Help 87 xr600r ISO new rear wheel/advice

So I'm kind of at a loss.  A little background I picked up a non running 87 xr600r project for about $400 that was pretty beat up and came to life with a cheap new stator. My plan was to tear it down replace a few bearings fix a head gasket leak and probably sleeve it and add a new piston since I'd be in the top end. Sand & paint the frame and engine, call it a day and have a cheap trail bike.

Since I've had it running I havent been able to to ride it.  The tires were junk and the front sprocket was on backwards making the chain rub half irs rivets off on the frame. 

I bought a new chain, sprocket, tires and tubes for about $200 bucks off fleabay.. I'm cheap but one think I hate is fighting with tire spoons so I drop the wheels and tires down to my local bike shop hoping to putt around this weekend being so nice out. Unfortunately they were out sick so I stopped by the Indian triumph polaris dealer next door who says they got me and will give me a call.

Buzzkill. They call me a couple hours later and let me know the front rim had some rust issues but they got the tire on. Then they tell me the rear rim is rusted and trashed on the inside. They said they'd try to track down a rim or replacement but didnt have any luck. 

I did some hunting on fleabay and found some wheels for $200-400 w shipping for a rear which could be just as ratted out. They sell some cheap Chinese rims for about $235 f+r shipped but I'd also have to buy spokes which would add another $100-200 And labor to install them could be another $100 or more. Also being a dealership I'm already charged $100 for the tire change so they get there minimum shop hour and spent $110 on eBay for the tires & tubes...

Adding all that up is be at least $6-700 bucks in wheels in tires alone. I haven't even ridden it to uncover any other problems and already think it at least needs a top end.. I'm About $800 in the bike right now and was hoping to keep it all around $1500 or at least less 2k. I was thinking most of that would be in the top end rebuild. Above $2k is probably more then the bike rebuilt is worth. I'm hoping I can find a used rear pretty cheap If anyone on here has one that's not rusted out? Or knows of anything else that will fit on it? I reall love these xr's but if I can't come up with anything im thinking of putting it up for sale or parting it out since I could through the front end on my 85 xl600r scramber I built..

Anybody have any thoughts or ideas? 

Pics for good measure.

Thanks

20171216_164759.jpg

20180126_220920.jpg

• Like 1

All these use the same hub, rim, spokes, bearings, oil seals etc

Honda Motorcycle 1983 XR350R A Rear Wheel

Honda Motorcycle 1983 XR500R A Rear Wheel

Honda Motorcycle 1984 XR500R A Rear Wheel

Honda Motorcycle 1984 XR350R A Rear Wheel

Honda Motorcycle 1985 XR600R A Rear Wheel

Honda Motorcycle 1985 XR350R A Rear Wheel

Honda Motorcycle 1986 XR600R A Rear Wheel

Honda Motorcycle 1987 XR600R A Rear Wheel

• Like 1

Where abouts are you located ?

USA by the looks of the map on the wall  :D

• Like 2

Thanks that actually helps out a lot although it looks like most of the 350 and 500 rears are 17" instead of 18".. So I might have to keep on looking.. 

Good call on the map.. I'm actually rigit in the middle in Kansas city..

50 minutes ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Rusted aluminum rims? Not sure I follow.

I haven' picked them up yet so I haven' seen how bad mine are but I assume where the spokes meet the wheels can get pretty bad.. here are some pics from some rusted eBay xr rims 

s-l400.jpg

s-l400-1.jpg

Edited by Midwestscrambler
  • Like 1

Thanks that actually helps out a lot although it looks like most of the 350 and 500 rears are 17" instead of 18".. So I might have to keep on looking.. 

Good call on the map.. I'm actually rigit in the middle in Kansas city..

I haven' picked them up yet so I haven' seen how bad mine are but I assume where the spokes meet the wheels can get pretty bad.. here are some pics from some rusted eBay xr rims 
s-l400.jpg.1e9afe0fe9a2d43621b5999dc937e37f.jpg
s-l400-1.jpg.e753f5c0555db83e62312599c89d440a.jpg

Ah, rusted spokes. Now I'm on board. Lol.
  • Like 2

I've seen worse than that.

I'd call up Buchannon in California and get spokes and find out what rims will fit.

Maybe XR650L rims will fit.

• Like 3

Most of the older drum-braked XR/XL hubs, 250 - 500, have basically similar widths between the sprocket and other side wheel bearing.

The width of the brake backing plate can vary a lot between models, so with a bit of mixing and matching of original parts most older hubs can be interchanged.

Rims etc can be got from aliexpress for bugger-all $$........

• Like 1

Dude, get a new rim strip and put your tire back on. 

That rim is fine.  Of you decide to replace anything, replace the spoke heads..  Or dont.  Its not going to be a problem.

• Like 5

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Just to be clear the pics above are not my rims I was just showing the type of rust or rot it might have. I actually haven't seen my rims yet I'll pick them up on Tuesday when the shop opens and see what I'm really dealing with. I might be able to get it relaced at  Buchannon or something like Beezer suggested. 

1 hour ago, James Pittman said:

I have a set of complete wheels for 200

Are they off an 85-87?  where are you located? 

• Like 1

Those rims are aluminum, aren't they? Just the spoke nipples are rusty? Wire brush the spoke nipples on the inside of the rim slap the tire on and go ride the sucker.as long as the wheels are somewhat true who cares, it's a dirt bike. You going to abuse it anyway, bashing off trees and rocks and crashing into the dirt. Wait till they really need to be replaced before you dump all that money into it. Must be nice to be so rich you can spend $100 just to change a tire, that's just crazy to me. I'd do it for $50, but then you'd have to pay to ship it both ways so it would only cost you about $300 LOL.

• Like 1

Post up pics of the issue,, if its just rusty nipples just ride it.

If the ali rim has begun delaminating( corroding) its gotta be pretty bad before its worth panicking about.   

JM2CW...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Ah, rusted spokes. Now I'm on board. Lol.

What else could it have been  :facepalm:

• Like 1

I'd still run those rims - hit them with a stiff wire wheel - wd40 - rim tape

Just now, Backwoods-Bomber said:

I was attempting to ask if the op had a clue without being a dick.

Too late for that   :goofy:

• Like 1

Well I didn' have time to pick up my wheels till Friday since my work schedule was a little crazy. Good news is they didn' charge me any money. $100 For a tire change is a bit pricey but when it means the difference of riding or not on one of the few nice rideable winter days I'll pay a premium..

Looks like on top of the rusty spokes was a lot of delamination around the spokes and a few large chunks or rim were coming off while I was standing there.. I probably could wire brush it and get a tire on there but having a wheel come apart at speeds doesn't sound fun.. I ended up finding another wheel that looks clean with a brand new tire ready to go for about $150. So since the shop didn't charge me Im only out about another $50 and still have to change my front. I'll probably just use my tire spoons on the front:/ Hopefully the new rear gets here by Friday so I can it all back together next weekend and finally ride it..

I really appreciate everyone's input on this.. next up is a carb rebuild as it's starting to seep a bit..

20180204_110333.jpg

20180204_110355.jpg

20180204_110339.jpg

Edited by Midwestscrambler
  • Like 1