NJ Dual Sport Meet Up

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just moved to the US from Spain. Now that I have settled in, I am looking to buy a dual-sport for trail riding. Wharton looks awesome. Anyone usually departing from NYC?? Ideally willing to exchange trailer pick up and ride for gas & beer. 

Hi guys I was just wondering if its still legal to ride back I. Wharton State Forest? I heard they changed it! Haven't ridden an Enduro since my 2008 Honda CRF230L was stolen in 2009! Want to get back into Enduros but the Nj Pine barrens is probably the closest place for me to ride these days! By the way I live in Bristol Pa 19007 thanks
Evan

Yes, still legal though a little restricted. My understanding: no more fire breaks or single track access allowed on a bike. Any of the roads aka car accessible are ok. I try to stay out of pits as the “eco-terrorists” tend to complain about that too. I find that just being respectful and using common sense goes a long way toward staying out of trouble. Obviously to be strictly legal your bike must be registered (plated) and insured and the rider licensed. 

Okay that's the way it's always been but you just kind of got away with single track. It's just last time I was back there you never saw anybody back there that wasn't Wheeling or on quads or dirt bikes! And even then unless you hit the pit it was somewhat rare to actually see another person 5 miles into the woods!! I don't think in all my years I saw a ranger back there!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I ride a DRZ400S dual sport. I am from north jersey (Somerset county). Looking to ride down south in the pine barrens/wharton. I would still consider myself one step above a novice rider. Nothing crazy, just would like to explore. I was told to start at Atision and park truck there.  I would like to see if there is anyone on here thats willing to show me some of the trails on a weekend.  Please send me a PM if you are interested. I would still classify my riding as novice, especially since I have not ridden sand yet. 

You guys should consider the enduro event March 8, 2020 in Port Elizabeth NJ.

http://www.teamhammer.org/2020%20Stuff/TCS%202020%20Greenbrier%20Enduro%20flyer%20v3.pdf

Consider this a mini guide to “dual sporting” at an enduro.

This enduro is 65 miles long and has a high percentage of actual trails on the route, so haul your bike to the event rather than ride it there. Start the day with a full tank of fuel.

Bring extra fuel for the club to deliver to you on the trail unless you’re really confident you can complete 65 miles of actual trail without a fuel stop. Remember to drop your gas jug at their designated truck in the morning. Your gas jug will be returned to you, of course.

When you sign up you will be assigned a start time on a decal for your front number plate. Be at the starting line at that time. The club assigns four riders to each start time so you’ll automatically have riding buddies for the day. Sign up with a friend and you will be riding together.

Follow the arrows and other riders. If you have any problems there will be course workers at each road crossing and sweep riders checking the course.

Expect timed breaks a number of places throughout the course. These breaks are engineered into the day. Regroup with the other riders from your start time and continue on.

Ride your pace and enjoy the day with the other riders around you. You don’t need to race the enduro, you just can’t drop ten minutes for selfies at each lake you see. You can take a break at any time, but realize a designated break might be just ahead.

Planning to ride out of Atsion tomorrow around 10:30am if anyone is available let me know.  (Also familiar with Bass River Forest if preferred)  I have some flexibility on time and I know my way around Wharton.  I'm open to where ever we want to explore.

North NJ checking in. About 10 miles south of the NY State Line off Rte 287. Started dirt when I was 8, street at 18 and looking towards dual sport at 50+. I got my KLR back on the road and looking to maybe buy a trailer so I can hit Wharton or more the southern rides on the weekends. Driving to an event isn't an issue, driving back tired or with a broken bike is. So I think a trailer is in order. 

Edited by Its_Wojo

Driving to and event isn't an issue, driving back tired or with a broken bike is. So I think a trailer is in order.

Smart idea. If you trade up to a lighter bike, a hitch hauler is a surprisingly good option. I prefer the Ultimate MX Hauler, myself.
  • Like 1

anyone interested in a sunday morning trail ride? dual sport licensed riders and insured bikes only please. no pavement ride, strictly dirt.  will start a little later than normal to allow temperature to warm a bit. meetup will be 9;30 am sunday morning. 2-3 hours trail ride at moderate trail pace. PM me directly if you are interested, will arrange meet up location. meetup is 9:30 am sunday. will need full fuel tank and cool weather riding gear. temperatures will be brisk but not frigid.

4 hours ago, allwashedup said:

anyone interested in a sunday morning trail ride? dual sport licensed riders and insured bikes only please. no pavement ride, strictly dirt.  will start a little later than normal to allow temperature to warm a bit. meetup will be 9;30 am sunday morning. 2-3 hours trail ride at moderate trail pace. PM me directly if you are interested, will arrange meet up location. meetup is 9:30 am sunday. will need full fuel tank and cool weather riding gear. temperatures will be brisk but not frigid.

Where are you riding from? My normal riding buddy is out of commission this weekend but I'd like to go out. Next weekend looks a little cooler so one last run before the port Elizabeth enduro.