What age ?

How old were your kids when they got their first bike? What bike? Training wheels? My grandson just turned 4. Athletic and picks stuff up quick but I don' want to scare him or push him too hard. 

I was 6-7 

I had my godson on a pocket bike when he was 4, the same day we took his training wells off his bicycle. The pocket bike was sitting high on hooks in the garage and I told him he could ride it when he could ride a two wheeler.

I got a PW50 with training wheels when my son was 3. He didnt really start taking to it until he was 5 though.

My my twin bother and I were 5yrs old and Christmas morning we didn’t have many presents under the tree and we were bummed but then our dad and grandfather told us to go down the hall to another room and there sat 2 brand new Honda z50s. GREATEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER!!! We though we were the coolest kids in kindergarden because we were the only kids to have bikes

My my twin bother and I were 5yrs old and Christmas morning we didn’t have many presents under the tree and we were bummed but then our dad and grandfather told us to go down the hall to another room and there sat 2 brand new Honda z50s. GREATEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER!!! We though we were the coolest kids in kindergarden because we were the only kids to have bikes

Oh yea and no training wheels
48 minutes ago, XRalways said:

I got a PW50 with training wheels when my son was 3. He didnt really start taking to it until he was 5 though.

Same here pretty much.  Got him a pw at 5, barely rode it until he was almost 7, lucky for me he was a small kid.  

I never pushed him to ride, just let him do it when he wanted.  By the time he was 8 he was really hooked.  Now we ride every weekend that weather permits. 

My Daughter has had a strider since she was 18 moths old. She started to really pickup on the balance and let it coast at about 3. At 3 and a half years old I bought her an electric Razor MX350 dirt bike and installed a variable speed throttle and a childs mt bike brake lever and lighter rear brake spring. She was unable to put the balance skills toward her dirt bike at first so I put training wheels on it for 2 months. One day I saw her coast her strider down a long hill and asked her if she wanted to take the training wheels off her dirt bike. Timidly, she agreed and I took her to a football field just a few days after her 4th Birthday. Something clicked and she was off. We spent a couple days a week on that football field learning balance, throttle control, cornering and braking. The Razor was an excellent and cheap learning tool, but as she improved she quickly outgrew it due to no suspension and limited range.

When she was about 8 months old a buddy of mine gave me a hand-me-down PW50. I let the neighbor kids thrash it until a few months ago I repossessed it. I made it her christmas present, complete with custom graphics, new tires/tubes, new forks, new carb, new cylinder/piston/head, New plastics, powder coated wheels, new throttle cable and pink grips. She's 4 and a half now and luckily we live in a pretty rural place and the weather has been mild this winter so I get her out on a 3-4 mile ride a few times per week and she's improving more and more each time.

By far the most rewarding dirt bike experience of my life!

IMG_2833 3.JPG

IMG_3810 4.JPG

IMG_8008 3.JPG

IMG_8547 3.PNG

IMG_2761 3.JPG

IMG_8869 3.JPG

IMG_8002 3.JPG

Edited by kyleanegus

My boy started at 5 on an XR50 with training wheels. Took them off after a few months. He's 11 now and still having fun!

I started my 3 children in the 4-7 age range on Suzuki PW50s because the engines came detuned with removable  restrictors in the intake and exhaust. As their skill improved I began removing and/or modifying the restrictors. Finally I removed the shifting blocker so the bikes had a second gear for more speed. No training wheels because the two oldest knew how to ride bicycles. The youngest learned to ride before learning a bicycle and it was funny watching him learn to shift his weight while pedaling a bicycle.

Both my boys were riding two wheel bicycles, no training wheels, by four and they both learned to ride the same PW50 by five also no training wheels, my daughter was riding the PW50 by four. They’ve all moved up to full size bikes now and there is nothing I love more than track or trail days with my kids. Still have the PW50 in case my grandkids want to learn some day.

About 20 years ago we had a neighbor who was a dirt biker.  He used to bring his 4 year old through the cul-de-sac on his bicycle with training wheels. The kid couldn’t ride very well and would even fall over (with the training wheels)! The kid also couldn’t express himself at that age and when he fell over he’d start crying and wouldn’t even try to pull himself up. The dad bought the kid a 50, I believe it was a JR Suzuki or PW Yamaha, and the put the kid on it. What a disaster.  We moved away and I don’t know what ever happened to junior but it caused me to evaluate what I did with my son who was a few years younger. My wife and I decided that he needed to be proficient at riding a bicycle, good at communicating, and not so daring that we’d have to constantly be trying to settle him down. We figured 8 was the target. Well he exceeded our expectations and he received his first bike at 7. Although he could have started earlier it ended up working out and he had a pretty good run in the local MX scene.

