Would you replace this shock

So I’ve had some bad luck with my rear shock lately. I had a poor mechanic install a new rear shock spring. He got the adjustment but cross threaded. The lock nut was fine. Over the course of about 40 hours of riding the shock spring became malalignend and started to cause wear on the body of the shock. ( see photos ). Initially I was not too concerned with the wear as it is not on the gas chamber but I would like some opinions from the community here. I was able to carefully Dremel of the lock nut without fouling more threads but some damage had already been done. My initial thought is to order an Xtrig preload adjustment device that would span the fouled threads and not replace the entire shock ($$$). Basically I’m asking has this happened to anyone out here and what did you do and should I just bite the bullet and replace the entire shock to the tune of about $900. Thanks in advance. 

50D478B3-53AB-48FD-AE76-4E7B3A3D4907.jpeg

34F218B6-4279-4913-8B81-A8DF282AADE3.jpeg

4 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

$435 new shock

$465 to tune ?

Where did you find this?  As I said my local shops are quoting me $850. At that price I may consider this option. Would you replace this shock judging from the wear ?

How does that even happen that had to be the wrong spring or something was put together very wrong. Either way replace the shock body because it will probably start to crack around the inner circlip. Find a used shock for cheap on eBay and just swap internals. You can find these shocks for around $100. If you call around you can find places that will sell you just a shock body also.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vish said:

Where did you find this?  As I said my local shops are quoting me $850. At that price I may consider this option. Would you replace this shock judging from the wear ?

its actually $467 new shock - i was looking at the 250fx

yz.jpg.214bcdd26392657a5fd512dac007acee.jpg

Any part of that shock can be replaced!  You have ZERO need for a complete new shock. You should be talking to reputable susp tuners, not mechanics or anyone associated with a dealership. Do your homework before you let yourself get robbed. Post your location and ask for reputable tuners in your area, should be several. You also need to buy a service manual for your bike, replacing a spring is the most simple of jobs. May even be in your owners manual. 

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 1

Without buying a whole new shock, I suggest buying a new body and new cap from someone who can get the parts from Technical Touch (they sell KYB parts, and KYB is who made the shock to Yamaha's specifications). A suspension shop tuner can replace those parts.

If the price is close to a new shock from Partzilla, then just buy a new shock, sell that one for parts to someone and get some money back.

1 hour ago, DEATH_INC. said:

I'd replace it, or at least a new body. Too much risk of it fracturing, those wear marks look pretty deep. I'm guessing the spring is stuffed too?

Yes I was goin to get a new spring as well. Looks like I have some leg work to do to get the needed parts. 

On 1/28/2018 at 6:41 PM, Vish said:

KYB on a Yamaha 250x. From the couple of shops I’ve been to you can only buy the whole shock. I’m open to advice for buying parts though. 

Brother, have I got a deal for you! Ebay has a BUNCH of YZ shocks from 2006 up for around $150. All should work. Run them stock. Feeling like you need woods valving? $90 buys you a gold valve kit from Race Tech. Simple to revalve it yourself, and I am totally serious.

Edited by LSHD

On 1/28/2018 at 6:31 PM, Vish said:

So I’ve had some bad luck with my rear shock lately. I had a poor mechanic install a new rear shock spring. He got the adjustment but cross threaded. The lock nut was fine. Over the course of about 40 hours of riding the shock spring became malalignend and started to cause wear on the body of the shock. ( see photos ). Initially I was not too concerned with the wear as it is not on the gas chamber but I would like some opinions from the community here. I was able to carefully Dremel of the lock nut without fouling more threads but some damage had already been done. My initial thought is to order an Xtrig preload adjustment device that would span the fouled threads and not replace the entire shock ($$$). Basically I’m asking has this happened to anyone out here and what did you do and should I just bite the bullet and replace the entire shock to the tune of about $900. Thanks in advance. 

50D478B3-53AB-48FD-AE76-4E7B3A3D4907.jpeg

34F218B6-4279-4913-8B81-A8DF282AADE3.jpeg

That is a serious shock to be on that sweet little 12" girlie BMX bicycle in the picture!!!

• Like 1