countershaft fix not proper torque

I have seen the countershaft nut torque should be 79 foot pounds. But didn't I see somewhere that is was over 100 pounds? Which is correct for a 2003 DRZ400S? Thanks

3 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Service manual says 110nm - 81ftlb

Discussed very recently, in this thread:

 

8 hours ago, dogeddie said:

I have seen the countershaft nut torque should be 79 foot pounds. But didn't I see somewhere that is was over 100 pounds? Which is correct for a 2003 DRZ400S? Thanks

It was researched and then suggested to go to 100ftlb many years ago. The manufacture updated the TQ spec just a few years ago to 105 ft lb
Anyone seeing something else has a doggy manual 

5a6dcba2ab6a2_5a692130e44e4_DRZNewTqspecs.jpg.b54e3e7d791d4370e6b43a42a920af591.jpg.1799b40e803668146614fd0fe5c5d780.jpg

Wow, that is a huge discrepancy! Thanks for the info. Gonna need a better torque wrench!

14 minutes ago, dogeddie said:

Wow, that is a huge discrepancy! Thanks for the info. Gonna need a better torque wrench!

Not a discrepancy.. just updated tech from the OEM...
That said, they changed the design of the counter shaft about the same time, so the updated TQ may be due to the new design shaft.

But in anycase, we have been suggesting 100ftlb with the old shaft type since about 2004 when member Noble did some testing to confirm the nut would fail long before the shaft wold at that 100 ftlb.
Using the old shaft, Id suggest not using an impact gun to remove a nut that has been thread locked without first warming up the nut to soften the thread lock

So if my bike is a 2003 you would still go 100#? You said "since about 2004"

9 minutes ago, dogeddie said:

So if my bike is a 2003 you would still go 100#? You said "since about 2004"

Yes I would and Do

thank you

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now