Loose 3.6 oz at your Swing arm pivot area.

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

Just gun drill the center out of the whole length of the pivot bolt with a 9/32 drill.

• Like 1

Did you have to use a special center drill and drill bit? You said you broke one earlier because the axle is very hard? Didn't you get an axle from an earlier XR250L?

The swing arm pivot bolt material is not as hard.

I did get a L rear axle from E Bay

It is approx 1” longer.

Thought I had a die to thread it shorter but it’s not the right die.

The axle diameter is 17mm, the threaded area is a lot closer to 16mm of X 1.5 pitch but my die is 16 x 1.5

And does not fit.

My thread pitch gauge says it’s 1.5 pitch for sure but I have not been able to locate a 17x 1.5 die today (a day off)

So I will search “On line”

I wanted to find one to make sure of the exact size first, but no luck yet.

Would you be so kind as to confirm the exact size die I need?

If so, I will order on line.

Thanks for the inquiries.

Oh shoot, totally didn't realize this post was referring to the swing arm pivot bolt even though it says so in the title! Haha, thanks for the info. You're asking me what size die you need? Is the L axle thread the same size and pitch as the 230 axle?

• Like 1

Oh shoot, totally didn't realize this post was referring to the swing arm pivot bolt even though it says so in the title! Haha, thanks for the info. You're asking me what size die you need? Is the L axle thread the same size and pitch as the 230 axle?

Yep they are the same except for the L is approximately 1” longer and it is drilled completely through the center approximately 8mm except the threaded area is smaller, around 1/4 “
The L axle is lighter.
The axle nuts are exactly the same and interchangeable between the two axles.

:facepalm: probably easier to loose a few oz of body wait

• Like 2

Just measured my xr200 rear axle, which should be the same as the 230, and got M16x1.5. I just counted the number of threads over .500" length and it was 8 1/2, and a 1.5 pitch is about 17 TPI, so I don't know why your die doesn't fit...

Just measured my xr200 rear axle, which should be the same as the 230, and got M16x1.5. I just counted the number of threads over .500" length and it was 8 1/2, and a 1.5 pitch is about 17 TPI, so I don't know why your die doesn't fit...

Ok thanks for your efforts, just ordered a 17x1.5 die from Amazon...
Will see and report back

Whats the "wall" thickness of your drilled out bolt? Is it at least 1/3 of the bolt diameter? If not I'd worry about it breaking. Just something to think about. I can't imagine what it would be like to break a swing arm bolt and have it fall out. I shudder to think about it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, adnohguy said:

Yep they are the same except for the L is approximately 1” longer and it is drilled completely through the center approximately 8mm except the threaded area is smaller, around 1/4 “
The L axle is lighter.
The axle nuts are exactly the same and interchangeable between the two axles.

Die cutting threads is the worst way to cut them, leaves a ragged cut, lots of stress risers. Machine cutting them in a lathe would be much better, but still not as strong as a factory rolled thread. I would follow Stevethe's suggestion and make up a couple aluminum washer spacers if you are determined to use that axle. Heck, even better, make up a couple 1/4" thick aluminum snail chain tensioners and put steel washers outside them. Cut off any excess length on the axle bolt. 

Heck, it appears you can even buy them cheap: 

excentricas-tensores-cadena-rojo_3420881

I have been using die cut threads for quite some time on the L axle that I run on my bike. It’s not a fighter jet don’t over think it.

Whats the "wall" thickness of your drilled out bolt? Is it at least 1/3 of the bolt diameter? If not I'd worry about it breaking. Just something to think about. I can't imagine what it would be like to break a swing arm bolt and have it fall out. I shudder to think about it.

Same exact thickness after drilling the as early to mid 90’s xr250l Duel Sport. They came pre drilled already from the factory back then.

In my case:
OEM Factory Honda thickness and Die cut threads will be good enough for who it’s for.

Not worried about it in the slightest.

It’s not for Supercross racing.
  • Like 2

Honda used a drilled swing arm bolt on lots of xr’s. 7mm hole in 14mm bolt. Don’t sweat it. They just cheaped out on the 230 cause it’s just a little girls bike.
  • Like 3