CRF230 Shock options

Superb write up on the CR85 shock as well as the pictures. This is my first post but I've been soaking up all I can from the regulars on the threads since I purchased my 230 like a sponge. Cant wait to hear more feedback on ricky's set up in the rear with the fox option no longer available and the horror stories I've heard on the works unit. Just finished my Fork conversion with the 150 link in the rear but as it's been said it is much too soft. Heres a picture of progress for those interested, still missing a few pieces but almost there!

IMG_2630.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, EastCoast230 said:

Superb write up on the CR85 shock as well as the pictures. This is my first post but I've been soaking up all I can from the regulars on the threads since I purchased my 230 like a sponge. Cant wait to hear more feedback on ricky's set up in the rear with the fox option no longer available and the horror stories I've heard on the works unit. Just finished my Fork conversion with the 150 link in the rear but as it's been said it is much too soft. Heres a picture of progress for those interested, still missing a few pieces but almost there!

IMG_2630.JPG

I have road it a couple times and it’s the best suspension I have had on it to date. Love the cr85 shock. Will be working on the bike here and there but I’m setting up my new TX300 Husky now. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Doogee57 said:

Ahhh. Why not just use the whole XR250 shock?

I believe he is using the late xr250 shaft. Not sure but on the 230 the late xr250 shock is to short. Jealous you will have a high speed comp. adjuster! Nice work.

The 200 chassis complicates shock swaps because of how short the shock is.

My combo of parts is as follows; shortened cr body and piston, '96-'04 xr250r shaft, late model xr650l seal head.  The 650l seal head has the correct combo of 46mm body and 14mm shaft.

The 230 would be much easier because the 230 shock is more in line with what the big bikes are running now.  It looks like the clevis of say a '05 crf250r shock could be redrilled quite a bit higher.  There are several crf250r shocks on ebay for $69 shipped.  Sure there will be hurdles, but getting current top shelf shock technology is worth it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chadzu said:

The 200 chassis complicates shock swaps because of how short the shock is.

My combo of parts is as follows; shortened cr body and piston, '96-'04 xr250r shaft, late model xr650l seal head.  The 650l seal head has the correct combo of 46mm body and 14mm shaft.

The 230 would be much easier because the 230 shock is more in line with what the big bikes are running now.  It looks like the clevis of say a '05 crf250r shock could be redrilled quite a bit higher.  There are several crf250r shocks on ebay for $69 shipped.  Sure there will be hurdles, but getting current top shelf shock technology is worth it.

What kept me with the cr85r shock is spring diameter. Any larger and it hits the frame and possibly the air box.

3 hours ago, chadzu said:

I want to go to the cr shock for the 46mm piston, the hard ano coating, and most of all a real low and high speed compression adjuster

Oooo. Makes sense. By chopping the shock body I guess you could use just about anything.

46 minutes ago, chadzu said:

It looks like the clevis of say a '05 crf250r shock could be redrilled quite a bit higher. 

I've got a spare 05 CRF250R shock sitting on my bench. I use it for valving experiments so I can swap out the shock at the track on my "CRF290". I guess I should measure it and see if the body and 'milk bottle' reservoir would fit on an XR. I know it's really long, like 17" or something. I know the valving would be way off being that the spring is like what, half as stiff.? 

Edited by Doogee57
add line

Just now, Doogee57 said:

I've got a spare 05 CRF250R shock sitting on my bench. I use it for valving experiments so I can swap out the shock at the track on my "CRF290". I guess I should measure it and see if the body and 'milk bottle' reservoir would fit on an XR. I know it's really long, like 17" or something. 

If you could take 1" out of the clevis and then use a 1" shaft spacer you would be down to 15".  That should be pretty close?

1 minute ago, chadzu said:

If you could take 1" out of the clevis and then use a 1" shaft spacer you would be down to 15".  That should be pretty close?

15" seems pretty long. I've never measured my XR shock but I've see guys here at t-talk say it's 13 1/2"-13 5/8". (I edited my previous post about valving)

22 minutes ago, chadzu said:

I'm talking about the 230 which I think is around 15"?

Have someone check spring diameter. You will need frame mods to go bigger than what comes on a 39mm showa. That's why i didn't build a better later shock ?