Shift up to go faster?

Duh, right? Been practicing corners a lot and I'm finding myself pinning 3rd gear going into some corners that I feel like I could almost take in another gear and on the faces of jumps. Probably a dumb question but should I practice trying to get into 4th sooner and shift more often? I mean I know that's the goal, but right now I don't carry quite enough speed to stay in fourth at the track we've been going to. Is it just better practice even if I bog a little? Will it help to carry more speed? Ill be honest I'm a little timid in 4th because I don't get a lot of higher speed practice.

Doesn't sound like it, but I'm wound out at a few spots and feel like I should be in 4th in a couple corners. Riding a '12 kx250. I want a 350 or 450 so I can just burp the throttle and clear everything. I'll be in 40+ next year.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE] 

Your riding in the right part of the rpm range. Your line choices are preventing you from carrying more speed and going faster. Click fourth if you can down any straits. If you arc those sweepers more you might be able too use fourth it’s hard to tell

Edited by temporarily_locked

Forgot to say your corner speed looks great. Widen your lines and you’ll be there

Thanks for the tips. I am trying to get leaned earlier and on the gas sooner, but I'm just not good at getting into the corners wide where the lines start. My son and I both tend to square into and slam corners instead of being smooth. Hurts us both, especially in Sandy tracks. I'll try really concentrating on getting into the corner wider next weekend.

Another note - physically there's no reason why I can't be a better rider. Just need to quit being a pansy and hit it. I've always been comfortable in the air, but corners have been hard to make progress. I don't like to crash but I need to take more risks in a corner and really try to lay it down and carve.

Thanks for the tips. I am trying to get leaned earlier and on the gas sooner, but I'm just not good at getting into the corners wide where the lines start. My son and I both tend to square into and slam corners instead of being smooth. Hurts us both, especially in Sandy tracks. I'll try really concentrating on getting into the corner wider next weekend.

Another note - physically there's no reason why I can't be a better rider. Just need to quit being a pansy and hit it. I've always been comfortable in the air, but corners have been hard to make progress. I don't like to crash but I need to take more risks in a corner and really try to lay it down and carve.

Watching your video you seem fine. Most of us have a hard time getting to the next level. It’s all about being comfortable at speed. So you have to push out of your comfort zone, then that becomes your speed comfort level. Let your body work with the bike but when u get tired the first thing to go is body position then crashes happen. I’ll say this. I’ve never accomplished anything such as like pro level racing. I have raced scrambles and motocross. I’ve ridden with pros. To me the fast guys, really fast guys are aliens. Cuz I just can’t do what they do. Except your limitations. Especially at 40+ be happy you’re riding. I’ve had so many injuries. I’ll never walk properly due to injuries. When you find yourself in traction at the hospital on morphine.. you’ll wish you’d realized you’re not 25 years old. Not to be a downer. We on here all love bikes, obviously. Just have fun man. Enjoy the time with your son that’s what’s most important

Watching your video you seem fine. Most of us have a hard time getting to the next level. It’s all about being comfortable at speed. So you have to push out of your comfort zone, then that becomes your speed comfort level. Let your body work with the bike but when u get tired the first thing to go is body position then crashes happen. I’ll say this. I’ve never accomplished anything such as like pro level racing. I have raced scrambles and motocross. I’ve ridden with pros. To me the fast guys, really fast guys are aliens. Cuz I just can’t do what they do. Except your limitations. Especially at 40+ be happy you’re riding. I’ve had so many injuries. I’ll never walk properly due to injuries. When you find yourself in traction at the hospital on morphine.. you’ll wish you’d realized you’re not 25 years old. Not to be a downer. We on here all love bikes, obviously. Just have fun man. Enjoy the time with your son that’s what’s most important

Oh.. yes most of us struggle with corner speed what’s great about cornering is there is always room for improvement. Tire pressure, sag, rebound, dampening, tire choice, body position, throttle control all play into it. As you well know.

I catch myself when I start getting tied and I have to make myself quit. I do pull off and load up because I know I'll make mistakes that i can't afford at my age. I'm really a pretty calculated risk taker. I just need to go for it in some of these corners where it won't hurt to slide out or plop to the inside.

