race tech fork emulators 86 xr250

11 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

Have to agree with you on that one racing and USD forks. Ahhh but just another way to look at this. A ,old xr 250 not a race bike. Most all are fun play bikes. There riders not concerned about race bike go fast. They are after a plush easy ride. Lots of work to make a USD fork plush like a xr4 fork. So my recommendation stand's. 

I also agree that USD is an improvement for motocross, etc. However, the stock forks can be made to do OK racing too. Not bragging, but in '96 I placed a class 5th at the Alligator Enduro on a '94 XR280 with stock forks with mods that I did myself.

scan0015.jpg

Edited by creeky
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 9:31 PM, asway said:

Right not looking to build a race bike just a nice trail bike my friend I ride with has a 2014 or 15 wr we are probably the same skill level or close and I would think if I hoped on his bike I wouldn't be any faster my skill isn't anywhere close to make the difference in a good suspended bike show any better then a old bike. Looking into Bruce Triplett sounds like his work does wonders and the price is not much more then my local shop would charge just for a service witch I would probly have to have done with buying used usd forks so I think I am staying with the stockers and having them tuned. Hope its worth it if not I will just keep having fun with it seat time is the best way to improve my riding over any mod I can throw money at.

Man I commend you for being rational enough to have the self awareness shown by that first statement.  Bravo.  A lot of guys in the dirtbike world are on a ravenous pursuit of the next best peice of equipment to make them faster.

That being said, I do think that a good consistent predictable bike can help a new rider learn about which techniques are most effective when facing certain terrain and conditions.  I'm not going to push you toward one option or another at this point.  Gold valves and the emulators are genius inventions that transform those old forks.

I think if you ever sold the bike, you could get your money back from a USD swap, by putting the stock forks back on and selling the USD forks seperately for probably exactly what you paid for them.  But, idk how much the gold valves change the value of the bike. And maybe you can sell those seperately too. 

You may actually want to hop on your friend's wr and get a good feel for it.  Maybe hop on an xr400 if you get the chance.  Its good to experience different things first hand and figure out what suspension you like best.  

Best of luck!

10 hours ago, dirtjumpordie said:

But, idk how much the gold valves change the value of the bike. And maybe you can sell those seperately too. 

Installation of the emlators also requires a mod to the stock damping rod as it gets drilled. Removing the emulators would not go over well. Like lots of aftermarket add ons, they rarely add actual "value" to the selling price. But they will in fact improve the action of damping rod forks. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys. I have now rethought the whole idea of bothering with the suspension at all aside from a stock rebuild. I am guessing its never been touched I think I got caught up on making the bike better then it is no matter winch way I go new forks emulators tripplet mod its still a 86 xr 250 and I am still an average rider I haven't had a lot of experience with a lot of bikes, 93 xr650l 79 yz250 89rmx and the xr 250 I can't say any one of those bikes were any better then the other different yes. But they all have the good qualities and bad. They are what they are when some one brings an old 60s mustang into my shop for a restore I don't tell the don't waste your money on that it will never be as good as a new car. They want its that way because they like it that way and out of the few bikes I have had the xr250 has brought a lot of smiles to my face and when i'm ready to push harder of faster I think it would be easyer and more economical to just buy a whole new bike with better suspension that I don't have to waste more money on. So thanks for the eye opener everyone keep an eye out for a tall gangly guy with an old 86xr 250 on the trails of central mn it will probably be me 😊.

I have an 86 XR250R and put in heavier springs to match my weight/skill level.  It overwhelmed the damping abilites of the forks.  So I installed the Emulators and it made a world of differance.  That said, I would probably go with the Tripplett way in the future.  Emulators are good but a bit of a hassle to tune.  Eithier way you decide to go for a trail/weekend rider the performamce upgrade is worth it.  Good luck.

Edited by WFO_Pete

Ok so I got the forks off and noticed there is compression clickers on the bottom of the forks I was under the impression the 86 xr forks had no adjustments other then changing oil weight and level are these forks off something else 90-95 xr cartridge forks or old CR perhaps there is a number on them kt1 L and kt1 R for left and right fork I assume. Any one know how to identify them.

Edited by asway

8 hours ago, asway said:

Ok so I got the forks off and noticed there is compression clickers on the bottom of the forks I was under the impression the 86 xr forks had no adjustments other then changing oil weight and level are these forks off something else 90-95 xr cartridge forks or old CR perhaps there is a number on them kt1 L and kt1 R for left and right fork I assume. Any one know how to identify them.

XRs didn't get cartridge forks until 1991 and even then they are sort of a "Quasi-Cartridge" according to Bruce Triplett.  Could be an early CR fork.