Too much thread on spoke exposed?

So, I bought a 2004 kx250 with a black tusk rear rim and a spray painted stock front rim. I bought a front rim to match the back (black, Tusk, 21” for 2004 kx250 - works with OEM hub) and a tusk spoke kit (for a 2006 kx250). I asked Tusk (RMATV) why they didn’t have any for the 2004 and they said “it’s probably because we haven’t tested it on the 2004.”  I did some research and found that bulldog, Buchanan, etc all list the 21” front wheel spokes for all KX bikes identical from ‘89-present. Therefore, I bought the 2006 kit. 

I compared the spokes to my stock spokes and they were about 1/8” shorter, not a huge deal because the nipples were a little taller. We laced the wheel and noticed there was still about a quarter inch of thread showing on the spoke, although the spoke was about 1/4” into the threaded part of the nipple. 

This concerned me, so I called Buchanan and asked them for their specs on the spokes they sell for my bike (also confirmed all spokes for KX’s are the same). They told me they were 9” long total and 8.5” long from the start of the bend, and although the stock spokes were two ever so slightly different lengths (inner and outer), their spokes were the same length. They also informed me that their spokes would work with the tusk rim. Those dimensions were identical to the Tusk spokes I received. So now I’m thinking great, I have spokes that fit my bike, confirmed the dimensions with a reputable spoke manufacturer, and I have a rim that works with the oem hub. 

Well, today I trued the wheel and the spokes still have threads exposed. Is this safe? I’m not sure why this is happening. Will the spokes “stretch?” Will I be able to tighten a significant amount after I ride?

pic attached. 

 

80B06A0D-76E6-463D-BDD6-D8884345143E.jpeg

I wouldn't feel great about that but if you've got more thread in the nipple than is exposed I'd probably run it, see what happens.  Only thing I don't know is how far into the nipple the threads start.

10 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

I wouldn't feel great about that but if you've got more thread in the nipple than is exposed I'd probably run it, see what happens.  Only thing I don't know is how far into the nipple the threads start.

 

Yeah, I’m kind of at a loss to be honest. Not sure if you read the entire post, but it’s a tad over 1/4” into the threaded part of the nipple. I’m hoping they “stretch” a bit?

 

They won't stretch appreciably.  The wheel may settle after break in when you ride it but you probably won't get more than a thread or so further in on any of them.

See how you go i guess - you still have 6.5mm threaded

 

What was the stock depth of thread contact? What length of threads were on stock vs. Tusk?

 

I don't think they will stretch. 

 

Where are the spokes made?

 

Stock is 1.5 mm different for the 9. 27 are different.

 

Beyond all that, you have them laced in the same pattern?

 

 

 

 

27 minutes ago, KDXGarage said:

What was the stock depth of thread contact? What length of threads were on stock vs. Tusk?

 

I don't think they will stretch. 

 

Where are the spokes made?

 

Stock is 1.5 mm different for the 9. 27 are different.

 

Beyond all that, you have them laced in the same pattern?

 

 

 

 

1.5mm is only .05 inches, so I doubt that’s an issue. I guess that’s why spoke manufacturers just do them all the same length. I’ve also attached a picture of the stock spoke vs the aftermarket spoke, as well as how the wheel is laced. 

1FEF6E25-F386-4AB0-B27A-B99B4F0C2744.jpeg

178F12F6-32D5-47A0-847F-76F78B4C948A.jpeg

I guess that is as good as it is going to get with those spokes.

 

What country were they made in (COO)?

 

Thanks, and thanks for showing us Tusk spokes for our bikes of that age.

9 hours ago, KDXGarage said:

I guess that is as good as it is going to get with those spokes.

 

What country were they made in (COO)?

 

Thanks, and thanks for showing us Tusk spokes for our bikes of that age.

I’m not sure, I’d have to check the box. 

Im a little worried. Do you think my wheel will explode? Haha

No. I don't think it will explode. I am just curious.

 

Why did you replace the stock spokes with worse threaded / fitting ones?

7 minutes ago, KDXGarage said:

No. I don't think it will explode. I am just curious.

 

Why did you replace the stock spokes with worse threaded / fitting ones?

Because the previous owner took horrible care of the bike. Some of the spokes were seized and they were stretched so they would spin in the hub while you’re trying to tighten the nipples. I also broke one disassembling the wheel, so that’s the main reason. I wasn’t trying to cheap out, I had just always heard great things about tusk and I like their rims. 

Oh heck no. Time to replace them then.

 

It is amazing what some previous owners do bikes!

 

Just in case you might be interested in the future, Kawasaki sells the spokes and nipples individually. I know Yamaha does not. :lame::foul:

1 hour ago, KDXGarage said:

Oh heck no. Time to replace them then.

 

It is amazing what some previous owners do bikes!

 

Just in case you might be interested in the future, Kawasaki sells the spokes and nipples individually. I know Yamaha does not. :lame::foul:

I actually looked into getting them, but for all 36, it was outrageously expensive!

I was thinking ou could have used just a few. Yes, it is outrageous to buy a bunch from a dealer. I have bought them for old bikes on eBay over time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now