Doc_d

Chest protector for woods riding?

What are people's thoughts on chest protectors for woods riding?  Are they helpful for more than just roost protection which I don't need in the woods?  Could they increase the chance of certain types of injuries?

I'm not talking about body armor like the Fox Titan.  I already have that but haven't ridden in it much because it's fairly hot and uncomfortable.  So I'm thinking about moving to a chest protector but want to make sure there is a benefit there and no downsides.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

After you've experienced a nipple willow whip doing 20 mph, you quickly see the benefits of a chest protector. :)

My chest protectors have saved me from numerous injuries over the years. Mainly chest to bar impacts and branch spearing/whips.

No protector related injuries to date (30ish years and counting). *knock on wood*

• Like 12

I never ride without a CP, no matter what terrain. But especially in terrain in which something can impale me, like a branch, downed tree, etc. If you have a get off in the woods, your roll across the ground before coming to a stop makes you vulnerable to anything.

I've tried the all-in-one suits, didn't care for them. Several years ago I took the front and back panels off my old Thor CP and fitted them to a set of hockey shoulder pads because I wanted better coverage than your standard CP has. They also absorb and deflect the impact forces of falling on your shoulders, helping to prevent a collerbone injury. Then I also wear separate elbow guards to round out the system.

No problems in the summer heat. I always wear a vented jersey. The shoulders look kinda ragged in the picture because they've taken a beating over the years.

DSCN4489.JPG

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 3

My main concern is getting impaled.  I wear an Atlas Defender (the full front and back version).  It is light and vented well, and best of all is made for use with my Atlas neck brace.

• Like 2

Also makes a useful luggage 'rack' as you can ziptie items thru the back panel:

hydration pack, small tool pouch etc.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Yeah, I often zip tie a camera bag to the front of mine. Also have a Gopro mount there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trailryder42 said:

I never ride without a CP, no matter what terrain. But especially in terrain in which something can impale me, like a branch, downed tree, etc. If you have a get off in the woods, your roll across the ground before coming to a stop makes you vulnerable to anything.

I've tried the all-in-one suits, didn't care for them. Several years ago I took the front and back panels off my old Thor CP and fitted them to a set of hockey shoulder pads because I wanted better coverage than your standard CP has. They also absorb and deflect the impact forces of falling on your shoulders, helping to prevent a collerbone injury. Then I also wear separate elbow guards to round out the system.

No problems in the summer heat. I always wear a vented jersey. The shoulders look kinda ragged in the picture because they've taken a beating over the years.

DSCN4489.JPG

That ain't TX. How 'bout a couple better pics of how you made that CP rig. I am near retiring my old Acerbis Zoom which is the same as your Thor I believe.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mlatour said:

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the input!

Getting impaled is one of the reasons I think I probably should be wearing something.  I went down last year and got stuck pretty good in the back by something.  It like 6 weeks for that puncture wound to heal.  However it was so low on my back I'm not sure if a chest protector would have prevented it,

So I'm not using a chest protector and ai do wear a camel bak.  I'm assuming the camel bak won't work when I get a chest protector.   Are there hydration packs made to work with chest protectors?

Doc

10 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Thanks for the input!

Getting impaled is one of the reasons I think I probably should be wearing something.  I went down last year and got stuck pretty good in the back by something.  It like 6 weeks for that puncture wound to heal.  However it was so low on my back I'm not sure if a chest protector would have prevented it,

So I'm not using a chest protector and ai do wear a camel bak.  I'm assuming the camel bak won't work when I get a chest protector.   Are there hydration packs made to work with chest protectors?

Doc

Should have no problem, it’s a back pack. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Thanks for the input!

Doc

I wear a hydration pack with mine no problem.  You just have to mess with the straps and how it sits until its comfortable.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Doc_d said:

Thanks for the input!

Doc

I roll with one of these that has worked awesome for me for a few years 

https://www.denniskirk.com/fly-racing/ready-to-ride-stingray-roost-guard-w-hydro-kit-28-5175.p3575743.prd/3575743.sku

50 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Thanks for the input!

Doc

I wear a camel back with my leatt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

That ain't TX. How 'bout a couple better pics of how you made that CP rig. I am near retiring my old Acerbis Zoom which is the same as your Thor I believe.

I wear the Camelback Hawg over my CP. No problems.

Bought a Hockey shoulder rig. Cut the front and back panels of it off, leaving the shoulders intact. Installed snaps to the CP plates and shoulder rig to mount the pieces together. IMO, There's nothing on the market with protection this good.

cp3.jpg

cp6.jpg

cp7.jpg

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, RobH_450EXC said:

Has anyone tried, and had good luck, with any of the under-the-jersey CP's/roost protectors?

Fine for MX by I ride too many rocks to not run a full on chest protector. 

This has been my go to for almost 5 years now. 

20CDB977-2824-4681-8DED-CD0270A62821.jpeg

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Trailryder42 said:

Bought a Hockey shoulder rig. Cut the front and back panels of it off, leaving the shoulders intact. Installed snaps to the CP plates and shoulder rig to mount the pieces together. IMO, There's nothing on the market with protection this good.

cp3.jpg

cp6.jpg

cp7.jpg

Probably nothing g on the market as heavy and bulky either😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ckny said:

Probably nothing g on the market as heavy and bulky either😂

I guess it's all in what you're used to. I've ridden in full gear from day 1. It sure doesn't seem heavy and bulky to me. Especially after having gone down while wearing it.

• Like 5