2017 TE250 - must revalve?

I picked up a left over 2017 TE250 and I am getting the suspension lowered a little, around an inch.  Of the companies around that I would have the work done at, two suggest a revalve, almost making it sound mandatory, the third says its up to me.

I am coming off a 2013 KTM XCW, which had open chamber shocks, full revalve/sprung for woods by one of the companies.  I am not sure I ever gained the full benefit of the revalve compared to stock.  I am 150lbs so I am right around the max for springs once geared up.  These Xplor shocks I have read are horrible, can't be ridden, must have revalve, and some people suggest just going up a spring rate for most of the riding and its blown out of proportion how bad they.  I have scoured the orange sections and most complaints come from those guys, (since I am now not one of those guys I get to say that lol)

This is not a racing rig, its my weekend single track weapon for fun, i would class myself as a strong intermediate rider, been riding 20+ years, mostly rocky mountain single track, some fast transitions, but really 2-3 gear, and sometimes some 4th through sand/whoop sections when its there.

The reason I am asking is, I am getting it lowered before i ride it, but obviously if I want to revalve it later its going to be an added cost.  I am not a suspension guru so I am looking for experience/advice.

Thanks

ignore the negative comments. I was reasonably happy with my te fork with just heavier springs. I also wasn't suffering at all in the speed category.

My xplor forks feel the best I’ve had on any of my bikes and all I did was add the correct spring for my weight.

Although probably not needed if your having your suspension lowered id have them work alittle valving magic when they have then apart.

Cant be ridden ? Must be revalved ? Is that coming from someone who actually rides an explor equipped te ?
Dial the bike in for YOU .
Listening to others telling you how to set up YOUR bike is foolish , expensive , and dangerous .
In my personal opinion the explor forks are just about the best forks WP has come up with . While they are not mx oriented , they are freaking wonderful in the woods .

I sure like mine on my 17te250 till around the 60 hour mark then they started to get harsh and now at 85hr they need help. I know they are way over due and should have changed oil at 60hr. I am sending the suspension away to get revalved. I am getting 3 mid valve added for more adjustment. Look at Kreft revalve post or there website for good explanation.

Edited by pedec
16 hours ago, ohiocoalminer said:

Cant be ridden ? Must be revalved ? Is that coming from someone who actually rides an explor equipped te ?
Dial the bike in for YOU .
Listening to others telling you how to set up YOUR bike is foolish , expensive , and dangerous .
In my personal opinion the explor forks are just about the best forks WP has come up with . While they are not mx oriented , they are freaking wonderful in the woods .

These are local shops, the only local shops. They obviously went to make money off the revalve but given it’s going to be apart to add the spacers and springs I didn’t want to ride it and hate it a day later then pay for basically a service again to have them revalved.

Saving $200-300 up front if needed I would do but if they aren’t as bad as %99 of the reports say and please search the forms and find a positive review of them, then I would do it. 

So I understand what you are saying but wanted some insight from actual riders. Thanks 

You can swap the springs , front and rear , at home . Its not hard . You can buy the springs and tools at slavens for less than the shipping and labor at a lot of suspension shops.

I have the 17TE250 and had it lowered 1.5". Don't forget to adjust your side stand. I really liked the lowering. I am close to your weight but do carry a lot of gear for long trail rides. My buddy did the revalve and shortening with Racetech. It works great but cost a bit more than i wanted. Now going to add header pipe protection and I will be good. I seemed to hit my footpegs a bit more too. They seem to bend easy if hit and bent back. I never had great luck with carb and eventually went to Lechtron  Good luck. 

IMG_20170730_183100863.jpg

On 1/29/2018 at 6:12 PM, ohiocoalminer said:

You can swap the springs , front and rear , at home . Its not hard . You can buy the springs and tools at slavens for less than the shipping and labor at a lot of suspension shops.

I am in Canada, I cannot buy anything for less than shipping from the US.

