'17 CRF450 RX starter motor problem

Has anyone had any issues with the starter motor on their machine? I just hear a whine when trying to start it. I'm thinking it's the one way bearing. It had been starting really slowly like a nearly dead battery, so I assumed it was that and replaced the battery, but now it's just spinning as if it's not engaging. It seems a little premature to fail.

• 4 weeks later...

So the issue was the two gears circled below are no longer coupled together. They are supposed to be press fit but now spin freely from one another. Seems like an odd design decision to have these press fit like that.

Anyone else having this issue?

My theory why is that it was 15 degrees Fahrenheit out when it first stopped working. It was early in the morning, and even colder overnight so the motor was really cold. I think the extra load to turn over the motor exceeded what that press fit can handle. That antigravity battery is much more powerful than the stock lead acid too, even in cold weather. Started up first kick though, which was the first kick ever in about 150hrs I've ridden the bike.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gbz1nc5MMPLEvBNf1

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2018 at 6:09 PM, Bradshawpe said:

So the issue was the two gears circled below are no longer coupled together. They are supposed to be press fit but now spin freely from one another. Seems like an odd design decision to have these press fit like that.

My theory why is that it was 15 degrees Fahrenheit out when it first stopped working. It was early in the morning, and even colder overnight so the motor was really cold. I think the extra load to turn over the motor exceeded what that press fit can handle. That antigravity battery is much more powerful than the stock lead acid too, even in cold weather. Started up first kick though, which was the first kick ever in about 150hrs I've ridden the bike.

Im having the same issue! were you able to solve the issue? is it just matter of replacing the coupled gears?

• 5 weeks later...

My 450L just had the same issue. Honda covered the repair even though my 1 year warranty had just expired. It blows my mind that the gears are press fit on a smooth shaft like that. They kept the part to send back to Honda for failure analysis. They said that there was one other reported failure on a 450L. This part is the same for the 17-19 RX, 18-19 R, 19 X & L.

They might do it that way to prevent case failure during a kick back scenario if someone hits the starter button with the throttle cracked open a tad. That's pure speculation on my part. But the aspect of being cheaper to produce is probably more accurate.

If a guy was to get them good and clean, he could sweat those together with a silver brazing and save time and money and have one hell of a permanent fix. Because it wouldn't come loose again.

Interesting. In my situation I was in first gear with the clutch pulled in when that gear let go. The starter did not freewheel like some have reported. Instead, it locked up, but fortunately I was able to bump start it.

I think that being in gear might put a bigger load on the starting reduction gears. I’ll be starting in neutral from here on out. Don’t want to risk another failure out in the middle of nowhere.