250 vs 450 lap times...

I’m not a super savvy SX guy, and don’t ride moto myself (just woods and mountain riding), but I do find it interesting that some of the fast guys on the 250s are putting up almost the same lap times as the 450s. Plessinger they noted last night was putting up a 57 flat at times. Anderson for example was hovering around a 56.5. From a noob perspective I would of expected bigger gaps between the two size bikes. For you seasoned moto guys, break it down for me.

Lighter bikes stop faster, less hp allows you to keep on the gas longer and less motor  inertia lets you do everything quicker.  

Lighter bikes stop faster, less hp allows you to keep on the gas longer and less motor  inertia lets you do everything quicker.  

So you are saying, with a given rider he'd go faster on a 250? I don't think so.

I don't recall the lap times being that close back in the 2stroke days of SX, but I could be wrong

5 minutes ago, TheSnide said:

That was a great article. On to YouTube to look for more

This is narrated by David Bailey. It's an awesome look at it.

One of those days I just couldn’t seem to make any mistakes. Great video.

So you are saying, with a given rider he'd go faster on a 250? I don't think so.

Except the obvious that a 450 has more power. In a few situations a 125 could be fastest.

All you need is enough horsepower,  any more than that just gets in the way of handling. 

1 hour ago, MrN2OBelvedere said:

100% true, look at lap times ever since the 4 stroke movement, the fast 250 guys have always been as fast as the 450 guys time wise. 

Back in the 2 stroke days the guys like RC and Stewart were faster then the 250 guys. 

6 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

All you need is enough horsepower,  any more than that just gets in the way of handling. 

He gets it. 

Back in the 2-stroke days, the 250's were usually faster than the 500's.

Light weight and just enough power vs Heavy weight and too much power.

No matter where you go, there you are.

I think it depends on the riders ability to manage and handle the hp ..and the size and strength of the rider..and of course the track..Yeah Johnny O waxed the Euros on 500s..but he didnt get RJ that day and team tactics had nothing to do with it..and RJ couldn't touch Bailey that day

people dont realize the physics problem that weight and HP are. So long as the track doesnt require huge HP (no SX track does) the lightest rider/bike combo will actually have some very important advantages especially at breaking into turns.

Check out the difference between the heavyweight Peck and the lightweight Musquin ( im gona guess about 50 lbs difference?) in this vid.

Goto the 450 main and check out  the section 11:20 - 11:27

http://offroadvideos.org/ama-supercross-round-4-glendale-2018/

On 1/28/2018 at 1:27 PM, GBowman said:

I agree with this but my only argument is that is only true on a clean lap. On a 250f if you mess up or someone closes you off leading up to certain jumps or sections, you may not have the instant torque/power to still clear the section, like you do on a 450. Also, 450s can still go inside and do most of the combos that 250fs can only do with outside momentum. So add that all up over the course of a moto and the 450 should win everytime, with the pros. But fast lap for fast lap, the gap is much smaller and 250fs can be on par. Just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, ah665 said:

I agree with this but my only argument is that is only true on a clean lap. On a 250f if you mess up or someone closes you off leading up to certain jumps or sections, you may not have the instant torque/power to still clear the section, like you do on a 450. Also, 450s can still go inside and do most of the combos that 250fs can only do with outside momentum. So add that all up over the course of a moto and the 450 should win everytime, with the pros. But fast lap for fast lap, the gap is much smaller and 250fs can be on par. Just my opinion. 

I agree with your opinion 

Screenshot_20180130-084530.png

You have to feel sorry for rmz 250 riders

Why the MX1 GP series was won on a KTM "350" for many years.

IN quotes because it was legal to increase the volume up to 450cc.