On 1/30/2018 at 2:09 PM, MotoBilly said:

I have the 17TE250 and had it lowered 1.5". Don't forget to adjust your side stand. I really liked the lowering. I am close to your weight but do carry a lot of gear for long trail rides. My buddy did the revalve and shortening with Racetech. It works great but cost a bit more than i wanted. Now going to add header pipe protection and I will be good. I seemed to hit my footpegs a bit more too. They seem to bend easy if hit and bent back. I never had great luck with carb and eventually went to Lechtron  Good luck. 

I have decided not to do any revalving for now.  I'll get a baseline on how much I want to lower it after setting sag and removing some foam.  I hope to not go more than an inch.  With my XC-W I was able to get 3/4" from the Xbushing and 1/2" seat foam and it was good %90 of the time for me, so if I can go 1" or less on internal I will be happy.  I only need a partial foot down for real off camber stuff, pivot turns will never be in my future lol.

Ditto on proper springs front and rear first. I did, raised fork oil level a bit to reduce bottoming then felt the bike was reasonably ride-able. For fast technical rides, the stock boingers need more. I went local killer tuner who is a  Race Tech shop, all in. I now ride a high-speed reclining couch. Having stated that, the STOCKERS ADJUSTED WITH CORRECT SPRINGS are pretty good.

I’m 5’7” and about 150 with gear on. Changed the front and rear springs to lighter (17 Te250), and shaved the seat as low as it’d go. I ride standing up most of the time so my butt never gets sore (padded shorts help a lot). I dropped my forks to 7.8mm from the top of the fork caps to the clamp and it was a lot nicer. Then I got a 100 aspect rear goldentyre and that kind of took two steps back. I run 4psi in the rear to try compensating. I’m really reluctant to revalve since the suspension feels great. I think if I did lower it, I would think harder about revalving because you’re changing so much more. If you haven’t, I’d recommend just changing springs first and seeing how well you can adapt. Hell, if Megs Brap can ride unchanged, that’s enough for me to try until I can’t take it. I ride all single and woods, and try to keep getting better at logs and technical stuff. I rode with a guy that was 5’5 on a gasgas 300 unchanged and he rode like *everything* without a problem. Skills skills skills!

On 2018-02-03 at 10:43 PM, vzero said:

I’m 5’7” and about 150 with gear on. Changed the front and rear springs to lighter (17 Te250), and shaved the seat as low as it’d go. I ride standing up most of the time so my butt never gets sore (padded shorts help a lot). I dropped my forks to 7.8mm from the top of the fork caps to the clamp and it was a lot nicer. Then I got a 100 aspect rear goldentyre and that kind of took two steps back. I run 4psi in the rear to try compensating. I’m really reluctant to revalve since the suspension feels great. I think if I did lower it, I would think harder about revalving because you’re changing so much more. If you haven’t, I’d recommend just changing springs first and seeing how well you can adapt. Hell, if Megs Brap can ride unchanged, that’s enough for me to try until I can’t take it. I ride all single and woods, and try to keep getting better at logs and technical stuff. I rode with a guy that was 5’5 on a gasgas 300 unchanged and he rode like *everything* without a problem. Skills skills skills!

We don’t all have unlimited training rides and Graham Jarvis giving us tips like Megs either lol 

4 minutes ago, takethebounce said:

We don’t all have unlimited training rides and Graham Jarvis giving us tips like Megs either lol 

True - although Megs was a gnarly scrappy little rider before she started riding with Jarvis! We all just need to work at a dirt bike shop, live on top ramen, and move to a place we can ride every day...sounds easy. 

On 1/30/2018 at 2:09 PM, MotoBilly said:

IMG_20170730_183100863.jpg

Added a nice pipe protector and FMF Turbine Core . Sounds nice. Ready for the high country.

IMG_20180405_201835924.jpg

IMG_20180405_201859510.jpg