Seat repair

My upholstery has a tear in it at the seam. Is there a way to repair this? I was thinking maybe I could get one if those vinyl repair kits, remove the seat cover, use the kit, and then re-staple it?

I have read you need #1 staples? What staple gun?

Is it a lost cause? What about the seat gripper things for $39 I see on eBay?20180128_000232.jpg20180128_000238.jpg

7 hours ago, 74jimbo said:

My upholstery has a tear in it at the seam. Is there a way to repair this? I was thinking maybe I could get one if those vinyl repair kits, remove the seat cover, use the kit, and then re-staple it?

I have read you need #1 staples? What staple gun?

Is it a lost cause? What about the seat gripper things for $39 I see on eBay?20180128_000232.jpg

I use a cheep air stapler from,,,,,,yup HF, and use an air pressure regulator to adjust power to where I need it for the seat base Im working on. Likely a quality stapler from Stanley or something in the "Heavy Duty" range will work as well. 

Use  Arrow Fastener,  T50 1/4 in. Leg x 3/8 in. Crown Galvanized Steel Staples most times ...
You can get new covers all over the Internet and recovering is pretty simple .. You could also step up the seat game and get a nice cover and new foam from https://seat-concepts.myshopify.com/collections/suzuki  They make nice stuff, fast service and quality....

That's not going to be an easy repair as the area is subject to loading and shear forces.  I would get some sort of seat cover to try... I've heard Seat Concepts is what the TT`ers have been using with good luck.  I don't have any knowledge about Ebay seat covers... maybe somebody else does.  When I needed to repair my seat I didn't want to mess around... I shipped it to Renazco Racing and it`s rugged and durable, made out of all suede leather, and custom fit to me !!!

I've recovered many seats, it's not that hard. Find a decent looking cover on the web, invest 30 bucks in an electric heavy duty stapler that works with arrow t50 staples and have at it. You may screw up a couple of staples in the process but their all underneath so it's no biggie to pull one out and try again if you end up with a wrinkle or bulge.

Get an Enjoy or Motoseat, it's well worth it! Stock cover is slippery.

2 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Get an Enjoy or Motoseat, it's well worth it! Stock cover is slippery.

I prefer a slippery seat so I can slide back and forth when I'm doing technical woods riding

I had a similar tear in my stock seat.  Dr. Vinyl repaired it for $30.00.  That was 7 years ago, still holding fine.