1998kx250 trade for a 2001 yz426f ??

Hi guys i have almost completely rebuilt 1998 kx250 needs nothing someone wants to trade for a 2001 yz426f he says has spark good and compression but took it apart and messed up the timing now it wont fire up i know a little about bikes but never set the timing on a 4 stroke should i stay away from this deal or is there anyway i can check to see if it is actually just the timing dont want to trade a bike in great shape that needs nothing for a lemon

INPUT PLEASE THANKS

kx250.jpg

No trade. Why would you trade a perfectly running bike for one that isn't? The 98 KX250 is regarded as a very good bike. It was similar to the 95 listed here. https://dirtbikemagazine.com/10-best-dirt-bikes-of-the-90s/

98 KX250 was the shootout winner. https://motocrossactionmag.com/the-best-motocross-bikes-of-the-past-34-years-did-you-own-one-of-these/

What don't you like about it?

• Like 7

its a tempting offer but something is telling me its not the timing just not sure what it may be and now much it will cost to fix iam going to consult with the bike shop i use and see how much they would charge to adjust the timing

but i think i may pass on this offer

• Like 1

well this genius  said he just took it apart for maintenance and cleaned the top end and said he believes the timing is off by 2 teeth now it wont fire up also says it has good spark and compression i mainly deal with 2 strokes so not really familiar with 4 stroke timing 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nickwilliams79 said:

I love the bike and will be selling soon for the type of riding i do its alittle much i  just figured value wise the yz426 is worth alittle more and i could probably get more money for it 

Anybody shopping for an extra bike will buy a used, well cared for two stroke (yours) over a 17 year old four stroke with valvetrain problems (timing) - every day. If the 17 year old four stroke motor catastrophically fails then the repairs will exceed the value of the bike unlike the two stroke motor.

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 9

I’m not sure his 426 would be worth more than your KX if both were running. The 426 is hard to start especially hot, but pretty good bikes once started. I think you could sell or trade your KX into a good running if not more modern 450 without to much trouble. Don’t do it

• Like 2

An 01 YZ426F was a headache to start when it was a new bike, muchless 17 years old, years of abuse/possible neglect, and some nut monkeying with the already sensitive engine.

I loved it back in the day, great bike. Would strongly look for a different deal with a 4t with no running issues. I see frequently people with 4t wanting a straight trade for a 2t. Hope you get what you would like either way!

6 hours ago, nickwilliams79 said:

Considering  the bike has new top end bottom end clutch plates transmission gears new  dual radiators front and rear pads boysen power reeds full fmf exhaust probably forgetting some other things how much when i sell do you think its worth?

or what should my asking price be

In April here, $1850. Fcr carbed four stroke kick only are a nightmare to start. 

• Like 1