So im in the market for a new bike. I ride a 2001 cr 250 r and it rips. No mechanical issues, I could use a fork rebuild but is a solid bike. Ive been wanting a 450 for awhile, I had a honda 250 4stroke previous to this honda. So to step up I decided to get a 250 2stroke. Now that im comfortable with the snappy power delivery im in the market for more low end and more top end which leaves me wanting a 450 4 stroke. 

So I put the word out about wating to possibly straight across swap for a 450. I came across a guy with a 04 ktm 450 sx that runs well not perfect. It needs tlc for sure, the gaskets were leaky first off, it was a pain to start. I couldnt get it started, my crf 250 was a little tempermental occasionally but would always start after a couple kicks with out the hot start or decompression. I couldnt for the life of me get the 450 to even fire. Then the older man would hold the decomp. Slow kick it a few times and get it going. Sounded good i noticed him adjusting the idle.

I rode it on pavement it pulled hard but didnt snap the wheel up, is that normal for a 450? Im sure if i were to play with it a little i could figure out the power band and get it to power up but i was expecting it to be pulling the wheel up without trying as i was shifting thru the gears.

Im sure its been apart a few times it was supposedly rebuilt. Then sold to the guy i was talking to who swapped out the rekluse 4 spd with a stock 6 speed.

I guess my question is, trading a well maintained '01 2 stroke 250 for a less well maintained '04 450 sx that is mostlikely going to need rebuilt a good move? Im wanting a 450 and i only have 1300$ in my cr so getting a 04 ktm for 1300$ even if i have to spend $700 and have 2000$ in a good 450 ktm thats not bad. And i dont think i could find a better 450 for 1300$ 

The cons of the ktm is just leaky gaskets which from my research is semi common, someone spray painted the case covers on both sides and it looks clapped, and it was tempermental to start so it will need a valve job and if im replacing gaskets might as well do a full rebuild and get everything freshend up. Plastics didnt have any flaws or stitches. It wasnt dogged out just spray painted and wrenched on. (You could look at the nuts and bolts and gaskets and tell it had been worked on. Which is a flag but it was running 'pretty good'  not perfect)

So im basically getting into a project. Which I dont mind just wondering "if it runs is it easier to rebuild than if it dosent run"?  Or is it more easily acheivable?

So any 04 ktm 450 sx rebuild, valve, timing tips please. Anyone thats went from a 250 2stroke to 450 4 stroke? Or recently rebuilt a 04 450sx. Im excited and anxious, I know i will love the power delivery and low torque and top speed which im more comfortable with compared to my cr. And im ready for it. Just wanting to learn as much as i can about 04 450 sx pros and cons. 

Sorry for blabbering on. I just want need and i am ready for a big thumper i loved my crf 250 but even after opening it up, jetting and upgrading exhaust i was still craving more power, torque, and speed. My cr 250 did the trick for this past season but im ready for more. Im looking forward to building a 450 especially a ktm. So if its not going to set me back a astronomical amount im ready to dive into #projectbigborethumper!

Thanks for reading! 

I wouldn't take that trade.

KTM's of that era were nothing special. Everything else aside, you are trading a bike that was at the top of its class for a bike that was at the bottom.

Older 4 strokes are disposable. It's possible to spend more than the bike is worth to return it to good mechanical order.

• Like 1

What he said. Your bike is a lot more valuable and desirable.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By Ktm520sxrider
      Ready to seal back up

