valve clearance is getting bigger

I have a 2006 with a A.P.E head with a 140hrs.When I checked my valve clearance, my exhaust went to .014 left and right and my left intake  went to .009 and right stayed at .006... the last time I checked the clearance was @ 117hrs and every thing was perfect. When I tear this down to replace the piston and rings, what should I focus on what the cause of  the clearance getting bigger...I do not ride this bike hard I trail ride and have fun, I change oil @ every 10hrs max and over clean my air box. Also do you guys think I should refresh the head if my cam,rocker arm are in specs???? thx for any input

You should bounce those valves against the seats and try measuring again. Also check to see if they seal properly when closed. I’d suspect they don’t. Something is wrong.

Common failure is the intake valves, most likely the right intake. When the clearance goes to zero the engine becomes difficult to start because of valve leakage. I got a whole summer out of mine by reshimming a few times.

clearance getting LARGER would maybe be indicative of carbon build up on the valves/seats. You'll know when you get the head off. remove the valves and have a look at the seats. 

• Like 2

clearance getting LARGER would maybe be indicative of carbon build up on the valves/seats. You'll know when you get the head off. remove the valves and have a look at the seats. 

A leak down test will also confirm this without having to tear things apart. Good luck!