Chest Protector? (Recommendations, etc)

I am in the market looking to maybe purchase a chest protector. I had always had one when I was riding as a kid but now that I have “grown up” I kind of quit “caring” about having one. I am wanting one again now so I can “feel” safer flying at trees in the woods lol and since I plan on trying to race a harescramble or 2 this year.

I have been looking on rocky mountain and saw a few I would be interested in. Only problem is I wouldn’t be able to “try it on” before buying and I am not playing the return game. The local shop has a few but they are way more expensive and are no where near my price range to even spend time trying them on.

I am after something obviously light and that will protect me if i crash. Want one that you can wear under or over a jersey and over a under shirt (t shirt) and be comfortable. Also needs to be really good quality (don’t want it busting up if i hit a branch or it gets stuffed in a box full of gear).

Price Range is under $125. Brand doesn’t matter.

5’11 - 6’ft. 220lbs. What size?

Thanks!!

This is not necessarily a suggestion, but something that worked out good for me.  A few years ago I was trying on chest protectors at out local mx store.  I picked one up and tried it one and thought, wow, pretty good fit.  A few weeks later I was getting suited up at our local track, and one of my riding buddies looked at me and said "you know that's a women's chest protector."  

Well I didn't know that, but it was a good fit and was good for the summertime.  The fit was good, but chest part of it was curved outwards to fit a women.  I wear my protectors under my jersey, which keeps the jersey from hugging you body during the hot summertime.  The outward curve really helps keep you cool, especially since I wear fully vented gear. 

Tek Vest and forget the rest! Spend a little more for a lot of protection. The extra money spent will pay back huge dividens when it comes time to compare bruised ribs vs. broken ones. Don't ask how I know.

Buy the best gear you can afford because the few dollars saved won't be worth the expense.

6 minutes ago, fred garvin said:

Tek Vest and forget the rest! Spend a little more for a lot of protection. The extra money spent will pay back huge dividens when it comes time to compare bruised ribs vs. broken ones. Don't ask how I know.

Buy the best gear you can afford because the few dollars saved won't be worth the expense.

If it is the Klim Tek Vest you are speaking of, I am sure it is a great product but as far as protection goes I seriously doubt that it is any better than a host of other choices that are literally half the price. Klim is good gear, I own quite a bit but it is not the end all be all for moto gear and holds up marginally better than many other quality brands that cost much less. I think that Klim is kind of trying to leverage the cool factor a bit too much with their pricing. Again, great stuff but not a great value in my opinion. The plastic that they use in the tek vest I will bet is no different than MSR, Acerbis, Thor, Fox, etc. so protection is questionable as to whether it is better. Durbability and function (comfort) might be better but again, with a little mods here and there you can pay $150 and get shoulder pads! $460 for an XL Tek vest with shoulder pads is just plain ridiculous. JMO

If it is the Klim Tek Vest you are speaking of, I am sure it is a great product but as far as protection goes I seriously doubt that it is any better than a host of other choices that are literally half the price. Klim is good gear, I own quite a bit but it is not the end all be all for moto gear and holds up marginally better than many other quality brands that cost much less. I think that Klim is kind of trying to leverage the cool factor a bit too much with their pricing. Again, great stuff but not a great value in my opinion. The plastic that they use in the tek vest I will bet is no different than MSR, Acerbis, Thor, Fox, etc. so protection is questionable as to whether it is better. Durbability and function (comfort) might be better but again, with a little mods here and there you can pay $150 and get shoulder pads! $460 for an XL Tek vest with shoulder pads is just plain ridiculous. JMO

Exactly. Same opinion here. There are a thousand different options but the most expensive is not always the best. I have seen $200 pants be ripped on a fall in the yard and $50 pants last 2 whole race seasons. I looked at the Leatt 2.5 and Thor 2018 Sentinel CE. Both were right in my price range and are under jersey. I just dont know how the Leatt or Thor will fit on me with a tshirt under it as well?
7 minutes ago, RidingWithStyle said:

Exactly. Same opinion here. There are a thousand different options but the most expensive is not always the best. I have seen $200 pants be ripped on a fall in the yard and $50 pants last 2 whole race seasons. I looked at the Leatt 2.5 and Thor 2018 Sentinel CE. Both were right in my price range and are under jersey. I just dont know how the Leatt or Thor will fit on me with a tshirt under it as well?. 

