Which bike would YOU pick?

I'm currently shopping the dirt bike world, looking to get back into it. Right now I'm a 4 wheeled rider on a Can-Am Outlander 800. Two years ago I had a 2006 YZ450F which was completely stupid for the riding I do. Clutch pull was way too heavy and the bike felt way too heavy. It felt too much like work, and not fun. I ride ATV and SXS trails, no single track or MX tracks.

Skill level: amateur, weekend warrior!

Size: 6' and 185lbs

Here are the bikes I'm debating (all new):

2016 Yamaha WR450F - $8000

2016 Husqvarna TE 300 - $9000

2017 Beta 300RR - $9500

2018 Husqvarna TE 300 - $10,700

2018 KTM 300 XC-W - $10,600 (I think)

(price can obviously change once I start wheeling and dealing)

Price will play a big factor for me, I'm a little cheap. What bike would you go for in my situation?

Why not a yz250x?  It's way cheaper than anything you listed. 

Why not a yz250x?  It's way cheaper than anything you listed. 

Where I ride, on crown land, it's a requirement to have: headlight, taillight and a spark arrestor.

What kind of riding will you be doing?

Rocky, muddy, creek/river crossing, cut-lines, well worn ATV trails...very enduro type of riding. I'll never hit a track. I usually go to the Rocky mountains in Alberta. 6hr trips are common

I would say any of the 300 2 strokes would be fine, but I am a four stroke guy. If I had to choose, I would go with the beta. I have a Italian husky, so I'm a bit parcel of the beta. If I did buy a 2 stroke, that's what I would get if in your situation. There will be others that will reply that have more to ad. Sit on the bikes and see what feels good.  Also go to the different theards for each model  your looking at on this site. It might help you decide.

I've gone and checked out all of them but the Beta. I'll be at the dealership Wednesday to have a peek. I must say, the 2018 Husky was one sexy beast!

Pretty sure I've been glued to the forums for the past few weeks, and all bikes seem great. Not to mention watching all of the videos on YouTube.

This is so difficult :D

Checked out the Beta today and I've come to some conclusions...

The WR450F is TOO HEAVY! It's quite noticeable even moving it upright from it leaning on the kickstand. I'm sure it's a great bike, but not for what I get into.

My list is down to 3, so it's getting easier to decide!

#1 is the Husky
#2 is the KTM
#3 is the Beta

Not gonna jump into this just yet, there's still 2 feet of snow on the ground!

You are still looking at too much bike. Look at the 250's. All the machines you've listed are race bikes and require real regular servicing and will require effort to ride.

You are still looking at too much bike. Look at the 250's. All the machines you've listed are race bikes and require real regular servicing and will require effort to ride.

250's aren't on my list for a reason. These are Enduro bikes, not MX bikes. Sure you could race them, but they are designed to be beasts on the trails too.
6 minutes ago, Derek82 said:

250's aren't on my list for a reason. These are Enduro bikes, not MX bikes. Sure you could race them, but they are designed to be beasts on the trails too.

Plenty of 250 woods bikes out there.

How many trail hours did you get on that 2006 YZ450F?  I am a big 4 stroke fan, even if it's a little heavier.  If you rode trails on the YZ450, you can handle those 300s fine, you just may enjoy 4 stroke more. I was thinking that Husky 350 may be good for you, but then I remembered it doesn't have a kickstater and I wouldn't recommend e-start only to a dirt biker.

How many trail hours did you get on that 2006 YZ450F?  I am a big 4 stroke fan, even if it's a little heavier.  If you rode trails on the YZ450, you can handle those 300s fine, you just may enjoy 4 stroke more. I was thinking that Husky 350 may be good for you, but then I remembered it doesn't have a kickstater and I wouldn't recommend e-start only to a dirt biker.

I'm not completely against 4t for the woods, but I really like the 25-30lb less weight in the 2t. Makes a big difference when you're 6hrs into the woods!

My concerns are: weight, clutch pull ease, seat comfort and fuel range.

The KTM 350 crossed my mind a fair bit.

My KLX450R all modded and armored is 273lbs.

Feels light to me, and our rides are all day long on technical trails with lots of logs, hill climbs, creeks, and ravines. To give an idea of how tight our trails are, we do a 22 mile loop and average speed is 13mph. There is only 3 places in that loop I get into 3rd gear. A couple guys in our group have ktm 300xcw one has the beta 300rr one just got that husky 350 with no kick I was talking about.

We all get along fine on our chosen weapons. (except the cold winter morning that 350 wouldn't start, plus he has a Rekluse in it so we couldn't bump start it.)

either of the 300 2t. but I would choose the husky over all the list.

On 1/31/2018 at 11:54 AM, Derek82 said:

Checked out the Beta today and I've come to some conclusions...

The WR450F is TOO HEAVY! It's quite noticeable even moving it upright from it leaning on the kickstand. I'm sure it's a great bike, but not for what I get into.

My list is down to 3, so it's getting easier to decide!

#1 is the Husky
#2 is the KTM
#3 is the Beta

Not gonna jump into this just yet, there's still 2 feet of snow on the ground!

The 2018 Beta 250RR is $7,999 new in the USA so that's a bit of a price drop. 2018 dropped 10 pounds since 2017, comes with a 6 month warranty, has tons of torque (motor characteristic is not very different from the 300RR), and is a great buy. If buying new then I'd get the 250RR.