2017 BETA 500 HANDGUARDS THAT MOUNT TO THE LEVERS

I'm in the market for some new handguards for my 2017 beta 500,

Now, I would still be using the stock beta handguards except, My bike is now black!IMG_0239.jpg.1e823c1eb1d37fdffbdb4b632f155d47.jpgIMG_0219.jpg.7d659f8c634987a2c6f1c32994c006b3.jpgIMG_0231.jpg.5f5d1c541db8d30bfc4af61b68890786.jpgIMG_0246.jpg.f8df082fb2169e164a07e321ae638c31.jpg And so having red handguards would be an eyesore that I just couldn't be able to live with. Although I feel kind of exposed without any type of handguard on at all, I do not feel the need for the wraparound styles such as fastways or cycra pro-bends, nor do I want them at this point in time. maybe later if I start riding where theres actually alot of trees.

I also would like to get away from the style that mounts in a manner like the stockers or acerbis unikos, or powermadds. Instead I am shopping for the style that mounts to the clutch and brake lever perches like the really old acerbis flag style. 

I believe that the polisport qwest with the optional mount might work but I'm not sure what bikes they fit??? http://www.rpmmoto.com.au/Store/Hand-Guards/Pair-of-Polisport-Qwest-hand-guards.aspx

I also like these ktm/husky styles; 

https://www.ktm-parts.com/7770217900030.html 

https://www.ktm-parts.com/7810297900030.html

But, I'm not sure if they will fit my beta because of the nissin brakes and betas hydro clutch.

Anyways, do you guys have any other ideas for some open ended handguards that mount to the clutch and brake lever perches, or master cylinders? if all else fails unikos will probably go on, but those ktm handie dandie handguards would be sweet too.

IMG_0248.jpg

Edited by surfer-dude

11 hours ago, gaortiz said:
I know you don't want wrap arounds but Enduro engineering does make black wrap arounds that will look good on your bike. The bonus to the wrap arounds is that they're going to save your $40 levers from breaking if you dump it...

In my experience, on most small crashes, tip-overs, and dumps that i've had, a good flag style hand guard when properly set up acts like a skidplate, saving your fingers and levers from breaking in the dirt. They've also proven their worth against joshua trees and all the other stuff that ive hit and ranover these last 15 years or so since i started using this style handguard. I've had a couple of good high speed crashes during big 6 grand prix', and so Ive seen first hand, the flag style guards protecting me from the ground and other adversities that we encounter.

I've actually crashed in top gear and at near top speed still holding on to the clutch to keep it running. As we crashed, the handguard collapsed on my fingers untill it squeezed my hand between the ground, it, and the handlebar plus the weight of the bike. As we slid across the ground, the initial point of contact was spread so my fingers were saved, and I was sold on flag style handguards from that moment on. And so after we were done crashing, i was able to pick up the bike that was still running, and carry on about our business. It did hurt my fingerss a bit, but no damage was done except a little bit of road rash to me and my bike, maybe a torn glove which is also why I wear those knuckle buster style gloves usually. This was still much much better than not having any handguard at all, nor having a handguard made of aluminum that i'd probably have to worry about destroying. I have broken the acerbis flags but I was also playing really rough with  em'.  

Even recently, I was playing in some rocks and dropped my beta. It was a weird low speed off balance wipeout that caused me to tumble off away from the bike. The stock beta handgaurd collapsed, and pulled in the clutch lever preventing clutch lever breakage.  The dang bike actually kept herself running while leaning up against the rock that I had just tumbled over. I picked myself up from between the boulders and tried to walk it off a bit while she idled happily away, like what??? I'm pretty sure that if I had wraps it wouldn't of been just a grab the bike and ride off type of ordeal, they probably woulda gotten bent and i'd need to adjust them and such. I know guys that use wraparounds, so I've seen how the struggle can be, especially as they get worn in a bit.

But yeah Goritz, thanks for the thought, I appreciate it. Those EE's would probably look cool and save me from the hassle of torn grip ends and all, but i don't like the wraparound styles for the way that i ride. If I rode up in some real mountains, all the time, it would be a no brainer and a set of fastways would be on there. I like the fastway v2's the best mostly because of how they tie into the barclamp.

