Great... Another Dual Sport Tire Post

I know, I know, there are a thousand of these. I have read through most of them, but still want your guy's input specific to me needs/wants.

I just got a plate for my WR450F. I have been riding strictly off-road for 20+ years and am an expert lever rider. I have multiple sets of wheels (front and rear), so now that I have a plate, I want to mount up a set of dual sport tires. My main problem is that I am not completely sure what my dual sport rides will look like yet. I may do some all paved rides (like commuting to work), and I may do some rides without any pavement (dirt roads and two track). I think my dual sport rides will all be in the summer as riding on wet roads in the cold at speed doesn't sound like fun (that's what single track is for, keeps you warm in the winter).

From reading threads on the subject I was initially leaning towards a Dunlop 606 rear and a Pereli MT21 front. But I am concerned how those will handle on the street.

Dunlop_D606_Dual_Purpose_Tires_1800x1800

61-034-11.jpg

A more street friendly combo that I am liking the looks of are the Kenda (or Shinko) big block tires. I am not too concerned about how these will handle mud, but am a bit concerned how they will handle loose dirt trails while going up hill. Do they have enough drive and bite?

KENDA-K784-BIG-BLOCK-2.jpg

20151020_121324_zpssqlsfipy.jpg

Price is a bit of a concern for me because regardless of what tires I get they may end up not being right for me since I really don't know how much paved riding I will end up doing. My dual sport tires will never be used for a full off-road ride since I will have wheels with soft terrain and hard terrain knobbies on them for those rides. I am thinking that I would like to do a section of the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route this summer so maybe I should target that type of dual sport riding.

I know, not a whole lot of solid info for you guys to help me, but I have seen you do more with much less.

PS: I also have Tubliss on two of my three sets of wheels. I would assume that Tubliss wouldn't be much of an advantage for dual sport riding (never mind that it's not DOT rated anyway) since low pressures aren't the norm for dual sport rides. I am planning on using my two Tubliss systems on the off-road only tires and HD tubes in the dual sport tires. Does this sound like the right way to go?

Edited by woods-rider

Big block on a hill climb I dont think would be good. on the BDR they would probably be ok.  Consider the IRC TR8 Battlerally too. I've used them and are happy, but I'm way down on power compared to you. I run soft compound dirt tires (505 cheater, Shinko 546) all the time now, just never get on the throttle while on pavement, it's a trade off I'm willing to compromise for to get the traction in the dirt and wet slippery stuff. My street riding is limited to dual sport events and casual around town.  I ran a Shink 705 set on a XR 400 that i commuted with, great on the street on dirt, but when the dirt got wet, they were terrible, as expected. The big block should give you some more confidence in that situation, but not on any wet single track. The MT21 and D606 seem to be staples, but I don't care for the price. Kenda track master are terrible on pavement and wear quickly, but the off road capabilities are very good. The K270 maybe good compromise in all regards and the price is right. As I said before I have no problems running non-DOT tire or Tubliss  for my use.

I would use HD tubes as you mentioned for mixed use. The 606 rear will go away quickly with much pavement but be better off-road. The Kenda Big blocks will last longer, maybe 2500 miles. Same for the Shinko. All three work fine on pavement as long as they aren't being ridden like a SM tire. 

43 minutes ago, NEODS said:

Big block on a hill climb I dont think would be good. on the BDR they would probably be ok.  Consider the IRC TR8 Battlerally too. I've used them and are happy, but I'm way down on power compared to you. I run soft compound dirt tires (505 cheater, Shinko 546) all the time now, just never get on the throttle while on pavement, it's a trade off I'm willing to compromise for to get the traction in the dirt and wet slippery stuff. My street riding is limited to dual sport events and casual around town.  I ran a Shink 705 set on a XR 400 that i commuted with, great on the street on dirt, but when the dirt got wet, they were terrible, as expected. The big block should give you some more confidence in that situation, but not on any wet single track. The MT21 and D606 seem to be staples, but I don't care for the price. Kenda track master are terrible on pavement and wear quickly, but the off road capabilities are very good. The K270 maybe good compromise in all regards and the price is right. As I said before I have no problems running non-DOT tire or Tubliss  for my use.

That IRC Battle Rally tire looks good. Kind of like a more aggressive big block tire and the price is decent too.

