Retro 230 L

Does anyone recognise which fuel tank this is ?

CRF 230 L by Deviantart.jpg

Edited by philjay
mistake 230 F. OOPS !

Probably Elsinore

1974-CR125-Elsinore-01web.jpg.65f6b3ea4a909d18f550c09f37b10095.jpg

That is Awesome looking.

Did the original 250 Elsinore have an aluminum tank?

Yeah, those 70's alloy tanks are amazingly light but they are getting hard to find in good shape for reasonable money. They dented easily and the vibrating old 2 strokes caused fatigue cracks around mounts and seams.

By comparison, the 230F tank and fake plastic shrouds is around 8 lbs vs a vintage tank in the mid 3's. I'm pretty fond of the old seats too.... they were like sitting on a sofa. In some ways we've gone backwards.

By the way,.. that bike is a 100% photo shop creation. You probably wouldn't be too happy with that tank capacity. It is inspirational though.

The old seats were softer but the metal tanks could make peanut butter out of your nads! Had to where a cup for protection for sure.

9 hours ago, woodsryder said:

Yeah, those 70's alloy tanks are amazingly light but they are getting hard to find in good shape for reasonable money. They dented easily and the vibrating old 2 strokes caused fatigue cracks around mounts and seams.

By comparison, the 230F tank and fake plastic shrouds is around 8 lbs vs a vintage tank in the mid 3's. I'm pretty fond of the old seats too.... they were like sitting on a sofa. In some ways we've gone backwards.

Totally agree especially about the seats.

Disappointing to hear that it's a photoshop creation.

15 minutes ago, philjay said:

Disappointing to hear that it's a photoshop creation.

Yeah seen that pic b4

250 Elsinore was aluminum, 125 was steel. The alloy tank I'm using for my vintage build (77 RM125 tank) weighs 2.8 lbs. It has a .050" wall thickness. The plastic tank that came with the 79 RM chassis weighs 4.7 lbs. Plus I cant paint the plastic "Tahitian Red". And yes, those alloy tanks do dent pretty easily (but they get that cool looking, paint rubbed patina on the sides) :thumbsup:

The 79 CR125 has an alloy tank that is distinctly Honda shaped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-HONDA-CR125R-ELSINORE-GAS-TANK-FUEL-TANK-17520-444-000ZA-AHRMA-VINTAGE-MX/263402802981?hash=item3d5407cf25:g:tCsAAOSwttVaP7qc&vxp=mtr

I have the 79 CR250 version which is larger and alloy. I also have the RM125 and 250 tanks. Both of which are a generic vintage shape and would look fine in Honda red. I wonder if Clarke would do a thinner plastic

tank on request? It would just mean using less powder in the roto-mold.

You are indeed correct Woods. The local skooder junk yard also had an alloy tank from the78/79 CR250. It weighed a shade over 4 lbs. The 79 CR125 tank? Haven't laid my hands on one of those but I think the shape's kinda funky. I like the RM125 tank better. The RM250/370 tank is a little bigger than the 125's. I don't need the extra capacity (for a vintage MX'er) and, again, I prefer the look of the 125's tank.

I went and checked that link on the 79 cr125 tank. 300 bucks. Ouch. With that big bash in the side and that dent in the top. Uh, no thanks seller, you're way overpriced.

Edited by Doogee57
add info

I don't have the number with me but my 79 CR250 tank was something like 3.2 lbs... certainly under 3.5?  The one you weighed must have the petcock, cap, some sludge inside and some bondo? I agree, the RM125 tank has a pleasing shape and could pass for an Elsinore if given the right paint job.

One of the features for the new frame I may never get the time to build,.. is to close in the top triangle to hold fuel. This braces up the frame and I could run the ultra slim tanks and still hold a couple gallons

You may be right about that Woods. I just remember that it was about a pound heavier than the RM tank. And yeah, it was a complete tank. Cap, petcock, and all the mounts with bushings, ready to drop on a bike.

I always dig this retro styled 230 pic every time I see it. :ride:  I really need to do something with my XL200r stuff to see how well it would adapt to the 230 frame.  Although I really don't care for how the tank sweeps up towards the front.  Maybe I'll look around at work for tanks and see what we have in the "graveyard".

20151004_082521.jpg