However, im mostly riding the beaches, the hood, the desert, or the local mountains here in Southern California where wraps are not really all that necessary, and i don't like having any unnecessary accessories that only add weight to my already big and beautiful dirty girl.

The only time I actually feel the need for wraps is when I'm city enduroing and need to fit between walls, and telephone poles, fences, and other urban obstacles. In these types of instances a little bit of slide would be cool, rather than rubber grip ends hitting walls and stucco and stuff. So maybe bar ends too??? :thinking:

Colors not a problem, I have a friend at embee plating in santa ana so getting a metal part coated or anodized isn't too bad at all. In fact, since Valentina's a keeper, I'm probably gonna tear my bike apart and have some things powdercoated (gold frame and other stuff black) to better suit my style and attitude. I just need to ride her a bit more and decided if I need that fastway linkage guard, and swiss cheesed aluminum bashplate or not. Im thinking a black & gold Beta 500 done like "The Bandit" would be sweet,

51XMGNVZ19L._SY445_.jpg.1282d11d3d8afbeb8fcfa306f7782e4c.jpg

with red shock spring and coolant hoses. I'm not gonna mess with the wheels, kick stuff, or foot controls though as the pegs and feet levers usually get scraped up pretty good. I'm cool with a bit of silver on her, and even if I did mess with those peices, the engine is still silver grey. I guess I could paint the engine gold too, but thats just a bit over the top and into the deep end of things. By george, when would it all stop. lol:banana:

The other weird thing is that I like the stock seat except for the annoying red beta stripe, mostly becuase of the wallet pocket, and the material of the cover. I dont think that it's uncomfortable. I know that theres stuff that is more comfortable, but I'm totally cool with how the stocker feels. I stand most of the time anyways unless I get hurt, but by then the seat is least of my worries. I know I might be different than most people, but I know what I like and don't like. And yes those are dice valvecaps.

IMG_0244.thumb.jpg.49006d2829e745434d561cdd46ca54a8.jpgIMG_0232.jpg.b1bde1d9397934269c00e035c536f62b.jpgIMG_0251.jpg.4d7d27e35dfa4166a031dcd1cece1bbe.jpg

So please let me reiterate with all honesty and respect; if I rode where the trees had stickmarks from other peoples handguards I'd run wraps. But I hardly ever see dense forests, and defintely not tight packed tree lines. so thats the bottom line.

Handguards are necessary, and i like the flag style for where and how I like to ride. And of all the flag styles, I like when they mount to the clutch and brake lever perches the best. so if anybody has any ideas to help me achieve my end goals, I'd appreciate it, much like I appreciate mr. gortiz's idea.

In the next few days, I want to do a dual sport escape ride into the santa ana's. My typical route is to drop off in silverado canyon, then up to santiago peak and beyond. For an easy ride like this, I dont think handguards are even necesarry cept to protect my hands from the cold harsh winter weather that we get here in southern california. Unfortunately we gonna be experienceing an extremely harsh 80 degree dual high pressure system the next few days, which generates off shore winds and makes surfing even more enjoyable in the sunny winter conditions. And The surfs supposed to be good, so we'll see if that ride actually takes place.

Acerbis unikos are easy, and I like that but they arent exactly what I want. This might be one of those compromises that need to be made. I think tomorow, I'll call about the husky guards to see if they work on my bike. Unless anyone has any other ideas for me.

thanks peeps...

IMG_0248.jpg.21edf9475e83df50f7b27466f93d71c8.jpg

Edited by surfer-dude

2 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Just get some black plastic spray paint and spray the Beta handguards black.  

As a Long beach native, and someone that also hangs out in compton with his cuzos that breed pitbulls, bulldogs and horses. shooting dice, playing dem' bonez, and all other types of ill-shiznit, I gotsta tell ya;

"Bruh, that's ghett"

Besides, they're on wifeys bike.

IMG_0365.jpg

Just got back from paintballing, mann...

When I was younger and manufacturers didnt make black plastics for some of my old bikes I would spray paint them. But I was much more ghetto then, than I am now. At least with the new beta I waited untill they came out with black plastics, but the thought did cross my mind as I waited patiently those couple of months for the new plastic kit to arrive.

