stripped nut in frame

So, I have a stripped nut in the frame. this is the furthest back attachment point for skidplate. It is a nut that is welded into a plate in the frame. What is the best way to go about repairing or fixing it?

This guy20180128_000415.jpg

Drill and tap for the next size up. 

not going to do that....

that is not the answer for me, call it OCD or whatever

6 minutes ago, 74jimbo said:

not going to do that....

that is not the answer for me, call it OCD or whatever

Then remove the nut. Find a new m6 nut and weld it in place. 

the frame is steel I assume? looks like the nut is tacked in there?

I wonder if this is something I could helicoil?

Edited by 74jimbo

Heli-coil

what about a time sert? or is this not that critical?

I swear, I overthink things...

I should just toss a m8 in it, lol, like keddy said

what is the thread pitch of the stock? also, what thread pitch should I go with if I run an m8? Is there enough material to run an m8? or should I go with a SAE bolt? like if there is a size between the m6 and an m8

You have three choices, listed below in order of effort.

1. Drill and tap to M8, use M8 bolt.

2. Drill and tap then helicoil back to M6.

3. Grind nut off and have new one welded back on.

Any other suggestions are redundant.

PS if you are thinking of doing option 3, or looking for more options then I think counselling maybe be more important at this stage.:rolleyes::thumbsup:

you sure live up to your namesake.. let me quess, you got your psychology degree from web m.d.

Glad you know me and how/what I think.. from the internet :rofl:

wow... it was meant as a joke.

I see that was a mistake... I often feel like I am friends with people on here but I guess you can't be friends with everyone.

Have fun fixing it, I'll leave you alone from now on.

Edited by DrzDick

I have never had any interaction with you that I recall. It is an online forum, but there are people here that I would consider friends, and some I wouldn't. I have had conversation with someone though, before forming my opinion on them.

I am the way I am. My life's experiences is what made me that way. Some people like me, some don't. Oh well.

I am probably just going to drill and tap, or helicoil, if I can figure out what the thread pitch is supposed to be, or what size would be appropriate for the larger. Like if 8mm x 1.25 is the common, or 1.0 or 1.5, etc

5 hours ago, 74jimbo said:

So, I have a stripped nut in the frame. this is the furthest back attachment point for skidplate. It is a nut that is welded into a plate in the frame. What is the best way to go about repairing or fixing it?

Repair depends on what you have available.
You can try to drill and tap for an M6 thread repair coil or bushing, but those kind of welded nuts often break free when you try that...

If you have the abilities, Id remove the old and weld on a new nut, pot paint is and move on

Another option would be to fill the hole in the existing nut with weld, then drill and tap the original size.

19 minutes ago, BrianMc said:

Another option would be to fill the hole in the existing nut with weld, then drill and tap the original size.

Same issue as above, the nut will likely spin free when drilling and tapping..Of course since the welder is out, you could add some weld to the nut to frame while your there...LOL

But really thats a lot of additional work I think..... vs twisting the OEM one off with some pliers or grinding it off and just welding a new nut on..

If your that OCD just buy a new bike.  It’s never going to be the same now with a stripped out nut.  Haha.  Meant to be funny.  Don’t get all offened on me like you did the other guy.  

Edited by lacofdfireman

Helicoil is not a great option because of the depth being so shallow.

Either increase to the next size (might break free when tapping) or cut it off and weld on a new one.

Or cut it off and use a loose nut (janky).

Note that nut is not welded on but is installed with a spot weld type machine that presses down and melts 4 protrusions on the corners into the mating part.  So even replacing it will not "look stock".

Can't believe this thread is still going. The reasonable solutions were already covered a few times...

Edited by mbrick
10 hours ago, DrzDick said:

You have three choices, listed below in order of effort.

1. Drill and tap to M8, use M8 bolt.

2. Drill and tap then helicoil back to M6.

3. Grind nut off and have new one welded back on.

Any other suggestions are redundant.

PS if you are thinking of doing option 3, or looking for more options then I think counselling maybe be more important at this stage.:rolleyes::thumbsup:

Bingo!

Drill one size bigger, use an m6 bolt and add a lock nut at the end.

13 hours ago, 74jimbo said:

I'd drill and tap it. That's the most easily done, cost effective, and fastest way to getter done and be back in the woods instead of playing games with it. But, that's just me, and i like to keep it simple instead of over thinking things. Other ppls opinions will vary I'm sure.