XR650L Tail light, brake light issues

I immediately tore down my bike upon getting it to do an FCR swap, battery relocation, etc.  I put it back together and now the LED tail light or brake light is not working.

Coming from the bike, I have 3 wires. Green, green/yellow, and brown.  Using a test light to ground, I am getting lightup on the brown and green wire.  When I touch test light to green/yellow wire, my tail light lights up.  Pictures below to show.  Picture 2 and 3 go together, I just didnt have enough hands to capture it all at once, lol.

20180127_181437.thumb.jpg.7274aa9e758d6807abecd3ba72c52da5.jpg

20180127_181444.thumb.jpg.2e540215580fe40b36a10a97df641121.jpg

20180127_181447.thumb.jpg.1289035e1b1bda85fc79b00df8d520e4.jpg

When I switch the yellow and red wire, test light to ground again, I get lightup on the test light on brown and green/yellow.  Green/yellow was lit up with the front brake lever on.  There was no light from the tail light or brake light when I touched my test light to it.

My rear brake switch does not seem to work as it makes no change in the test light when I press the brake.  The front brake does make a change.

Any ideas? 

20180127_185247.thumb.jpg.390bcf69915e381377c190b2567f1bd9.jpg

20180127_185343.thumb.jpg.5af80ff74711d6162e71cfd21f8e7332.jpg

Edited by v757b
23 hours ago, v757b said:

Any ideas? 

Have you identified the purpose of each wire color from your new light? 

LEDs are polarity specific, your test light is not.  In other words, if your test light is connected backward it will illuminate but your LED taillight won't.  Your test light will also draw a ground through another light bulb and won't tell help you identifying wire color purpose.  So you can touch two hot wires with your test light and it may illuminate.  Those incadescent test lights can make things very confusing.

Knowing that your taillight illuminates when you touch the green/yellow with the test light tells me you do not have a ground until the test light creates one.

Edited by Hollerhead

Have you identified the purpose of each wire color from your new light? 

I have not. I ran a jump wire to them and one of them, cant remember red or yellow, lights up the rear. The other does nothing

LEDs are polarity specific, your test light is not.  In other words, if your test light is connected backward it will illuminate but your LED taillight won't.  Your test light will also draw a ground through another light bulb and won't tell help you identifying wire color purpose.  So you can touch two hot wires with your test light and it may illuminate.  Those incadescent test lights can make things very confusing.

Knowing that your taillight illuminates when you touch the green/yellow with the test light tells me you do not have a ground until the test light creates one.

I'll admit, I'm quite confused by the explanation...not your fault, I'm terrible with electric.

I was thinking the same thing, ground. But I had checked. I will check again though. Is the tail light ground wire the one connected above the airbox?

PS: I accidentally bridged the ground and hot wire and blew a fuse, so I'll need to grab a new one, lol

Yes, that ground under the seat is it.  It's the dark green.

Green/yellow is the power to the high intensity (brake) portion of the LED.  It should have power when either brake is used.

Brown is the power to the low intensity (running) portion of the LED.  It should have power at all times when the key is on.  If the brown has it's power all the time then both brake switches should have power as well as they share the circuit.

I'd guess your LED light is connected as follows:

black > dark green (ground)

yellow > brown (low intensity)

red > green/yellow (high intensity)

These connections are just a guess and could be totally wrong.

Edited by Hollerhead
On 1/28/2018 at 8:54 PM, Hollerhead said:

Yes, that ground under the seat is it.  It's the dark green.

Green/yellow is the power to the high intensity (brake) portion of the LED.  It should have power when either brake is used.

Brown is the power to the low intensity (running) portion of the LED.  It should have power at all times when the key is on.  If the brown has it's power all the time then both brake switches should have power as well as they share the circuit.

I'd guess your LED light is connected as follows:

black > dark green (ground)

yellow > brown (low intensity)

red > green/yellow (high intensity)

These connections are just a guess and could be totally wrong.

Awesome!  Thank you for that info so far.  

I went through it a little last night before the baby woke up and havent found anything yet.  If I run a jump wire to each LED wire seperately, other than ground, should it light up?  (Running a wire connected to ground)  I'm wondering if my tail light could be blown. 

10 hours ago, v757b said:

If I run a jump wire to each LED wire seperately, other than ground, should it light up?  (Running a wire connected to ground)  I'm wondering if my tail light could be blown. 

Yes.  That's the best way to determine which color wire does what. 

Connect a good ground jumper wire to black on your light.  Touch a good 12 volt jumper to red then yellow and see what happens.  If nothing happens move your ground jumper to yellow and touch 12 volt jumper to black then red.  And so on.  You never know what color may be used for way unless you can see the LED board which may be marked. 

You won't hurt it if hooked up backward but it will not light up if hooked up backward.

Edited by Hollerhead
Yes.  That's the best way to determine which color wire does what. 
Connect a good ground jumper wire to black on your light.  Touch a good 12 volt jumper to red then yellow and see what happens.  If nothing happens move your ground jumper to yellow and touch 12 volt jumper to black then red.  And so on.  You never know what color may be used for way unless you can see the LED board which may be marked. 
You won't hurt it if hooked up backward but it will not light up if hooked up backward.
I did the test.

Black wire to ground, Yellow to positive: Tail light lit up w/license plate light

Red wire to ground, Yellow to positive: Brake light lit up

Broken tail light?

Something seems odd if you are certain the yellow was connected to positive.  Your light seems to do everything its supposed to do though.  

It appears that your yellow wire is the common (normally ground) and the black is for running light and the red for brake.

Again, normally LEDs will not light up when connected with reversed polarity but it seems yours does.