spooge with Lectron carb

I need advice... I am a new rider to 2 stroke's, I have a 2014 KTM 300 xcw.  I put a Lectron carb on it with a new metering rod installed by Slavens racing.  I run Amsoil Saber at 80:1.  My problem is I am still getting spooge out my silencer, its not dripping but its there.  I try to stay on the pipe or at least rev it when going slow and technical.  Is it my novice ability or is there something I need to take apart and clean out?  Saber and a Lectron you figure I wouldn't have any spooge at all.

Edited by colotaco
spelling
  • Like 1

It’s a damn two-stroke, you put oil in the gas it’s going to spooge. Don’t worry about it just ride it .....

• Like 10

Most likely your silencer's packing material is saturated with spooge. Try replacing it and see.
I have a Lectron and run Amsoil Saber at 80:1 and don't get much spooge at all. Just a tiny amount at the exhaust tip for comparison.
I wouldn't worry about it to much. Other then being unsightly, a little spooge doesn't hurt anything.

• Like 1

Tune the metering rod using your plug as an indicator (lots of plug threads you can look at to see what a good plug reading should look like). The low/mid range is controlled by rod length. The top end is controlled by power jet.

Once the above is done correctly you won’t have any appreciable sponge. Black on the end of the silencer? Yes, but like the previous post says... it’s 2 stroke!

Start by leaning your metering rod by 1/8th of a turn.If that doesn't do it,turn it lean by one more 1/8th turn and I can almost promise you that it will stop.When I richen mine by a 1/4 turn then hammer it like hell,she will spooge slightly,if I lean it by 1/8th turn I get no spooge.I run saber 80:1 also.

Take the advice of inspecting your plug also.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NateDavis said:

Start by leaning your metering rod by 1/8th of a turn.If that doesn't do it,turn it lean by one more 1/8th turn and I can almost promise you that it will stop.When I richen mine by a 1/4 turn then hammer it like hell,she will spooge slightly,if I lean it by 1/8th turn I get no spooge.I run saber 80:1 also.

Take the advice of inspecting your plug also.

You can only lock the rod in by 1/4 increments. Are you letting it sit between the detents?

To the OP-lectrons tuning instructions are online. You could be rich on the  power jet too. Its easy to adjust both and its better to figure how out  you prefer it.  If you like the way it runs use a rag to remove the spooge after each ride.

• Like 2

I’ve already replaced the packing in silencer. Could it have to do with the power valve out of adjustment? I’m running the green spring in it right now also.

What metering rod?

and what length?

get that before you call lectron

i dont think spooge is ok, especially with fresh packing 

Your jetting is off, likely rich in low to mid range unless you are track riding 

• Like 1

My 2016 250 doesn't spooge at all with a lectron, and I have gone 3/4 turn richer on the rod than the previous owner had it set at. 

Adjusting the metering rod is very easy, and the power jet is even simpler being an external adjustment. Check your plug, check your silencer packing, and jet based on the plug. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, colotaco said:

I’ve already replaced the packing in silencer. Could it have to do with the power valve out of adjustment? I’m running the green spring in it right now also.

Didn't catch this.

No, yes, sort of. Any powervalve adjustment you make may require some amount of carb adjustment/jetting changes. Your lectron should and can run clean with any different powervalve set ups. The lectron is a pretty simple carb. First things first stop speculating and pull your plug out and look at it. Grab a fresh plug and go run that. Compare. Make jetting (Metering Rod) adjustment based on that. Plenty of video's/threads showing how to adjust your metering rod. Once you have the metering rod cleaned up, adjust the power jet (which is your higher RPM fueling/jetting). 

The flash point for Amsoil Saber is 180c.  Flash point for Amsoil Interceptor is 102c.

Use Interceptor

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CBrider said:

Tune the metering rod using your plug as an indicator (lots of plug threads you can look at to see what a good plug reading should look like). The low/mid range is controlled by rod length. The top end is controlled by power jet.

Once the above is done correctly you won’t have any appreciable sponge. Black on the end of the silencer? Yes, but like the previous post says... it’s 2 stroke!

The instructions tell you to do a plug chop for the power jet only and under a load. The rod is adjusted for off idle only not low/mid.

4 hours ago, Pincushion said:

The flash point for Amsoil Saber is 180c.  Flash point for Amsoil Interceptor is 102c.

Use Interceptor

finally a good answer (imho) ;-)

If you got splooge, you're either running way rich or you're burning too much oil or a combination of both.

In seeing that you are running 80:1  which in my opinion is way too lean , as far as an oil to gas ratio that is.  Seeing that the oil you put in the gas is what lubricates the main bearings and rod bearings and piston:cylinder wall; I'd prefer to foul a plug rather than burn an engine down due to lack of proper lubrication.

Okay back on topic.  If your splooging after your carb swap and not before then play with the jetting.  If you were splooging before the carb swap then you need to concider two things.  First you may have originally  been to rich fuel/air ratio, or your PTO crank seal is allowing tranny oil to be pulled through.

There are two types of Rich. 

Air/fuel or oil/Fuel

Both are important but oil/fuel is more important.  Unless you don't care about lubricating things.

Good luck.

• Like 4

OK first of by running 80 to one instead of the 60 to one as per KTM -- you are running less oil and more gas = running rich.

The Saber oil is actually recommended to run 100 to 1 due to the low boiling point it sticks and staye's in the engine a lot longer instead of boiling of and washing out.

So that is actually a relatively high oil ratio for this oil, now mix that with a rich mixture on gas = cold running engine and you get soot out your tailpipe.

You have 2 options  either run interceptor or similar at 60 to1 or adjust your carb for what you are running. 

One little side note is that with the 300 a lot of the time guys just run a gear high with big throttle openings instead of being in the right gear and on the pipe, that

also does not help. In the slow going stuff I sometimes get a bit as well,after all it still is a 2 stroke. Like mentioned before if it is not excessive a rag will due just fine

My  250 ( also with a Lectron) is a lot easier that way just due to not having as much torque I run it closer to the happy zone and shift instead of just using the torque without shifting. 

My 2 cents worth.        

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but.....

80:1 is regarded as 80 parts gas, and 1 part oil.

So 80:1 is a leaner oil to gas ratio than 60:1

60:1  is 60 parts gas and 1 part oil 

therefore 60:1 is richer than 80:1

I don't care what people want to run, for gas:oil ratios, but oil is a good thing and lack of oil causes metal to stick.  Take your pick.  Those of us that like our bikes and want them to run as long as possible don't skimp on lubrication.  To each his own.

good luck.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but.....

80:1 is regarded as 80 parts gas, and 1 part oil.

So 80:1 is a leaner oil to gas ratio than 60:1

60:1  is 60 parts gas and 1 part oil 

therefore 60:1 is richer than 80:1

I don't care what people want to run, for gas:oil ratios, but oil is a good thing and lack of oil causes metal to stick.  Take your pick.  Those of us that like our bikes and want them to run as long as possible don't skimp on lubrication.  To each his own.

good luck.

Most people view richness vs leanness based on jetting their carburetor and how much fuel is available for combustion. More fuel equals richer, less fuel equals leaner.

Hence if you are adding oil to fuel it is displacing gasoline or making it leaner for the same volume of premix the engine would see during combustion.

Either way you look at it works, but it is more common to discuss richness vs leanness based on fueling and not oil.

Per the example of 80:1 vs 60:1, you have more fuel per volume of premix in the 80:1 then the 60:1 causing the fuel ratio to be richer. Again just perspective.

Once you choose your ratio (and each oil brand and product has its own recommendation on ratio based on the oil characteristics), jet accordingly.

• Like 2