Being comfortable with speed is the key. My son is border line alien. He lacks the self preservation gene. I try to tighten up his screws but they are always coming loose.

I catch myself when I start getting tied and I have to make myself quit. I do pull off and load up because I know I'll make mistakes that i can't afford at my age. I'm really a pretty calculated risk taker. I just need to go for it in some of these corners where it won't hurt to slide out or plop to the inside.

Being comfortable with speed is the key. My son is border line alien. He lacks the self preservation gene. I try to tighten up his screws but they are always coming loose.

For me, going faster has involved practicing good techniques and staying really focussed. The minute my mind starts wandering in practice laps I'll often get a little sudden reminder from my front end washing out to stay focussed. If I can't stay focussed, then I dial it back or go rest.
When there is a loud noise in a nursery at a hospital, most of the babies will be startled and start crying, a minority will stay quiet and gaze around and the one or two future MX riders will start laughing.
I have an above average fear of speed. It makes me very careful.

I always like cornering a gear high on my YZ250 unkess I was in sand or had an up hill right after the corner.

I got faster once I started riding a gear high.  I HAD to go less slow in order to avoid bog.  Not only did I have to go faster, but it was easier to go faster; The power was smoother, which means less arm pump and I got more traction.  The back end didnt slide out as bad, and I could keep my weight farther back.  I also didn't have to shift as much on the straights.  All of those things were extra helpful if there were accel bumps or whoops right after the corner.

Cornering in a higher gear consistently encourages you to go faster.  It also aids in traction while decreasing the amount of shifting that you do after the corner.  I believe it to be easier on your engine and tires, as well.  

Edited by dirtjumpordie
I always like cornering a gear high on my YZ250 unkess I was in sand or had an up hill right after the corner.

I got faster once I started riding a gear high.  I HAD to go less slow in order to avoid bog.  Not only did I have to go faster, but it was easier to go faster; The power was smoother, which means less arm pump and I got more traction.  The back end didnt slide out as bad, and I could keep my weight farther back.  I also didn't have to shift as much on the straights.  All of those things were extra helpful if there were accel bumps or whoops right after the corner.

Cornering in a higher gear consistently encourages you to go faster.  It also aids in traction while decreasing the amount of shifting that you do after the corner.  I believe it to be easier on your engine and tires, as well.  

This is kind of what I am counting on and going will help me. Instead of ringing out gears for speed I'll have to concentrate on momentum and carrying speed. Thanks for the input.

5 hours ago, gduck24 said:

This is kind of what I am counting on and going will help me. Instead of ringing out gears for speed I'll have to concentrate on momentum and carrying speed. Thanks for the input.

You're welcome!  I bet it works out for you.  

Side note: I am surprised how good that comment is that I wrote, because I was really drunk when I wrote it :lol: lol

Nice job then! I generally try not to drink and do the internet at the same time. I get a lot of packages from Amazon that way.

Also, using the clutch gently to feed in the taller gear really helps get a lot of power down smoothly and with more precise control. It lets you “stretch” a gear further after the corner exit. Once you get the hang of it, it will happen intuitively and seamlessly. Check out two stroke videos with skilled MX riders for examples of how it should sound. Don’t worry, you won’t burn up clutches and your speed/control will improve.

Maybe you already know all this, but I find myself deliberately focusing on it at times to stay sharp.

Also, using the clutch gently to feed in the taller gear really helps get a lot of power down smoothly and with more precise control. It lets you “stretch” a gear further after the corner exit. Once you get the hang of it, it will happen intuitively and seamlessly. Check out two stroke videos with skilled MX riders for examples of how it should sound. Don’t worry, you won’t burn up clutches and your speed/control will improve.

Maybe you already know all this, but I find myself deliberately focusing on it at times to stay sharp.

I rode a lot of crappy 2 strokes most my life so my clutch work is on point, had to be to keep them in the power. I do feel if I am coming out of corners in forth I will be abusing it for a little while till I get up to speed. I think I just need to get more active with shifting in general.