• By BigBossHogg710
      I have a 97 CR250 that just had a full top and bottom end rebuild, (brand new GENUINE 38mm pwk air striker carburetor and jd jet kit, running 93 octane and mixing klotz @ 32:1)Also has pro circuit 304 full exhaust, k&N filter. The full rebuild and carb was done by a licensed bike shop. Since all that was done the bike has maybe 3 hours on it. I changed the spark plug after the 2nd ride and it looked fine “paper bag brown”, put a new plug in the bike. Rode good and hard for 30-35 minutes shut the bike off and talked to my buddy for 10 minutes and the bike didn’t want to start. I kicked it probably 15x and it finally started took off went to turn around and it died another 10 kicks later started back up again and I was able to make it home.  Got home took the plug out and it was dry and looked extremely lean?? I’ve since done a leak test and I don’t have any leaks and I took my carb off and it looked spotless but I cleaned it all anyway. So why is my bike all of a sudden running so lean? No leaks and the carbs spotless nothings clogged up. The bike was jetted right judging by the first plug I pulled out of it “paper bag brown” and by the responsiveness of the bike. “Note” the day this happened there was a 5-7 degree temperature drop outside? I doubt that could be the colputate though?   93 octane klotz 32:1.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry about themisspellings and terrible punctuation I’m dyslexic as shit lol. Thanks! 

• By BigBossHogg710
      I have a 97 CR250 that just had a full top and bottom end rebuild, (brand new GENUINE 38mm pwk air striker carburetor and jd jet kit, running 93 octane and mixing klotz @ 32:1)Also has pro circuit 304 full exhaust, k&N filter. The full rebuild and carb was done by a licensed bike shop. Since all that was done the bike has maybe 3 hours on it. I changed the spark plug after the 2nd ride and it looked fine “paper bag brown”, put a new plug in the bike. Rode good and hard for 30-35 minutes shut the bike off and talked to my buddy for 10 minutes and the bike didn’t want to start. I kicked it probably 15x and it finally started took off went to turn around and it died another 10 kicks later started back up again and I was able to make it home.  Got home took the plug out and it was dry and looked extremely lean?? I’ve since done a leak test and I don’t have any leaks and I took my carb off and it looked spotless but I cleaned it all anyway. So why is my bike all of a sudden running so lean? No leaks and the carbs spotless nothings clogged up. The bike was jetted right judging by the first plug I pulled out of it “paper bag brown” and by the responsiveness of the bike. “Note” the day this happened there was a 5-7 degree temperature drop outside? I doubt that could be the colputate though?   93 octane klotz 32:1.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry about the misspellings and terrible punctuation I’m dyslexic as shit lol. Thanks! 

• By Br0ck
      Hey guys, I went on vacation all summer and let my bike sit (2002 CR250). When I got back I ripped it apart and cleaned carburetor and put it back together and it started fine and ran alright, but idled really high. I adjusted the idle screw and realized it was a ridiculous amount of turns out. I can't remember exactly how many but id say 6+ turns out. My killswitch was a POS and didn't work anymore so I replaced it with an oem replacement. My last ride I crashed the bike pretty bad and I was off the bike for 2 weeks. I can't get the bike to start ever since I got installed the new killswitch. I think I wired it right I just replaced one wire at a time and it looked pretty straight forward. I verified it by testing spark while holding it in I was getting no spark but with it in running position it would spark. 
      Anyway I am just looking for some base settings for the Mikuni TMX to get my bike running again, my carburetor has a 35 Pilot and 380 Main jet which appear to be stock. I am located in Edmonton, AB, Canada which is about 2500ft and usually ride between 10-25 celcius.
      Thanks for any replies. 
    • By Average Joe Moto
      So my bike :
      2001 cr 250 motor on an 02 frame with an Eric gorr 265 big bore kit.
      heres the story : I  bought a lectron and could never get it dialed and had a continuous issue with clacking (detonation or pre ignition) after several and i mean SEVERAL attempts to get it right a d going through the bike I realized this isnt going to work. 
      enter ~ technology elevated smart carb 
      the carb has the main pros I'm looking for single circuit, choke on correct side, on bike adjustability to the rod to make changes as needed. I'm about to install the carb and am confident it's going to be night and day compared to how the bike was running with the lectron.  I also made some youtube videos of my problems with the lectron... has anyone else had ... problems?  More videos coming soon on the smartcarb and how it compares to the lectron .. cheers.
      Watch "Lectron Carburetor on CR250 FINAL Review" on YouTube