Husqvarna TXC 250 EFI 2010 running badly

Hi Guys, so i have had this Husky for about 4 months now, it's quite a nice bike, though it's a little low on torque at low revs, especially given i weigh 98kg.

But I can't seem to get it to run nicely, and I have no Husky dealers anywhere near me available to help.

as best i can tell there are only two adjustments that can be made, The main throttle body butterfly end stop, this obviously adjusts how much the butterfly can close when you release the throttle, and the star headed screw on the side of the throttle body, (seems to be a Air screw) 

I've fiddled endlessly with these two trying to get the bike to run and start better, but i just can't find a sweet spot. 

according to the work shop manual, the screw is for setting the idle, (which is supposed to be 1950rpm, no idea how to set that without a rev counter, can just guess i suppose)

If the screw sets the idle, then where should the butterfly be? completely closed? 

In that case what sets the richness? is it all done by mapping? 

My Current problems are:

The bike struggles to start cold, i Have to hold the throttle wide open and use a carefully timed combo of starter and kicker.

When it finally starts, it splutters and runs badly for 3 or 4 minutes until its warm, then it seems to be okay and it idles alright.

Once it gets very hot and the fan is kicking in, it splutters again and wants to die at low and medium revs, which means i have to keep it revving and tackle every obstacle at an uncomfortably high speed. once it's had a chance to cool a bit it runs better again but still not perfectly. 

I have a brand new iridium plug in it, and the plug looks neither burnt nor carboned up. 

The fuel pump is priming and whizzing away in the background, all contacts clean and servicing done, the bike is generally in good condition, it just runs badly.

I live 650m above sea level, in a fairly hot climate, and our fuel here is 98 octane unleaded.

As i previously rode carb model two strokes, I have no experience with this, it's nothing like old fashioned jetting.

any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards, Daniel.

Check on cafe husky.

16 hours ago, Nandosguy said:

Hi Guys, so i have had this Husky for about 4 months now, it's quite a nice bike, though it's a little low on torque at low revs, especially given i weigh 98kg.

But I can't seem to get it to run nicely, and I have no Husky dealers anywhere near me available to help.

as best i can tell there are only two adjustments that can be made, The main throttle body butterfly end stop, this obviously adjusts how much the butterfly can close when you release the throttle, and the star headed screw on the side of the throttle body, (seems to be a Air screw) 

I've fiddled endlessly with these two trying to get the bike to run and start better, but i just can't find a sweet spot. 

according to the work shop manual, the screw is for setting the idle, (which is supposed to be 1950rpm, no idea how to set that without a rev counter, can just guess i suppose)

If the screw sets the idle, then where should the butterfly be? completely closed? 

In that case what sets the richness? is it all done by mapping? 

My Current problems are:

The bike struggles to start cold, i Have to hold the throttle wide open and use a carefully timed combo of starter and kicker.

When it finally starts, it splutters and runs badly for 3 or 4 minutes until its warm, then it seems to be okay and it idles alright.

Once it gets very hot and the fan is kicking in, it splutters again and wants to die at low and medium revs, which means i have to keep it revving and tackle every obstacle at an uncomfortably high speed. once it's had a chance to cool a bit it runs better again but still not perfectly. 

I have a brand new iridium plug in it, and the plug looks neither burnt nor carboned up. 

The fuel pump is priming and whizzing away in the background, all contacts clean and servicing done, the bike is generally in good condition, it just runs badly.

I live 650m above sea level, in a fairly hot climate, and our fuel here is 98 octane unleaded.

As i previously rode carb model two strokes, I have no experience with this, it's nothing like old fashioned jetting.

any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards, Daniel.

Unless you have been diligently cleaning the fuel pump filter, the filter is probably clogged, and the pump has been scored from running dry. When that happens, as soon as the  pump gets hot it drops pressure. You  can test the pump off the bike with water for ten minutes.

The other issue to test is the nozzle. if you have trouble starting it, the pump pressue might be low, as mentioned ,but usually that only shows up hot. If the nozzle has never been cleaned , or you run un-treated fuel, the nozzle will be partially corroded, creating a bad spray pulse. 

You should also check the stator harness for corrosion, and if that is ok, do a stator test per the service manual.