race tech fork emulators 86 xr250

So my suspension on my little xr is in need of a rebuild at the least but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the emulators from race tech are they worth the price they also seam like a pain to adjust if you don't get it set right the first try or does any one have other suggestion on what to do to the suspension to make it a little better its to soft now thanks for and suggestions in advance.

Forget the xr250 forks  move up to xr400 forks your bike will thank you.

the emulators work well in damping rod forks. Did a set in a TTR230 and the response was very good. 

Good to know the emulators make a noticeable difference other then bottoming easily and being a bit harsh over square edge bumps I don't mind the forks or the suspension at all I would consider myself a technical terrain junky give me the tight twisty rock and log riddle trail any day over a fast section when I do get to and open area that most would open it up in I find myself going even slower and use it as a rest time so the kinda bouncy suspension helps in some situations for me at least. I don't think its worth the cost of swapping the forks out when I think my lower skill level  wouldn't notice a huge difference considering my single track test trail I can ride my 650l though at just 30 second slower then the 250 in a 15minute or so loop makes me realize its more the rider then the bike.

Poor damping makes for poor contact with the ground, which makes for poor control. Worth the $120 or so it will cost you to install IMO

Were is the best place to get them cheapest I have found was eBay and they were around 160-180

I highly recommend you speak to Bruce Triplett.  He takes care of our CRF230 forks and he does amazing work.

Bruce's Suspension Service
350 Skysail Road
Salisbury, NC 28146
(704) 637-3675

brucetriplett@bellsouth.net
http://www.brucessuspension.net

Thanks for the help found some better prices also didn't know there was a street version of same number good to look out for I plan to try and tackle the work myself never done anything to suspension usually send to a shop but no better way to learn then to jump in and give it a shot. Also is there a aftermarket rebuild kit for the rear shocks all I have found is the head seal there got to be more then that to the rear shock. Also the rebound adjustment on the rear shock seams to have no stop I got to 80 clicks and gave up figure something must be broke in there don't know if I should waste money on trying to rebuild it or just try and find a good working used one.

The old damper rod forks are not worth the effort IMHO. "Cartridge" forks from a '96 or later 250 are much better, 400 forks better yet. 

2 hours ago, creeky said:

The old damper rod forks are not worth the effort IMHO. "Cartridge" forks from a '96 or later 250 are much better, 400 forks better yet. 

Agreed but depends upon budget.  For about $100 (+ seals if needed) Bruce will cut your springs to suit and modify your damper rods to suit.  For that amount of money you can not beat his work and you can not go wrong.  Late-model XR250 forks are actually not very good as they suffer from lack of rebound damping.

From another XR rider:

"Forks are 1984 xr350.....they really didnt work good, harsh and busy.....bruce calmed them down....i can fly through stuff i couldnt even imagine.....makes for more confidence in any situation.....for me i am happy.....i had race tech mods and i like bruces better.....wish he was doing this 30 years ago !!!!!!!!!"

More reviews here:  https://www.facebook.com/pg/Bruces-Suspension-322882327911267/reviews

Edited by VortecCPI
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, asway said:

Thanks for the help found some better prices also didn't know there was a street version of same number good to look out for I plan to try and tackle the work myself never done anything to suspension usually send to a shop but no better way to learn then to jump in and give it a shot. Also is there a aftermarket rebuild kit for the rear shocks all I have found is the head seal there got to be more then that to the rear shock. Also the rebound adjustment on the rear shock seams to have no stop I got to 80 clicks and gave up figure something must be broke in there don't know if I should waste money on trying to rebuild it or just try and find a good working used one.

The rebound adjuster has no stop Just set to number you want as only 4 clicks. You will not find good used shock for 30 plus old bike. Your shock can be rebuilt and revalved If the shock shaft is pitted or shock body worn out. Buy used one and re build and Valve. I have 4 Xr250r shocks on CRF230s   I use one 1986 shock and 3 1990 Xr250r shocks.

I wouldn't dump money into those forks unless you're trying to keep it legal for vintage class racing.  $170 for just the valves?

Put some USDs on it.  Even if you don't spring and valve them for your weight/style/ability, they will work astronomically better than the vintage wrong-side-down forks.  No matter what you do to them, its lipstick on a fat chick. 

For $150, you can get CR250 forks with the triple clamps shipped to your front door. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-97-Honda-Cr250-Cr-250-Cr250r-Forks-Front-End-Suspension-Triple-Clamp-Bars/263443276265?hash=item3d567161e9:g:ie0AAOSwdW9Z7Ur3&vxp=mtr

Pick your bearings here to get the stem to fit in your bike

https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

I've installed the Race Tech valves, also on a late '80's Honda with stock forks. Overall I'm happy with them, but they are a pain to adjust.

