520 EXC keeps burning headlight

My 520exc keeps blowing out my headlight withe the time being anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 mins. I've also noticed that if I go over big bumps or do a wheelie it'll blow right on impact. I'm just using H3 bulbs from the auto store and have tried 3 different brands. Also something that could be related is my battery that doesn't charge well (could be a bad battery). I'm thinking it could be the stator but don't know what to test.

Measure voltage across your headlight terminals if its over 12-14 volts or jumps up in voltage when you rev the motor then the Regulator/Rectifier is toast

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, o313 said:

Measure voltage across your headlight terminals if its over 12-14 volts or jumps up in voltage when you rev the motor then the Regulator/Rectifier is toast

would that even matter as the current going to the headlight is A/C? I thought the current came straight from the stator. Regardless, it does read around 11/12v at idle and jumps to over 15 at higher rpms. 

8 hours ago, Max Bakerman said:

.... and jumps to over 15 at higher rpms. 

You should also check the health of your battery due to possible over-charging 

My old WR450 did the same thing....I replaced the voltage regulator/rectifier...problem solved.

3 minutes ago, travertt said:

My old WR450 did the same thing....I replaced the voltage regulator/rectifier...problem solved.

Just ordered one. Thanks people

• Like 1

This issue is usually the result of a "dirty" supply voltage. If your bulb has a bad earth (ground connection) it can cause it or - as people have previously mentioned - your rectifier is not supplying a good steady voltage.

Check the ground wire first.... it's cheaper than a rectifier ;)