Non contact Laser Photo Tachometer

I purchased a non contact photo laser tachometer to help set the RPM on my 2009 Kawasaki KX250F.  Where am I supposed to put the reflective tape to help me measure.  I am just recently teaching myself to work on my family’s dirt bikes so this is kind of new to me.  Thanks to anyone who can help.

you don't need a tach, just set the idle so the bike stays running , some people like the bike to idle for a few seconds and then die, however to make that tach work you would need to remove the stator cover and apply tape to the flywheel.

I purchased a non contact photo laser tachometer to help set the RPM on my 2009 Kawasaki KX250F.  Where am I supposed to put the reflective tape to help me measure.  I am just recently teaching myself to work on my family’s dirt bikes so this is kind of new to me.  Thanks to anyone who can help.
Reflective tape goes on the rotating item you are trying to measure the rpm of. So like the exposed flywheel fan of a lawnmower, or the chuck of a lathe.

In otherwords, it's not going towork with your bike. You want a tach that wraps the spark plug wire, or one of the mechanial spring steel tachs. Sorry.

Yeah... a laser tach will not work on most motorcycles.

If all you want to do is set idle speed, plenty of 'tiny tach' hour meters will show idle rpm and also show run time wit the engine off.

If you want a tach tool, there are vibrational contact ones (you touch it to the bike it it 'hears' the engine firing), ones that have a clamp on probe (they pick up the spark)  and high end ones that can pick up the ignition firing much like a radio picks up a radio station.

BTW, ideal idle speed is appx. 1,850