Yz125 woods weapon

I’m want to build a super light woods bike, thinking yz125. Found one I can get for 600ish with a “blown top end”. When asked if the bike has any other issues seller says “I don’t know”.

I’m thinking for another couple hundred bucks I can get a new top end kit, new plastics and a pipe guard and I’m in business, but what if the bike has other problems? Should I just get a more expensive complete bike? Thoughts please

What year? $600 is a good deal depending on the year. You may have to dump up to $1500 to get it perfect, but then you have a perfect and mechanically sound bike for less than $2500.

What year? $600 is a good deal depending on the year. You may have to dump up to $1500 to get it perfect, but then you have a perfect and mechanically sound bike for less than $2500.

It’s a 2004. That’s kinda what I’m thinking tooIMG_4922.jpgIMG_4923.jpg

23 minutes ago, Randy_Lahey7.62 said:

It’s a 2004. That’s kinda what I’m thinking tooIMG_4922.jpgIMG_4923.jpg

That’s not a bad price. Get the VIN and doublecheck the year. The bike looks like it hasn’t been cleaned or maintained very well, so as long as the bottom end is good, plan on doing a top end, probably a carb rebuild, as well as replacing all chassis bearings and servicing the forks and shock with oil and new seals.

• Like 1

Why bother with the plastics? Doesnt do anything.
If that were around my area, it would be gone already OR someone would be asking $1500 for it.
I say go for it and put the money where it matters. Just strip the bike down and do all the necessary stuff.

• Like 1

I have two yz 125s that I use for woods.  I prefer the steel frame model over the aluminum, so I would jump on that bike, even if it only gets used for parts.

There are lots of threads here on turning a yz 125 into a woods weapon, and I have written my findings in a lot of them.  Just do a search.  But the short story for me is leave the motor stock, add a tooth to the rear sprocket on pre-05 bikes, add protection appropriate for your area (hand guards, others as needed), and budget for a full off road revalve by a competent suspension tuner.  If you do this you will have the funnest woods bike around!

• Like 3

I have two yz 125s that I use for woods.  I prefer the steel frame model over the aluminum, so I would jump on that bike, even if it only gets used for parts.
There are lots of threads here on turning a yz 125 into a woods weapon, and I have written my findings in a lot of them.  Just do a search.  But the short story for me is leave the motor stock, add a tooth to the rear sprocket on pre-05 bikes, add protection appropriate for your area (hand guards, others as needed), and budget for a full off road revalve by a competent suspension tuner.  If you do this you will have the funnest woods bike around!

Thanks, this helps. I’m still kinda new to bikes, but I think I can YouTube a half decent rebuild.
  • Like 1

do it but you probably will spend $300-500 in non-top end stuff that needs replacing. i spent about $500 getting an '03 125 going recently. brakes, bearings, chain, handlebars, brake lines, missing oem bolts, mud flap, etc. cool bike though and fun to squirt around on.

• Like 1

I bought a roached 125 a few years ago for $500, put another $1000 or do into it (top end, jug, misc parts) and had a phenominal little woods bike.  If he's asking $600, he'll probably take 400, do a FULL rebuild (at least assess everything) and let 'er rip!

Seriously, I'm starting to think about looking for another one exactly like that to build...

• Like 3