I Want To Make My 1997 XR200 Look Like This One!

I got a great deal on a 1997 XR200 and have it running and idling great. Now that I have it running good, I want to fix some of the aesthetics. The front drum needs to be adjusted but I want to go to a disc brake anyways. I am looking at CR125 front ends and I know this has been covered pretty well on here. I came across this picture of a 1997 XR200 on some website called "Dirtbike Rider Pictures" but I couldn't comment to ask them what mods they have made. This picture is not mine and I take no credit for it. I am only posting it on here because I would like to make similar mods on my bike to look like their bike. Does anybody know what kind of front end is on this bike? What kind of rear end? It almost looks like a CR85 or CR125 front and an XR250 rear? Any suggestions on what this looks like would be appreciated. And if the original poster of this photo sees it, please let me know what mods you made to your 1997 XR. Thanks. 

1997-Honda-XR200-379808.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, it kind of does look like that. Did they have different wheel sizes? The one in the picture I posted looks a little more low profile though. My 97 has that huge 21" front wheel and small 17" rear wheel. I think it looks pretty ugly and want to make it look better. 

Yeah the 17 - 21 does look weird - the earlier ones had 18 rear

How about 17 - 23  - 1979 XR500 - had one of these - first thing i did was replace the front wheel with a 21

5a6d1d74d9b5b_HondaXR50002.jpg.71fcb1026b6a778b10cb18af5239f586.jpg

I looked at that kit today! It says it fits a 250. Not sure if it would fit a 200. That company's site hasn't been updated in a few years though. 

On 1/27/2018 at 5:17 PM, SC_Forester said:

I got a great deal on a 1997 XR200 and have it running and idling great. Now that I have it running good, I want to fix some of the aesthetics. The front drum needs to be adjusted but I want to go to a disc brake anyways. I am looking at CR125 front ends and I know this has been covered pretty well on here. I came across this picture of a 1997 XR200 on some website called "Dirtbike Rider Pictures" but I couldn't comment to ask them what mods they have made. This picture is not mine and I take no credit for it. I am only posting it on here because I would like to make similar mods on my bike to look like their bike. Does anybody know what kind of front end is on this bike? What kind of rear end? It almost looks like a CR85 or CR125 front and an XR250 rear? Any suggestions on what this looks like would be appreciated. And if the original poster of this photo sees it, please let me know what mods you made to your 1997 XR. Thanks. 

1997-Honda-XR200-379808.jpg

That's definitely a foreign (non U.S.A) model. Notice the shape of the seat, and the rear passenger foot pegs that appear factory mounted, as well as the hand holds for passenger. Also the exhaust looks like a stock muffler, but that's not anything like ours. 

If that is a foreign model, that disk brake front end could be stock to that bike. The diameter of the fork tubes doesn't look to be anything more than an xr250r front end. 

The swingarm looks to just be the stock 200r steel arm, notice the hole on the side, looks like there's rust. I don't even think our swing arm has that hole on it. 

The tank has a cover on it. Haven't been able to find much in the way of covers for the 200r, but if you find one that fits the 250r it should fit. The side plastics aren't the shape of the USA plastics either and neither fender are the same either. 

Hardest part about changing the looks of a domestic XR200R is finding a tank cover. The CR front fender will mount on XR forks. Other than that, you'll just have to be creative. Good luck

After looking again, that's also electric start, which would indicate it's not a domestic USA XR200R

Edited by Daniel627
Added something

Yeah, after looking at more and more bikes on the web, that does look like a South American or even Asian model. Thanks for the info on the bike in the picture and what is available here. I'm planning on putting a late 80's CR125 front end on mine and then I'll work on the back. I know I want to get an 18' rear wheel so I'll look for a junk XR250. Would an 80's model 200 work as well to compensate for the raised CR front end? I think they sat a lot higher than the 90's models. I had an 87 and it was a pretty big bike (I'm 5'6") and the 97 is a lot shorter. I will post a link if I find any tank covers.