Sign in to follow this  

Should I sand off powder coating on ignition coil mounts??

Hey guys - I’m sorting thought some possible electrical issue on my YZ250 and am in the process of testing everything

As I’m going through things I’m wondering if the powder coating on the ignition coil mounts could be causing issues and not letting it ground properly.

Does anyone know if PC will effect the ground?

The issue is super intermittent and has only happened twice so I’m not sold on the PC being my issue but figure I might as well ask y’all while I have it apart

Background - I just had the frame powder coated in a thick PC so it’s not OEM paint

Manly bikes where the coil is mounted to the frame and not COP the mounting bolts are a grounding point, as are places the engine attaches as well.

• Like 2

Manly bikes where the coil is mounted to the frame and not COP the mounting bolts are a grounding point, as are places the engine attaches as well.

Ok that makes sense .. I went ahead and cleaned up the bolt threads with a brass wheel since I had them out

Thank you!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cspencemx said:

Lol not sure why I didn’t think of that from the get go .. new bolts goin on now

Also clean both mounting ends of the coil where the bolt goes in. They are always rusty on every bike I work on. Little brass wire wheel or brush does the trick.

• Like 1