I believe each kid has to be treated differently based on their skills & abilities. I know a few parents who pushed their kids hard quite early to be the next superstar and the kids either hated riding, hated their parents, or both. Some of those kids were real jackasses at a young age too because the parents spoiled them so badly. On top of that the parents went broke trying to cover costs for things they couldn’t afford. All things to consider.

Edited by Dklassen

I got my son his first bike for his 7th birthday. Honda XR50. It was perfect for him and all was good until I used a shovel to build him a small dirt ramp. He right away lost control. Centered a tree and bent the forks. Oh well, that's dirt biking. I guess I was secretly as excited that I could now justify getting a better, more reliable bike for myself so I could take him on trail rides. That was 14 years ago and we are both still at it. Great father/son time.

My boy was 4 1/2 when he got his XR50.   He had already been riding a bike for about a year without training wheels.  He still loves riding it today at 12 even though he has much larger bikes.   It's a wheelie king.

If I could do it again, I would prolly get him a little 50cc trials bike first.    

IMG_1724.JPG

Edited by Tony Willingham

I required both my sons to be proficient on a bicycle before they could ride, and it worked out well.  After that, they learned on a Honda MR50 that had a clutch and 3-speed transmission.  

These days though, there's something better.  Get him a Strider bike....just frame & wheels, no pedals or anything.  They just push along with their feet and it is amazing how fast they learn to balance and turn.  The step to a bicycle is easy from there, but not really necessary......just go straight to a little 50cc bike.  They will have to learn about brakes as well as throttle, but both are reasonably easy.  

Both my grandkids learned how to ride a strider in a week and were really good on it after 2 weeks.  If you hunt around the bicycles shops that sell them, they usually have some lightly used ones.  Some dealers even have a buy-back program for the striders because they have so little wear on them.  

Good luck....

Photo0103.thumb.jpg.a4e64f0a546275e66e9808f3e8d1f396.jpgMy boy started at 7 on a pw80 7 years ago & his bikes have been polini 110 kx85sw crf100 crf150rb crf250r & we now share a yz250 & kxf450 . Happy days 

IMG_0302.jpg
IMG_0381.jpg
IMG_0569.jpg
I totem the pw50 when he was two and tied a rope to the rear with training wheels on. He was riding his bike with no training wheels at 3 and his pw too. The crash pic was from him trying to jump it and obviously the suspension on the pw isn’t good. So I got him a xr 50 for better suspension but had to shave the seat foam to lower seat height.

IMG_0683.jpg

I raised 5 kids who all could ride a motorcycle proficiently by the time they were 8. All were started on tricycles and then bicycles. I don't remember any training wheels. Not really needed. With the right sized bicycle, the urge to learn and good big lawn they will have a sense of balance by the end of the afternoon. A big thing is not pushing them before they are ready (especially just for your bragging rights).

34271_443727835802_3875582_n.jpg?oh=48bd

The bicycle is critical in teaching balance and what happens when you fall. It teaches the consequences of too much speed. Every year there are kids killed and paralyzed in quad accidents here because they over drove their capabilities. Bicycles and 2 wheeled motorcycles teach that stupid hurts, fast! And hopefully without a spinal injury. 

Now I gotta thank my wife. I wanted to get my oldest a PW50 when she was 6, but my wife said: "If she is gonna be doing laps around the lawn, she's gonna be cutting grass while she's doing it!" GENIUS! A small ride-on-mower taught her mechanical aptitude and steering proficiency in a very controlled environment. All my kids learned to drive on the ride-on-mower. And the grass got cut. 

10399203_29548160802_7021_n.jpg?oh=2e1b9

As they got near 8, they screamed for a motorcycle. We didn't buy new and they had to be part of maintenance and repair. There is a fine line between an unreliable bike that frustrates and a simple but reliable bike that teaches. In time, they out grow everything: 

10399203_29547045802_3028_n.jpg?oh=1f5cc

I don't recommend the riding without a helmet. It was time for a larger bike. Part time jobs and pay for chores bought a 10yr old YZ125.

10399203_29547040802_1987_n.jpg?oh=76d4f

Soon, his skills exceeded mine:

10399203_29547070802_4691_n.jpg?oh=89deb

And biking became a passion for at least one of my daughters as well:

full?d=1486743988

Now I am working on yet another generation: 

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=150568741

My daughter rides a pw50 and she is 4. Each of my kids were different. Don't force them,  most kids will jump right on. 

At age 3. Pw50 with training wheels but only until they learned throttle control which was about two rides and the training wheels came off. My rule was he had to ride a bike without training wheels and both my boys where racing bmx at the age of 3. IMG_1851.thumb.jpg.351d898dc2fb0fa08b3a630b25f3d81f.jpg