I am running the Shinko 525 Cheater rear tire right now and LOVING it in the soft stuff and slick rocks and roots. It's a bit sketchy on even the gravel road transfer sections though. The 505 cheater would probably be better for the road sections with its larger shorter knobs, but I don't think that is what I am looking for in a dual sport tire since I have dedicated dirt wheels.

I don't forsee doing any wet single track with my dual sport tires, but yeah, the D606/MT21 seem to be a popular choice. I am thinking that they are mainly popular for people who only have one set of wheels and need a true compromise. I don't need my dual sport tires to perform in extreme off-road conditions, just from pavement to medium difficulty double track is what I am thinking.

My buddy runs the Kenda Track Master and they look like decent off-road tires, but yeah, I don't see them being good on pavement or even higher speed gravel roads.

That K270 looks decent too, and the price is about half of the 606.

I love my Mefo Explorers, runs really good on the street, no noise, no knobby howling braking issues, and pretty good in the rain on asphalt, does very well on dry pavement twisties. Off road in the rocks, pretty good, better than some I have tried and surprised how good, but if you have rode with a good knobby it is not quite that. Works excellent on gravel roads and forest service trails, jeep roads. Not full street, not full dirt, but a really good all around tire. Mine is wearing well, so the slightly higher price was not an issue for me. I use a Malcolm Smith heavy duty tube. The tire calls for around 30 psi, I have found around 16-18 does great everywhere, even on the street.

MEFO.MED18-214-01.jpg

MEFO.MED25-214.jpg

2 hours ago, kdxyardsale said:

I love my Mefo Explorers, runs really good on the street, no noise, no knobby howling braking issues, and pretty good in the rain on asphalt, does very well on dry pavement twisties. Off road in the rocks, pretty good, better than some I have tried and surprised how good, but if you have rode with a good knobby it is not quite that. Works excellent on gravel roads and forest service trails, jeep roads. Not full street, not full dirt, but a really good all around tire. Mine is wearing well, so the slightly higher price was not an issue for me. I use a Malcolm Smith heavy duty tube. The tire calls for around 30 psi, I have found around 16-18 does great everywhere, even on the street.

MEFO.MED18-214-01.jpg

MEFO.MED25-214.jpg

Those remind me of truck tires, just mini sized.

201207.jpg

I think I would like something with a bit more sea and less land. I'm sure these would be good for mainly street riding (80/20). I think I am after something closer to 60/40 or 50/50.

I'll keep these in mind if my dual sport rides end up being more tarmac than I am initially thinking though.

Edited by woods-rider

Anyone try the Skinko 244? The look OK and the price is great (~$85 for the pair). The rear looks better than the front. The front looks like it might be a bit sketchy on anything that isn't paved.

oepfp544716_6f2a6aaa3d89a5d2696aa17edd2a

1 hour ago, woods-rider said:

Those remind me of truck tires, just mini sized.

201207.jpg

I think I would like something with a bit more sea and less land. I'm sure these would be good for mainly street riding (80/20). I think I am after something closer to 60/40 or 50/50.

I'll keep these in mind if my dual sport rides end up being more tarmac than I am initially thinking though.

That is funny. Well I ride about 60 dirt 40 street, and these tires are pretty damn good off road, I have rode some nasty jeep roads and single track with no problems. I never even think about, oh crap my tires can't do that. Not trying to sell you, just don't count them out. Good luck in your quest!

Edited by kdxyardsale

244 rear and TR-8 front for me on the DR650. K270 lasts a lot longer but 244 handles pavement better. Pirelli scorpion rally is also good on the front.

I ended up ordering the IRC TR8 front and rear and a Doubletake mirror. These are the last pieces of the puzzle to get my bike DOT legal (besides a horn which I don't plan on getting).

Thanks for the help guys!

My comments are too late to help woods-rider but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents anyway.  My bike is a 2016 KTM 500EXC. I tried the Dunlop 606 on the front and rear. The front held up well and has decent traction on the street and gravel roads (still on bike after 1,000 miles).  The rear wore out in less than 400 mostly street/gravel road miles.  I then switched the rear tire to the Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T tire and couldn't be happier.  Both the wear (double the Dunlop so far) and traction have been excellent for my use.  The good news is that the prices are very reasonable.

Motoz DesertHT.jpg

Edited by IAoffroader
correction