I just bought an Acerbis Koerta 2.0 which is the full upper body suit. I have only worn it once so far but it feels great. i am sure that it will be hot in summertime but I will deal with it, although it seems to be pretty breathable. I am not familiar with the Leatt other than my good riding friend has one of their upper body suits that he likes a lot. I just bought two XL jerseys to go over the suit and they fit great. I normally wear a large shirt if that helps. There were no problems with me fitting light weight short sleeve and long sleeve synthetic shirts under mine. I am 5'10" and 180lbs

Another recommendation for a Tekvest.  I tried a lot of moto gear before I figured out the best chest protection is the one that'd been in the closet for the sled. 

Klim's Tekvest is the Freestyle with Klim's colors and pricetag.  I recommend the Crossover for moto use, it's what i've been wearing for a while now and i'm really happy with it.

DSC_4069_-L.jpg

5 hours ago, crankee said:

This times 72!

How rigid are the shoulders on the Tek Vest?

Collar bone protection is pretty important to me.  I bought a decent looking SixSixOne from Rocky Mountain.

I've never seen a upper body protector of any sport that would prevent broken collarbones. '

5 hours ago, mbrick said:

How rigid are the shoulders on the Tek Vest?

Collar bone protection is pretty important to me.  I bought a decent looking SixSixOne from Rocky Mountain.

UHMW sheet with closed-cell foam behind it. 

Short of hockey shoulder pads (and even then, questionable), I don't think there's anything on the market that will prevent collarbone injuries.  Just comes with the sport. 

Learn the tuck-and-roll.  A few years in the rodeo arena, you'll either get good at it or break yourself trying.

IMO, the original HRP Flakjak design with webbing over the shoulders is still after all these years the best protection.  Not that it couldn't be easily improved on it is just that nothing will sell since looking cool just before you tip over and wrench your shoulder or break your ribs is far more important than looking like a goon when you are riding.  Sorry, every time this subject comes up I go on a rant about how 1/3 of the pro riders are out with upper body injuries, most of which could be greatly minimized with proper gear...

Edited by Float

I feel I should share a simplified story here.
3/2017, a get off, the bar end, dislocated sternum and other injuries, ER doctor stated that my Fox Titan saved my life, with out it the bar end would of pushed the ribs into the chest cavity and scoop the heart apart. Hit so hard I twisted the bar risers.
I just bought Leatt 5.5 HD,
$200.
Food for thought?

Atlas Defender, full version.  Better than just roost protector (front and back), super light and vented well.  And best of all it is made to work with an Atlas neck brace.  ~$125 or less.

s-l640.jpg

2 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Atlas Defender, full version.  Better than just roost protector (front and back), super light and vented well.  And best of all it is made to work with an Atlas neck brace.  ~$125 or less.

s-l640.jpg

Never seen one of those, back and rib protection?

2 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Never seen one of those, back and rib protection?

Back yes, comes down pretty good.  No side protection, its actually a next generation roost.  Keeps me from getting impaled, that's my main concern.  It is padded with waterproof padding.  And the venting is excellent, I wear it outside the jersey, the vents work very well.  I tried a couple other brands, I really liked the Leatt vest, but they didn't work well with my Atlas neck brace.

Back yes, comes down pretty good.  No side protection, its actually a next generation roost.  Keeps me from getting impaled, that's my main concern.  It is padded with waterproof padding.  And the venting is excellent, I wear it outside the jersey, the vents work very well.  I tried a couple other brands, I really liked the Leatt vest, but they didn't work well with my Atlas neck brace.

I looked into this one last night some. Its like $85-95 right now and is under jersey. Not being able to try them on physically makes it a hard choice for me.

The 3 I am really eyeballing are:

- Fox ProFrame Roost Deflector

- Thor 2018 Sentinel CE Chest Protector

- Atlas 2018 Defender Lite Chest Protector

16 minutes ago, RidingWithStyle said:

I looked into this one last night some. Its like $85-95 right now and is under jersey. Not being able to try them on physically makes it a hard choice for me.

The 3 I am really eyeballing are:
- Fox ProFrame Roost Deflector
- Thor 2018 Sentinel CE Chest Protector
-

I wear it outside because of the neck brace, it attaches to it with loops at the shoulders.

I wear it outside because of the neck brace, it attaches to it with loops at the shoulders.

Only bad thing about the atlas is sizing. Im 225 6’1”. I had a xlarge jersey and it hugged me tight as hell so i had to move to a 2xl for alot more comfort and to have the ability to run an under jersey protector.
Just now, RidingWithStyle said:

Only bad thing about the atlas is sizing. Im 225 6’1”. I had a xlarge jersey and it hugged me tight as hell so i had to move to a 2xl for alot more comfort and to have the ability to run an under jersey protector.

Won't work well for you.  I'm 6' 205 and if I were any taller or bigger it wouldn't be comfortable.