However, when thinking of both performance + easy adjustment, I'd say that USD forks are definitely a better option. Probably lighter too.

What about upping your game even further with the Tubliss system?  You can get an extra 1" of squish and a lot more traction, esp in technical conditions..

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, dirtjumpordie said:

I wouldn't dump money into those forks unless you're trying to keep it legal for vintage class racing.  $170 for just the valves?

Put some USDs on it.  Even if you don't spring and valve them for your weight/style/ability, they will work astronomically better than the vintage wrong-side-down forks.  No matter what you do to them, its lipstick on a fat chick. 

For $150, you can get CR250 forks with the triple clamps shipped to your front door. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-97-Honda-Cr250-Cr-250-Cr250r-Forks-Front-End-Suspension-Triple-Clamp-Bars/263443276265?hash=item3d567161e9:g:ie0AAOSwdW9Z7Ur3&vxp=mtr

Pick your bearings here to get the stem to fit in your bike

https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

If the seals were good and the tubes not all full of rust pits I would go for it. wouldn't I also have to swap out wheel and breaks doesn't sound like it would be cheaper.I don't think just because there usd forks means they are all better my rmx had usd forks and I thought they sucked on the choppy rocks and roots the xr forks the way they are now are preferred over those rmx forks.

I can't agree with just putting on USD forks . For plush trail riding they suck without lots 💰 to get right. Where xr4 fork great for trail plush.

3 hours ago, asway said:

If the seals were good and the tubes not all full of rust pits I would go for it. wouldn't I also have to swap out wheel and breaks doesn't sound like it would be cheaper.I don't think just because there usd forks means they are all better my rmx had usd forks and I thought they sucked on the choppy rocks and roots the xr forks the way they are now are preferred over those rmx forks.

The front brakes bolt up and work fine.  You can also make the stock xr front wheel work, but I just got a different wheel for $50 on my swap.

Have you added up the total cost of the XR fork revalve? 

I have done this swap.  I used 2001 yz250 forks and they are 10x better at everything than the old wrong side down forks were.  I can now pick my lines.  The bike is way more precise.  The old forks are bendy/flexy.  They dont turn as well.  They are less predictable on bumps.  

The front end will feel astronomically better planted with the USD forks.  Everybody who does the swap agrees.  There are very few people who do the swap and then regret it.  There is a reason that ALL racers in GNCC, baja, Endurocross, GPs, etc etc use USD forks.  Even the pros who raced XRs back in the day would run USD forks on their XRs.  And the USD forks they ran werent even as good as the ones you can get today on ebay for $150.

21 minutes ago, dirtjumpordie said:

The front brakes bolt up and work fine.  You can also make the stock xr front wheel work, but I just got a different wheel for $50 on my swap.

Have you added up the total cost of the XR fork revalve? 

I have done this swap.  I used 2001 yz250 forks and they are 10x better at everything than the old wrong side down forks were.  I can now pick my lines.  The bike is way more precise.  The old forks are bendy/flexy.  They dont turn as well.  They are less predictable on bumps.  

The front end will feel astronomically better planted with the USD forks.  Everybody who does the swap agrees.  There are very few people who do the swap and then regret it.  There is a reason that ALL racers in GNCC, baja, Endurocross, GPs, etc etc use USD forks.  Even the pros who raced XRs back in the day would run USD forks on their XRs.  And the USD forks they ran werent even as good as the ones you can get today on ebay for $150.

Have to agree with you on that one racing and USD forks. Ahhh but just another way to look at this. A ,old xr 250 not a race bike. Most all are fun play bikes. There riders not concerned about race bike go fast. They are after a plush easy ride. Lots of work to make a USD fork plush like a xr4 fork. So my recommendation stand's. 

Right not looking to build a race bike just a nice trail bike my friend I ride with has a 2014 or 15 wr we are probably the same skill level or close and I would think if I hoped on his bike I wouldn't be any faster my skill isn't anywhere close to make the difference in a good suspended bike show any better then a old bike. Looking into Bruce Triplett sounds like his work does wonders and the price is not much more then my local shop would charge just for a service witch I would probly have to have done with buying used usd forks so I think I am staying with the stockers and having them tuned. Hope its worth it if not I will just keep having fun with it seat time is the best way to improve my riding over any mod I can throw money at.