I keep thinking about the black husky guards on my beta, so thats the route I'd like to go if they fit.

7770217900030.jpg.146d99511bf608fc4f80f2f3a7f56f30.jpg

The qwests are in second place.

P8304400002_2.jpg.461249b2a64b0856f8ba6950cdaf9b68.jpg

and if all else fails the unicos are in 3rd

acerbis_uniko_handguards_black.jpg.f46972aba15880da6b641f32f154236f.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg.21edf9475e83df50f7b27466f93d71c8.jpg.4ac0fc41e94e2cd1a82b2e5360ebd83d.jpg

Edited by surfer-dude

1 hour ago, THE KRAN said:

Once you break a finger from using a Flag type handguard, you will quickly re-consider.

Yeah mann, I hear you, but thats my experience with the flags. I know that I've got a lot to learn, and that's why I'm asking for some help here. It is always possible that my viewpoints on the matter could change at any time and I'll get some wraps. In fact I almost did, but first I wanna check out this style. If I break a finger or my hand because of the bike or handguards, lesson learnded:thinking: . It wouldn't be the first time, but at least it would be the first time on my bike. 

What do you think about those fastway v2's? yay or nay??? I'd like to get some good ones that I can work with, or is cheap and easily replaceable better?

I think mid cities has some black unicos, so i'm gonna go nab em. That way at least I can try them out, and have something untill something better gets worked out.

The surf's flat and the kids are in school, time to go ride santiago peak and enjoy the views.

Laters peoples

:cool:

They didnt have em. And I got a late start, but I made it to the peak for a sunset chill sesh at the highest spot in oc, then cruised down to the ie via Indian truck trail for a couple tacos and gas [emoji618]️ then headed south on main divide towards holy Jim and finally made it back to the van about 1130 or so. IMG_0376.thumb.jpg.47c9974b38a993a215b28125392675d5.jpg

IMG_0373.thumb.jpg.08cc0ab5239e121add4109a70dead8fb.jpgIMG_0368.thumb.jpg.ab7fe1bb3abdad6cf3240f773cdd0c9d.jpgIMG_0417.thumb.jpg.84de06d6176fba791d94dd6d0e383a7a.jpgIMG_0431.thumb.jpg.2e3c95959cdb8849c60b63eb490a27d7.jpgIMG_0424.thumb.jpg.f8a46422499f58992327a7bb7c189e1d.jpgIMG_0368.thumb.jpg.8529b693b6d6e2326cb98687138a2f57.jpg

I still need those hand guards doh

• Like 2

4 hours ago, surfer-dude said:

They didnt have em. And I got a late start, but I made it to the peak for a sunset chill sesh at the highest spot in oc, then cruised down to the ie via Indian truck trail for a couple tacos and gas emoji618.png️ then headed south on main divide towards holy Jim and finally made it back to the van about 1130 or so.

IMG_0417.thumb.jpg.84de06d6176fba791d94dd6d0e383a7a.jpg

Great pics!

Edited by MarantzManiac
  • Like 1

Another option for you.  There is a hand guard that uses the KTM/Husky mount.  SXS Slide Plates uses the same material as the company skid plates.

http://www.sxslideplate.com/product-category/handguards/

I am still a fan of of the cycra dip-style full wraps.  I am not a fan of full wraps that do not drop by the pinkie.   Makes my hands feel claustrophobic. :D

SXS hand guards-Kinkade.jpg

12968013_10209608748601813_261677220878026749_o.jpg

23847555_10213747109010466_5400987849894447431_o.jpg

Edited by RhinofromWA
changing pictures
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MarantzManiac said:

question about the backlit display

turn on> power button> joystick-left>scroll down to set> unit settings > display mode> inverted

I also printed up the voyager users manual. The quick menu info begins on p.27. however the pertinent info is on p.33. The backlit setting in the pic is on high, but I now set it to medium.

Edited by surfer-dude
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RhinofromWA said:

Another option for you.  There is a hand guard that uses the KTM/Husky mount.  SXS Slide Plates uses the same material as the company skid plates.

http://www.sxslideplate.com/product-category/handguards/

I am still a fan of of the cycra dip-style full wraps.  I am not a fan of full wraps that do not drop by the pinkie.   Makes my hands feel claustrophobic. :D

SXS hand guards-Kinkade.jpg

12968013_10209608748601813_261677220878026749_o.jpg

23847555_10213747109010466_5400987849894447431_o.jpg

Yeah thanks rhino, that might be the trick, kinda ugly but I bet theyr'e tuff.

