Losing coolant, watery oil

All,

Another question about my 2001 DRZ400e. As detailed in another thread, I recently got my head back from Fastheads for a valve job. I also installed a new piston and rings while keeping my existing cylinder. The bike finally starts and runs!

Initially I noticed a frothy white oily mixture dripping from the end of the valve cover vent hose. I pulled the valve cover and didn't see any issues so I was hoping it was something leftover in the hose prior to the rebuild.

I went to drain the oil and it was very thin and almost watery- grey in color. I could not see green coolant in the oil and it wasn't milky white, but it was definitely thin. When I ran it between my fingers you could tell it was watery.

I drained the coolant and it had white bubbles in it - no evidence of oil. I also removed the hose off the water pump and again, green coolant with no evidence of oil.

No white smoke out of exhaust. Runs clean.

The head gasket I used was new as was the base gasket. Before I tear it down again I was hoping for some suggestions.
thanks

Edited by Augoose

42 minutes ago, Augoose said:

All,

Another question about my 2001 DRZ400e. As detailed in another thread, I recently got my head back from Fastheads for a valve job. I also installed a new piston and rings while keeping my existing cylinder. The bike finally starts and runs!

Initially I noticed a frothy white oily mixture dripping from the end of the valve cover vent hose. I pulled the valve cover and didn't see any issues so I was hoping it was something leftover in the hose prior to the rebuild.

I went to drain the oil and it was very thin and almost watery- grey in color. I could not see green coolant in the oil and it wasn't milky white, but it was definitely thin. When I ran it between my fingers you could tell it was watery.

I drained the coolant and it had white bubbles in it - no evidence of oil. I also removed the hose off the water pump and again, green coolant with no evidence of oil.

The head gasket I used was new as was the base gasket. Before I tear it down again I was hoping for some suggestions.
thanks

Have a look at the head welch plugs, yours is defiantly old enough to have them rusted and pin hole leaks . Not super common but a few years with water only or old, not enough coolant can do it.  

A small amount of moisture is often going to be present in the motor at start up..Hot motor cools on a cold winter day, you get some moisture condensation in the engine... that is one reason short trips where the engine does not get to full operation temp and stay there for a bit are hard on the engine.. 
BUT that is only enough to get a little frothing at the breather line or around the dip stick cap..

Not emulsified oil in the tank. motor nor diluted oil.
Diluted oil is often gas though, as with enough coolant in the oil to dilute it, you will find a mess often described as "chocolate milkshake" 
 Are you actually "Loosing " enough coolant to see that it is low?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Augoose said:

All,

48 minutes ago, Augoose said:

All,

thanks

This is what you will find if you have a large water in oil problem 5a6cf36789fde_post-389285-0-02996400-13936193241.jpg.2aeaea9e4b49cb72e633ff265864d4e9.jpg

• Like 1

A little moisture in the motor from changing temps, humid, rain, hot to cold storage ect..
Might look like this on the dip stick after start and a short trip not long enough to burn off moisture 

5a6cf4d788fc2_post-427174-145341216247411.thumb.jpg.7c4f4d553df376ed0e9f59625ffc0342.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks all for the help - it is greatly appreciated.

In reading the above and thinking about it more, I'm hoping that it was indeed fuel mixed with oil that I saw drain out into the pan. I drained all the oil out and it was chocolate but not frothy. Who knows when the PO last changed the oil too. Before I replaced the piston which had stuck rings, I tried to start it alot - used starting fluid, etc. Thinking about the above, all that stuff likely drained right down into the engine and mixed with the oil. Additionally, when I was draining the radiator, I spilled new green coolant into the oil accidentally. Later on this evening when I poured it out, the green coolant bubbles were still separate from the oil, again pointing to fuel and not coolant that was mixed.

I also pulled the valve cover and inspected the welch plugs - best I could tell they looked intact and all the oil in and around the top of the head looked nice and clean. No froth at all.

Lastly, I refilled the oil and the coolant and let the bike idle. I checked the coolant again and it took about a cup, I assume air worked its way out and additional passageways were filled. I then rode the bike for about 30 minutes. Nothing hard. Bike did not seem to over heat. I stopped and let the bike cool and checked the radiator - the coolant was down a bit, maybe two capfulls. No oil bubbles and no air bubbles - but I did wait to let it cool.

The frothy hose ends worried me initially but you all addressed that above - plus there is no froth under the valve cover, no froth draining into the pan, and no froth on the dipstick.

Thanks again!

• Like 3

On 1/28/2018 at 5:47 AM, Erik Marquez said:

frothy white oily mixture , sure bring back memories of mine old 2 stokers , always have this problem

FYI,

My latest oil change was just like you are describing and I had a weeping water pump.

I just did fresh oil and new water pump assemble, hopefully that takes care of my issue.

6 hours ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:
On 1/27/2018 at 8:59 PM, MyKLX400 said:
Could be the water pump seal as well.

just a fyi

Not could be. IS

@Augoose    Reading your last post on this, you solved the issue months ago,  no hard part replacement. It was coolant left over from other events it seems, not water pump.
Can you close this one out?

Sorry all to leave the thread hanging. Best i can tell the oil was contaminated with starter fluid and gas which was leaking past the stuck rings. I'm having no further issues. After a coolant flush, oil change and coolant and breather hose change all around, the bike is running great and the oil looks good- thanks to the support on this forum!

The coolant level is staying the same now and I assume that the sudden drop was due to air bubbles. I also pulled the water pump and the impeller looked fine. The leak at the base of the water pump housing was coming from a small hole in the coolant hose right above the housing.

Thanks again!

• Like 1