Helmet with shield

I hate goggles. I usually wear a helmet with a pull down face shield. I'm not racing, not to likely to get roosted in the face. Rocks do get thrown, stuff happens, so I realize the need. However, 80 % of my riding is in my back yard playing on obstacles like a trials rider. Trials riders don't even have a helmet frontal. When I do go ride somewhere, I pull the clear face protector down as needed.  However selection is limited on these types of helmets. I need a better helmet. Mine is cheap. Anybody recommend a good helmet this style. Preferably vented

So what are you riding when out? Slow technical? If so a helmet with pull down visor is a no go, too hot, unless you live in a cold climate. I wouldn't recommend a trails helmet, only good for slow speeded crashes so that limits the usage.

What don't you like about goggles?

1 hour ago, Gowey said:

So what are you riding when out? Slow technical? If so a helmet with pull down visor is a no go, too hot, unless you live in a cold climate. I wouldn't recommend a trails helmet, only good for slow speeded crashes so that limits the usage.

What don't you like about goggles?

About every other day, I ride my obstacles at my home. Usually by myself, Cross training. Pretending to be a trials rider.  Some days we load up and go somewhere, like CAW or Brushy mountain or woods ride my private hunting lease. So, sometimes I need the face shield, other times I don't. I hate goggles because I can't take them up and down like the shield, "on the fly". If I pull out front, to lead, the shield goes up, if someone is in front, the shield goes down. If you have never used this style, don't because you will no longer like goggles. Flipping up or down on the fly is really easy. 

58 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Do you use the quick strap on your goggles ?

No, had to google that. How are they "on the fly" as far as putting back on. Off looks easy enough

Bell Adventure MX9 is my go to for my dual sport when off road. I’m the same way with a “real” dirt helmet and goggles. Don’t prefer that set up and don’t really need it for the kind of offroading i do. The MX9 breathes decent enough and has good peripherals.

5 minutes ago, 1gr8bldr said:

No, had to google that. How are they "on the fly" as far as putting back on. Off looks easy enough

Piece of wee wee - stick on velcro - one handed system

alot easier than trying to wrestle without

13 minutes ago, cooldudesmd said:

Bell Adventure MX9 is my go to for my dual sport when off road. I’m the same way with a “real” dirt helmet and goggles. Don’t prefer that set up and don’t really need it for the kind of offroading i do. The MX9 breathes decent enough and has good peripherals.

I googled that. I like it it. Thanks

20 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Do you use the quick strap on your goggles ?

Best invention in decades. I have the quick release straps on both my dirt and snowmobile helmets. 

• Like 2

I only ride with a full shield and love it in the woods and single track I open it about a half inch and it works great when getting a branch in your face it deflects it when I had goggles I had branch getting in and scratching my face. The other reason also is that I wear glasses and goggles were hard to use with them. You can see in the pic I’m patiently waiting for spring.:ride:

E48A9A61-1B74-488D-844A-62DDD0070C73.jpeg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bmwgus said:

I only ride with a full shield and love it in the woods and single track I open it about a half inch and it works great when getting a branch in your face it deflects it when I had goggles I had branch getting in and scratching my face. The other reason also is that I wear glasses and goggles were hard to use with them. You can see in the pic I’m patiently waiting for spring.:ride:

E48A9A61-1B74-488D-844A-62DDD0070C73.jpeg

I guess it makes sense when you have to wear prescription glasses like i do - but im pretty used to wearing goggles and glasses

any disadvantages with a visor - wouldnt they fog up quicker ?

• Like 1

I only wear goggles when racing.  I have 2 adventure helmets, but several years ago started wearing high quality safety glasses when trail riding.  Never wear anything else now.  Try it and you'll be surprised.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

I guess it makes sense when you have to wear prescription glasses like i do - but im pretty used to wearing goggles and glasses

Yes they fog.  If i crack my visor open the curved shield really fish bowls the view. 

I have an Arai. Nice helmet but over priced. Only good for me on the road or cold weather riding easy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seer said:

Yes they fog.  If i crack my visor open the curved shield really fish bowls the view.

fair enough - i'll just stick to what i'm used to i think

21 hours ago, cooldudesmd said:

+1 I really like my MX9.  I had it in my Amazon wishlist & a vendor sent me offer for a blem helmet for less than $120.  Couldn’t ever find them blem once I got it.  Works great when not doing motocross.

1 hour ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Actually goggles used to fog up much quicker, if my shield starts fogging up I’ll just crack it open and the fog is gone.

30 minutes ago, BetaDale said:

+1 I really like my MX9.  I had it in my Amazon wishlist & a vendor sent me offer for a blem helmet for less than $120.  Couldn’t ever find them blem once I got it.  Works great when not doing motocross.

I have a MX9 and I like it but I use that on the street only or if I take my GS offroad.