Edited by surfer-dude
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 8:59 PM, surfer-dude said:

I'm in the market for some new handguards for my 2017 beta 500,

Now, I would still be using the stock beta handguards except, My bike is now black!IMG_0239.jpg.1e823c1eb1d37fdffbdb4b632f155d47.jpgIMG_0219.jpg.7d659f8c634987a2c6f1c32994c006b3.jpgIMG_0231.jpg.5f5d1c541db8d30bfc4af61b68890786.jpgIMG_0246.jpg.f8df082fb2169e164a07e321ae638c31.jpg And so having red handguards would be an eyesore that I just couldn't be able to live with. Although I feel kind of exposed without any type of handguard on at all, I do not feel the need for the wraparound styles such as fastways or cycra pro-bends, nor do I want them at this point in time. maybe later if I start riding where theres actually alot of trees.

I also would like to get away from the style that mounts in a manner like the stockers or acerbis unikos, or powermadds. Instead I am shopping for the style that mounts to the clutch and brake lever perches like the really old acerbis flag style. 

I believe that the polisport qwest with the optional mount might work but I'm not sure what bikes they fit??? http://www.rpmmoto.com.au/Store/Hand-Guards/Pair-of-Polisport-Qwest-hand-guards.aspx

I also like these ktm/husky styles; 

https://www.ktm-parts.com/7810297900030.html

But, I'm not sure if they will fit my beta because of the nissin brakes and betas hydro clutch.

Anyways, do you guys have any other ideas for some open ended handguards that mount to the clutch and brake lever perches, or master cylinders? if all else fails unikos will probably go on, but those ktm handie dandie handguards would be sweet too.

IMG_0248.jpg

Im thinking maybe you could try looking at some supermotard races to see what guys are using on a variety of bikes there to see styles looks and what brands are available. .. You’re on the road alot. That might give you an idea of what to pick.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Im thinking maybe you could try looking at some supermotard races to see what guys are using on a variety of bikes there to see styles looks and what brands are available. .. You’re on the road alot. That might give you an idea of what to pick.

yeah, that's a good idea. and I've been checking online for pics and ideas. so far I'm liking those husky's and even the sxs burly's the best for open end hand guards. if anyones interested in the polisport qwests decal works is selling them for about 15-16 dollas'. 

I just called the aomc people and they told me that these blk ktm/husq xc handguards wont fit. to me it looks like they will but I'm not sure.

Do any of you more knowledgable guys out there think they are compatible with my 2017 beta 500? 

thanks guys!

IMG_0368.jpg.72617117efb6d1d91e38b2e58f395ef2.jpg

Edited by surfer-dude

39 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

This link had a pretty sweet video at the bottom of it. 

Finally just had to say FORGETABOUTIT and I ordered those polisports from decalworks. 

Those dont come in lever mount either, oh well...

heres the link

https://www.decalmx.com/pages/product/product.php?productID=1242&dmxsource=image

19 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

You could get a Beta fitting mount  and just change the plastics .. or go with graphics covering the plastics..

The beta mounts are cool, but what other plastics fit??? These polisports probly fit.?

Yeah, definitely no graphics, I might slip a no fat chicks sticker here or there but thats about it.

• Like 1

The polisports look nice. Should look good! Im a wrap around handguard guy but Hey it’s what you like and I bet they would look cool on your bike. I like how the ducati type italian cool looks as far as design like on supermoto bikes.  My friend just bought

7 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I bought a set of G2 flag handguards.  I liked that the mounts were just like the Beta ones and that they were made of aluminum.  

All i wanted was protection from the cold wind on the snowbike.  

P1130318.JPG

P1130348.JPG

P1130326.JPG

Looks good but wouldnt a bigger one with more warm padding work better? Im a Hawaii guy . That still looks too cold.. Even some moose racing foam mud guards added to that might help too. That looks super cool!! Awesome bike!