Does anyone know where I can find the the 2d models of dirt bike plastic?

So I'm looking to design my own Plastics for my 2010 yz450. I tried using motocals online designer, but its a little clunky and limited. I want to be able to import the outlines of the plastics into Photoshop, then print it onto vinyl wrap. That way I can design it exactly as i want. Only problem is i can't find the shapes of the plastic to import. Anyone have any ideas? 

Thanks 

Template! The word I was trying to think of was Plastics Template! So if anyone has or knows where to find the template for a 210 yz450f

Proprietary. There is a reason graphics companies are in business and it is the creation of the templates. Color schemes mean little.

• Like 1

cut out pieces of paper and lay them against the plastics until you have shapes that fit the plastics well. take the cutouts and put them on a grid and start writing out the coordinates for each point along the edges and use that in your photo editing software to make the shape. You can also print them a little bigger and trim down the edges to fit.

I actually bought them from artabrian.com a little pricey but not too bad. We'll see how designing goes!

That's an interesting project. You are talking about graphics, not plastic parts, correct? If so, you can scan a picture of a particular graphic from an ad, then scale it with a graphics editor program to the size you want. Not sure how legal this is :naughty:.  Post up some of your designs when you get started. 

My original plan was to get it printed on 3M vinyl then wrap my plastic. I might use a different material though depending on how much distortion I'd get when applying from the stretching. Designing is not easy, as I'm not familiar with adobe Illustrator, but hopefully over the next couple weeks I have atleast a rough copy! 

7 hours ago, HolyJoe said:

My original plan was to get it printed on 3M vinyl then wrap my plastic. I might use a different material though depending on how much distortion I'd get when applying from the stretching. Designing is not easy, as I'm not familiar with adobe Illustrator, but hopefully over the next couple weeks I have atleast a rough copy! 

Oh, your intention is clear now. You are looking to do your own GRAPHICS, not "plastics" for your bike like your subject title says.

Joe

Following! I want to also create my own graphics in Photoshop so I can then email them to a graphics company to bypass the issues of guessing “oh will my number plate be correct” etc. I have the cycra restyle kit on my yz250 and no known graphics company makes kits for them besides decalworks. So where could I find templates of the plastics at for free preferably?

If you read through you can see where I bought mine, I was unable to find any for free. Also they will be in a vector format, not raster, so photoshop won't work, or atleast on well 

motosportstemplates is the best place I've found to buy templates from. And as for the designing you're going to want to use adobe illustrator so it is in a vector format. You do not want it to be raster. This means all "artwork" and text needs to be in a vector form, and text converted to paths.

Buy a set from whoever and scan them. I scanned a set for a CR250 for this exact purpose. Based on your user name, when I clicked on this, I thought I might have been able to help you out...

bare minimum would be tracing paper (vellum) and a scanner or carefully taken photo. Better yet, some low-tack vinyl/tape so the finished product will stretch out similar to your source trace.

I've used Inkscape as a free alternative to Illustrator before. Not as good or robust (and a little buggy) but it works. High quality design work isn't something you're going to learn over night though. Don't expect a first time DIY job to come out anywhere near the same level as a professionally designed package unless you just want something really simple.

Edited by Kosmic

Just another thought.... You could just take screenshots of the shapes on motocal, trace those and reference scale them off of actual measurements on the bike. I would want to do some test prints using that method though. You'll want to add some edge bleed.

Templating is the easy part though, to be honest. Design is where the actual work occurs. It's not as easy as it looks (I have a degree in design/illustration). Helps to have a really solid design on paper first.