New FMF Powerbomb header is hitting frame. Help?

Hello all, I recently bought a 2008 DRZ400sm and it had had the stock header with the FMF Q4 muffler.  I just got around to replacing the stock header with the FMF Powerbomb header but I ran into a small issue:  The header makes contact with the frame exactly at the lower (engine side) weld for the expansion chamber.  I am able to wiggle it about 1/8 inch away but I am concerned it will still contact.  Is there anything I can wrap around the header to protect it from metal to metal contact?  Or any other solutions?

Thanks in advance!!!

@FMFRacing73

1 minute ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Is it possible that the old gasket fell out during the exhaust swap and is no longer in there?

No, I checked before lining up the new one.  The gasket is still in there.  Any advice for anything I could wrap around the exhaust as a sleeve just in case?

No, I checked before lining up the new one.  The gasket is still in there.  Any advice for anything I could wrap around the exhaust as a sleeve just in case?

Can you post a pic? I wouldn't wrap it, that would just guarantee contact and wear. Try a new gasket first and ride it for a while to see if it rubs. If it does I would contact FMF.
  • Like 1

• TT Sponsor

WhiskersFox,

Adding a new gasket should solve your problem. Also, when installing the header remove the muffler and install the header. Before tightening up the header and muffler make sure everything is in a neutral position before tightening everything up from the front to the back.

If you still have issues, give us a call and we will get you taken care of 310-631-4363

• Like 3