 feet. I personally must be able to do 3rd gear power wheelies or I'm just not cotent but, I can assure you a 1970's honda 50 will ride every trail in TP (may need to get out and push in a few places). All about preference. I just thought I'd remove the excuse of "this bike doesnt make enough power to climb this, how far back to camp?" and replace it with," i cant pick this 450 up again, how far back to camp".

Just bring something with 2 wheels and you will have a blast. Plenty of easy singletrack, plenty of hard singletrack. The valley is filled with Razors but i gaurantee you can ride for 8 hours and never see one.
  • Like 3

On 1/18/2018 at 11:29 AM, SilvFx said:

dang....51 is old now?  I must be working on decrepit at 55.

Definitely would second going with a bike more suited for singletrack for Taylor Park riding but why not bring both?

If 55 is decrepit, then I must be close to dead..........

• Like 2

On 1/22/2018 at 3:04 PM, 2012 450 xc-w said:

If 55 is decrepit, then I must be close to dead..........

Then there are those of us that must be mummified.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Then there are those of us that must be mummified.

You prolly already are and jes don know it.......

• Like 1

In dog years I am dead. If you guys want to join us on our week would be nice to have you. 7/28-8/5. PM me for location. Wide variety of talent will be with us, so I am sure you could pair up with people of varying skill levels from the easy and mild to the death march folks. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 10:55 AM, ehall said:

You've gotten good recommendations, but based on what you've said, I'd stay off Star and Star Connector. Definitely start with something like Flag Creek. Its a bit of a haul over there on roads from the trading post, but its a great, easy intro ride. Take it up, take Reno Ridge Road south then you have numerous options. Shortest, easiest is Bear Creek Trail to the east. That'd be too short of a ride for me though, so I'd at least go to Bear Creek that goes south to Deadman then take it to Spring Creek Road.

BUT, if you're feeling good, instead of Bear Creek, take Reno Ridge Trail to Cement Creek Trail, then take Rosebud down to Spring Creek Road.  That'll be a nice loop and should fill up most of your day.  Especially if Cement Mountain has some nice mud on the slopes in the trees! Its been muddy every time I've been that way.

Another one...Gunnison Spur. Do it S-N maybe after get back to Spring Creek Road...but beware of a steeep slope that ya gotta go up going that way. If its muddy, I'd say you ain't gonna get up it.  Quite honestly, I'd save Gunnison Spur for its own day unless you are into major miles and go N-S on it, then find your way back to the trading post. There are some bailouts if needed along the way.

If you don't have one, get yourself the Latitude 40 map to Crested Butte and Taylor Park. You want the purple one unless you plan to go to Aspen on some really high mileage days.

I've been there on my 450 EXC, CRF 250X and a 300 XC 2t.  All work fine, but all down on power real high, so the weaker the bike, the more you'll notice it. Jet for 10-11,000'.

I'd stay away from that Redhurricane fella tho.  He's nothin but problems!  JK!!!!  

• Like 2

Great . Thanks for taking the time to post that. That' the kind of info I need