My quest to save the driveway from mud

I am trying to save my driveway (and marriage). After a few muddy rides and the resulting mud deposits in the driveway, I began wondering how I could reduce the mud? We have a relatively flat driveway, and water is none too cheap, so using massive amounts of water is not a great solution.

I figured what if I had something to catch the mud under the bike?

I searched online and could not find a rubber mat — with a raised lip — large enough. So I decided to improvise.

A PVC rectangle just a bit smaller than the largest trash bag I could find cut to lay open flat. “C” shaped clips made from PVC hold the trash bag over the frame. The idea is that the water will spill over the PVC but the mud won’t. After, tip it to get rid of excess water, then fold up the trash bag with the dirt in it and throw it away.

Pics from a test run. The driveway still had mud from the heavy mud wash last week LOL. Worked okay, but the bikes weren’t that dirty compared to recent washes.

As you can see, it covers under most of my son’s dirt bike. With the YZ250X (don’t have a pic) I just need to make sure I cleaned the tires rotated so the dirt fell over the plastic.

I will keep testing and report back.

131B9BE7-B751-4694-8ECF-6C90025C4EB0.jpeg

D1E1DC94-CBBD-4DD0-98F2-1CEB46B5F098.jpeg

55AC9D9A-67B5-4972-A7B6-E1360B26ADFE.jpeg

F6B5A9A6-E282-4298-B4EC-64589CD5CDAA.jpeg

Edited by Tahoe Gator
typos

Why not wash in the yard?

sod would never survive the water and mud would pile up. (newly sodded)

old truck bed liner ?  friend slid one in his carpeted van to haul bike, just dump it out over the neighbors fence : )   another option is just use the coin wash on the way home.

Edited by highmarker
5 minutes ago, highmarker said:

old truck bed liner ?  friend slid one in his carpeted van to haul bike, just dump it out over the neighbors fence : )   another option is just use the coin wash on the way home.

Both awesome suggestions. Id pick an area in the yard to use if it were me though. But ur yard looks much more like a golf course than mine.

14 minutes ago, highmarker said:

another option is just use the coin wash on the way home.

yeah i hear these work well - or are you too cheap ? :D

You would use much less water if you used a pressure washer. For the quantity of mud you have I would definitely hit the coin-operated wash stand on the way home. Only run it about a minute on each bike (cheap! :D ) to blast off the bulk of the mud then come home and do the rest with your pressure washer. I would corral the mud into a section of your driveway, let it dry somewhat, then scoop it up into your garbage can or yard waste.

If you used a pressure washer and got rid of most of it first as noted then you wouldn't have much of a mud or water problem in the yard.

Edited by shrubitup

It'd be alot less hassle to go to the coin car wash I'd think

That driveway is way too foo-foo to get dirty.  Better get a divorce or pressure wash before you get home.  Doesn't look like your invention is working.

Jackhammer one of those concrete sections out and put in gravel 

I've always washed mine in the yard.  Never had a problem with the grass even with a lot of mud on the bike.

23 minutes ago, bryanaverill said:

I've always washed mine in the yard.  Never had a problem with the grass even with a lot of mud on the bike.

:thumbsup: But my first thought is a new wife. A driveway is a driveway, not the floor in the dining room.

I have always found it worth the money to stop at the coin op pressure car wash and knock off the bulk of the mud before I came home. Makes for a much easier job to properly clean the bike with less water and more time at home.  A pressure washer for use at home has proven well worth the money for the saving of water and time. It also does a great job cleaning the driveway and other outdoor things around the house.   Happy wife, happy life.  It is possible to have both and a reasonably clean driveway.  Good luck. 

19 hours ago, Tahoe Gator said:

I am trying to save my driveway (and marriage). After a few muddy rides and the resulting mud deposits in the driveway, I began wondering how I could reduce the mud? We have a relatively flat driveway, and water is none too cheap, so using massive amounts of water is not a great solution.

I searched online and could not find a rubber mat — with a raised lip — large enough. So I decided to improvise.

A PVC rectangle just a bit smaller than the largest trash bag I could find cut to lay open flat. “C” shaped clips made from PVC hold the trash bag over the frame. The idea is that the water will spill over the PVC but the mud won’t. After, tip it to get rid of excess water, then fold up the trash bag with the dirt in it and throw it away.

Pics from a test run. The driveway still had mud from the heavy mud wash last week LOL. Worked okay, but the bikes weren’t that dirty compared to recent washes.

As you can see, it covers under most of my son’s dirt bike. With the YZ250X (don’t have a pic) I just need to make sure I cleaned the tires rotated so the dirt fell over the plastic.

Damn look at all that finely placed Bermuda grass lol. 

Stop washing your bikes at home and find a coin operated car wash.

Buy another length of hose if needed to reach the street. Wash there. No more water used than currently, yard is unaffected, and wife won't care about mud in the gutter. Problem solved.

2 minutes ago, Ryguy00 said:

Buy another length of hose if needed to reach the street. Wash there. No more water used than currently, yard is unaffected, and wife won't care about mud in the gutter. Problem solved.

City could get him for illicit discharge under NPDES.

10 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

City could get him for illicit discharge under NPDES.

Yep.

OP didn't say what state he is in, but certain areas of the Country would tar and feather you for discharging mud/silt into the storm drains.

Truly, your best option is a coin operated pressure washer in this case. 

I just do like others have said and pressure wash the mud off onto a different section of the lawn each time.

20 minutes ago, Makaio said:

Yep.

OP didn't say what state he is in, but certain areas of the Country would tar and feather you for discharging mud/silt into the storm drains.

Truly, your best option is a coin operated pressure washer in this case. 

I just do like others have said and pressure wash the mud off onto a different section of the lawn each time.

Most car washes around here have signs saying no dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, or atv's allowed, and you can catch a ticket if you get caught by the owners. Having said that, it doesn't stop me from doing what I have to do when I need to do it. That neighborhood just looks like a place I'd get voted out of fast because I'd have my shit out in the street spraying it off if that's what I wanted to do. The HOA looks strong in that neighborhood lol.  

20 hours ago, Tahoe Gator said:

After a little reflection on this post I came up with something for you. In the furthest corner of the back yard I'd build a 5x8ft frame out of 2x12 and fill it with gravel so you can pull your bike up on it and spray it off. The muddy water will leach through the grave and disperse it into the yard slowly instead of just plopping it on the grass in a pile. Any large clumps of dirt just wash them into the gravel till its gone. No more mess in the driveway.